Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Dealership ruined my ceramic coating

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 05:33 PM
CraigA
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Dealership ruined my ceramic coating

CLIFF NOTES: Local dealership with good reputation for taking care of Corvettes ruined my ceramic coating and is taking no responsibility for it.

I wanted to pass along some information regarding an issue I am having with a local Chevrolet dealer. Recently, the harmonic balancer in my C5 needed to be replaced. I searched on this forum, and others, to find some recommendations on where to take my car. This dealer came recommended as one who both does good work and takes good care of Corvettes. Also, the dealer’s Corvette mechanic was recommended as doing good work. The mechanical work was done well, and my issues with this dealer have nothing to do with the mechanic or his work. I had this car professionally paint corrected and ceramic coated a few weeks before having this work done. Here are some photos of the car after it was corrected/coated, and as it was delivered to the dealership for service. The paint was as close to perfection as possible on a 17-year-old car:

After paint correction/coating 1

After paint correction/coating 2

After paint correction/coating 3

After paint correction/coating 4

When I picked up the car, there isn’t a panel that isn’t covered in swirls. It’s obvious the car was carelessly washed while at the dealer. However, the dealer is taking no responsibility at all, telling me instead that the car wasn’t washed there. Here is the car after visiting this dealership for service:

After dealership 1

After dealership 2

After dealership 3

After dealership 4

I’ve been attempting to work with the service manager, as well as the GM/owner of the dealership. The dealer claims that Corvettes are never washed, except at the request of the owner, therefore my car wasn’t washed. It’s a long story – I’ve talked to the service manager, the GM/Owner, they had me take it to their body shop for review, etc. The GM/owner and service manager are telling me their body shop says it didn’t happen there. The body shop manager is telling me I can quote him as saying he never said that, and he has no way of knowing what goes on in service. I have ample evidence to support my claim, and have provided it.

This dealer is telling me to pound sand. I spent a good chunk of money having the paint corrected and coated, and to fix the damage will cost more. I’m assuming this is why they are dodging responsibility. Regardless, I wanted to put this out there not just because I’m disappointed, but to remind anyone who cares about the finish on their car to do a better job of documenting than I did. It might sound a little much, but I would recommend walking around your car with the service manager, and even taking pictures with the service manager present if you drop your car off for service. If anything, you wouldn’t have to mess with the nonsense I’ve had to, and it’s more likely they would know you are paying attention and take better care of your car.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:56 AM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

did you record your millage ? dirty from joy riding ? clean up ?
Old 10-10-2018, 09:43 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I have video cameras my shop and one that I can take manually and walk to areas on the car when it goes in the shop so if the owner 'feels' I damaged it I can prove that I did not and they just were not aware that that damage was there when they brought the car in to me. The same holds true when I get into the engine compartment and interior.

I have been accused of so many issues on these Corvettes over the years that me covering my backside is what protects me from having to deal with a customer who feels I am damaging their Corvette. THANK GOD that my cameras are time dated due to I have actually had customers say they that I took the video AFTER I damaged it to say it was already there but the time dating on the different video cameras PROVES that is not the case....but they still want to argue about it and say I did it. Go figure.

Hate to read that you have a problem with how your car was presented back to you when it as serviced. Without proof...it is a "he said---she said" type of thing.

DUB
Old 10-10-2018, 08:23 PM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

also a good idea to carry a voice activated recorder. i have been doing it for years .
Old 10-10-2018, 09:15 PM
NONN37
Melting Slicks

Received 239 Likes on 198 Posts

idk about your dealer but the mercedes one near me has a state of the art car wash and use pretty decent products. but when I use to take my black merc I would always special note on the order to not wash the car because of this. if **** happens i can wipe down the fenders and polish them, but dont swirl all my panels. they always do complimentary washes after any service and its always busy so they just wipe stuff down really fast and hard.

Next time tell them to write on the order notes for no wash. maybe print a sign and put it on the dash.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:34 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

I'm confused. I though ceramic coating was supposed to prevent stuff like that? 2X harder than clear coat etc?

Get notified of new replies

To Dealership ruined my ceramic coating

Quick Reply: Dealership ruined my ceramic coating