Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

door gaps

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 03:19 PM
rv7flyer
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default door gaps

I am finishing up body work and dialing in door gaps. The engine and trans are out of the car right now and I am wondering if they should be back in before I do final prep or will in not make a difference.
Old 10-31-2018, 03:28 PM
Vette5311
Le Mans Master

Received 1,255 Likes on 838 Posts
Default Yes

Originally Posted by rv7flyer
I am finishing up body work and dialing in door gaps. The engine and trans are out of the car right now and I am wondering if they should be back in before I do final prep or will in not make a difference.
Try to have all weight back in car and resting on the tires. Especially for convertibles.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:44 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

You did not give the year model you are working on. It does make a difference.due to certain eras have problems where other do not.

Definitely having the tries on it and on the ground is a MUST.

But for worrying about the engine beign in it ...I have done it that way and there is no significant change in the gaps at the front edge of the door at the top where the top hood surround is when I drop the engine/transmission in it.

Keep in mind I am also sure that the top hood surround area that likes to break away sometimes is secure on the 1968-1982 year models..

BUT.,..also...if you are super picky on doing these gaps and do not want any problems what so ever...then put the engine back in it. Due to not knowing the condition of the frame and other possible issues with the birdcage and or body mounts/bushings.

DUB
Old 11-01-2018, 08:24 AM
rv7flyer
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Dub,
I have a 73 coupe that's been siting for some time. My son and I started to do frame off years ago, he got married and now has 3 kids and will be moving soon, so I've decided to go it alone. I have read many of the build threads here and you always seem to chime in with the best advice. The body is obviously back on with new bushings, birdcage is solid as was the frame. The car hasn't seen the road since 78 so I think its about time.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:56 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Knowing it is a 1973 coupe. you can do this like I previously mentioned without the engine being in it. And knowing your birdcage is good and new body bushings installed. It can still depend on the gusset at the top of the hood surround that is shown well in the "Willforce 71" thread.

This gusset.... when it goes bad and detaches from the birdcage area. When the car is raised and IF jack stands are placed under the frame at the hinge post area and the car is then lowered on them. This can allow the gusset to pull away enough so that some of the adhesive/sealant GM used breaks away and can get between this gusset and the birdcage. SO...when the car is put back on the ground...the door gap at the top of the door is now wider.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To door gaps

Quick Reply: door gaps