Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Paint Dimples

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 10:12 AM
macs65
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Paint Dimples

front fender near windshield molding has a about a 6 inch around area of DIMPLES no bubbles. Had it repaired last year but it came back within 2 months.
I had replaced the front windshield a couple of years before and I did spray the frame with Krown rust Control. My painter wants to fix the problem but is unsure of
what needs to be done. The other front fender by the windshield was fine at the first repair however after getting car back it broke out in BUBBLES no dimples in the same
area as the other fender. both areas have stayed the same for the last year, no better and no worse. My painter said he has 2 other C2 customers with the same type of issue
however they did not use the rust control. The car was stripped and repainted about 28 years ago.

How can we fix this problem????.

Last edited by macs65; 10-20-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:35 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Dimples in the paint are usually 'fish eyes' where the paint surface was contaminated and the paint will have these dimples in them but it usually shows up the instant the paint is applied.

I have no idea on how large these dimples are.

As for these 'dimples' showing up AFTER the paint was applied and the paint was slick PRIOR to these dimples showing up. I would have to think it may be a shrinkage issue in the product(s) used under the paint itself.

Not knowing what the painter used in all the steps of what was applied on it can POSSIBLY be a contributing factor.

How he applied these products and if he allowed the needed flash times and cure times can be an issue and without knowing any of this. I am being forced to throw out ideas due to not having the total picture on what was done,

As for the 'bubblers' that can be attributed to contaminated fiberglass. And the area you mentioned is well know to do that due to the this area can have engine oils, brake fluid and moisture get slung onto it and then the heat of the sun will draw it into the fiberglass over time.

Having you car outside under a car cover does not help also....if it is stored like that

These areas will end to be stripped down to investigate the condition of the fiberglass where the bubbles are. As for the dimpled area...I would have to guess the same thing ...which,...once again...not knowing any of the specifics..I am just guessing here and that is what I would have to do if it is was in my shop because I cannot see the depth of these dimples an not know if simply sanding the area and applying more clearcoat ( if it was used at all) on top of it when I fixed the other side..

I know I would have to remove and grind out any contaminated fiberglass and apply more fiberglass and resin to make the area where the bubbles are a good surface to paint on.

Then the correct choice of what to apply on the fiberglass may need to be looked into to make sure it will perform as needed. I would gelcoat it myself but it all depends on what I had to do to correct the contaminated fiberglass I removed.

DUB
Old 10-22-2018, 08:08 AM
macs65
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DUB
Dimples in the paint are usually 'fish eyes' where the paint surface was contaminated and the paint will have these dimples in them but it usually shows up the instant the paint is applied.

I have no idea on how large these dimples are.

As for these 'dimples' showing up AFTER the paint was applied and the paint was slick PRIOR to these dimples showing up. I would have to think it may be a shrinkage issue in the product(s) used under the paint itself.

Not knowing what the painter used in all the steps of what was applied on it can POSSIBLY be a contributing factor.

How he applied these products and if he allowed the needed flash times and cure times can be an issue and without knowing any of this. I am being forced to throw out ideas due to not having the total picture on what was done,

As for the 'bubblers' that can be attributed to contaminated fiberglass. And the area you mentioned is well know to do that due to the this area can have engine oils, brake fluid and moisture get slung onto it and then the heat of the sun will draw it into the fiberglass over time.

Having you car outside under a car cover does not help also....if it is stored like that

These areas will end to be stripped down to investigate the condition of the fiberglass where the bubbles are. As for the dimpled area...I would have to guess the same thing ...which,...once again...not knowing any of the specifics..I am just guessing here and that is what I would have to do if it is was in my shop because I cannot see the depth of these dimples an not know if simply sanding the area and applying more clearcoat ( if it was used at all) on top of it when I fixed the other side..

I know I would have to remove and grind out any contaminated fiberglass and apply more fiberglass and resin to make the area where the bubbles are a good surface to paint on.

Then the correct choice of what to apply on the fiberglass may need to be looked into to make sure it will perform as needed. I would gelcoat it myself but it all depends on what I had to do to correct the contaminated fiberglass I removed.

DUB
Thanks for the info. I will try to get more info from my painter.
I do not think the dimples are fish eyes they are small about the size of a ball on a ball point pen and deep enough to feel with your finger in an area of about 6 inchs directly below the windshield molding D/side only.
the car is stored in a heated enclosed garage. The bubbles where not there before the dimples where repaired, there was a stone chip at the front of the P/S fender that was repaired at the same time as the dimples.
after the the paint was blowen into the repaired areas then cleared the bubbles appeared a few weeks later. maybe this area was contaminated at the shop.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:23 AM
macs65
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the info. I will try and get more info from my painter on the repair process.
The dimples are about the size of a ball point pen nib and deep enough to feel with your finger directly below the lower wind shield molding.
There was a stone chip that was repaired at the front of the P/S fender at the same time this area is fine . The repaired areas were blowen in and the top of the car was
cleared. a few weeks later was when I noticed the problems.

Get notified of new replies

To Paint Dimples

Quick Reply: Paint Dimples