Repair Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 08:30 AM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Repair Suggestions

2016 C7 Long Beach Red
Cosmetic repair suggestions needed for minor damage caused by running over hotel parking lot exit curbing. Don't want to replace the right front fender. Northern VA
Old 10-23-2018, 08:54 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Not knowing if this is the full extent of the damage due to no other photos are given. So if this corner curves under to give it strength at the corner. I am having a hard time in advising you what to do.

I would have to guess that using some fiberglass mat and resin for SMC is needed to build out on this shaved off corner.

Then the appropriate steps to get the lamination covered and looking good so primer and then the paint can be applied.

DUB
Old 10-25-2018, 02:04 PM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Price quotes ranging from $425 to almost $1000. One bidder said he would have to "repaint" door and fender. Even if that "repaint" meant just clear no way!
The following users liked this post:
Z06LMB (10-31-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 08:37 AM
DUB
Race Director

Having someone toy try to spot in this repair without fully clear coating the fender is possible...BUT...the chance that you can see the line where the fresh clear stops is also HIGHLY POSSIBLE,....which is why clearcoating the full panel is a common practice whenever possible.

AS for having to getting into the door. I can not see that but I am not looking at your car personally and I may see something that is not seen in the photo.

The $425 estimate seems to be more in line with what I can see it will take.

What may not be known by people who do not do this type of work for a living is the amount of time to prep the panel and make sure all is correct for excellent paint adhesion Then making sure the color that is mixed will work as being able to be blended into the existing paint. Because 'thinking' that if the paint is mixed to the prime color formula is going to be the exact color is an incorrect way of thinking. This is because often times there are 'variants' to a color which means that the factory did not get them all the exact same.

DUB
Old 10-29-2018, 02:29 PM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Default Clearcoat Mismatch Fear

I fear the new clear coat won't match the rest of the car.
One guy said he uses PPG 2020.

Originally Posted by DUB
Having someone toy try to spot in this repair without fully clear coating the fender is possible...BUT...the chance that you can see the line where the fresh clear stops is also HIGHLY POSSIBLE,....which is why clearcoating the full panel is a common practice whenever possible.

AS for having to getting into the door. I can not see that but I am not looking at your car personally and I may see something that is not seen in the photo.

The $425 estimate seems to be more in line with what I can see it will take.

What may not be known by people who do not do this type of work for a living is the amount of time to prep the panel and make sure all is correct for excellent paint adhesion Then making sure the color that is mixed will work as being able to be blended into the existing paint. Because 'thinking' that if the paint is mixed to the prime color formula is going to be the exact color is an incorrect way of thinking. This is because often times there are 'variants' to a color which means that the factory did not get them all the exact same.

DUB
Old 10-29-2018, 06:57 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by dfettero
I fear the new clear coat won't match the rest of the car.
One guy said he uses PPG 2020.
If SHINE is your concern....It all depends on how good the shine is on the clear that is on the car now.

If you are concerned about the texture in the clear...that has a lot to due with how it is applied and prepped prior to the clear beign applied.

I have never had anyone tell me that the clear does not match in texture or shine....Often times I buff/polish an adjacent panel to make the panel I shot with fresh clear now be not so noticeable and the adjacent panels had the shine brought up on them and feather out the buffing so I am not buffing the entire car due to its previous lack of paint maintenance..

DUB
Old 10-29-2018, 08:31 PM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Default Shiney enough?

Gyeon Can Coat with occasional refresh with Gyeon Cure

Old 10-30-2018, 08:41 AM
DUB
Race Director

By you posting a photo of your car... you should not have any concerns about clear not being shiny enough fi the painter know the product he uses.

Just make sure you let him know about what you use on the clear due to some of the products that an be applied on paint can have silicone and other types of new age penetrants for paint in them which makes the prepping process change so the paint/clear will actually stick.

If this product is anything like 'Cilajet' it DOES require a process to get it to be removed due to being so slick.

I can say that it would be worth his time to investigate IF there is s specific process to get his product you use to come out of the paint surface so other materials can mechanically or chemically bond to it. If he does not...there is a chance the paint can fly off in a sheet.

The reason I mention this was due to back in the day the dealerships would apply (and still may do) a polyglycoat product on the paint which will not allow paint to stick unless it has been removed. I got bit by this on several jobs and have learned my lesson not to ASSUME ANYTHING when it comes to what a person applies on their car. I need to see the product in the can/bottle that they use.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
dfettero (10-30-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 08:23 PM
2tired
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 74 Posts

Time for some Poly-Cracker!
Old 10-31-2018, 09:05 AM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by 2tired
Time for some Poly-Cracker!
I still have some of that "Poly Cracker" here at my shop but I do know that the 'Cilajet' product uses another product entirely to remove it. Or at least that is what they told me to use to get it to come out of the paint.

DUB
Old 11-01-2018, 08:16 PM
2tired
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 74 Posts

I haven't seen a bottle of that stuff in 15-20 years! I've not heard of the Cilajet before.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:35 PM
DUB
Race Director

I guess it looked like this.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Repair Suggestions

Quick Reply: Repair Suggestions