Photography The section to share and discuss photos you took and talk about camera gear.

**OFFICIAL** Forum Photogs Intro Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2021, 01:33 PM
Nitro-C5

Received 3,102 Likes on 915 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'12, '14-'15

Originally Posted by kelalex
Hi Here is my Intro! I am much better with pictures than words
Years as a photographer 25 running my own photography business full time. 2 in college and 2 as an intern / assistant for commercial photographers in Dallas.
What got me into photography I moved to Dallas to study culinary arts, my Mom was a pastry chef and I wanted to become an executive chef and travel the world. When I left home my parents gave me a pretty good Minolta camera and I got to thinking.. I have an unusual way of seeing things and I took one photography class while I was taking all the culinary classes and I was hooked! Changed my major and the rest is history.
Genres I shoot Everything except newborns and babies, they kind of freak me out.
What is my strength The ability to access the location, client and all the intangibles and turn it into a stellar image. Anything you all want to know feel free to ask.
What is my weakness I would really like to know more about maximizing my Photoshop skills. I started with film and a darkroom and had to be carried kicking and screaming to the digital age
Anything published yes
Favorite all time photo I have so many that I love.. but this one has one of the best stories behind it: And this is just for all my Corvette pals on this forum.
We were in London, 2014 the Dallas Cowboys were playing the Jacksonville Jaguars at Wembley stadium. I am the executive photographer not the "sports photographer" and there are a few guys in management that think women should be cheerleaders and secretaries. As Mr. Jones and his 2 sons were standing in the tunnel we were told we would have 2 minutes to take photos of the Mayor of London ( now the prime minster ) and the Jaguars owner. So one of the guys mentioned above brought our sideline photographer over and said very loudly "hey I need a great pic of this, make sure you get it!" then gave me the eye. So it's time and we are all jogging out to the field for our 2 minutes, me, the sports photog, the mean guy, Mr. and his sons and about 40 other photographers. Well as a portrait and event photographer I always carry a flash on my camera. I use it at the stadium, outside on sunny days.. pretty much all the time. If you know how to use a flash correctly it is a wonderful tool!
Back to London... anyway we go jogging out and the lights are off in the stadium for a fireworks show and lasers and I hear our sports guy cussing and I am just smiling. And I turn on and turn up my flash. Only one other photographer had a flash a guy from London. So we all shoot, leave the field and the Cowboys win. The next day the the guy that brought our sports photog over had to come by and ask for my shots. Sadly I couldn't be a smart butt because he is upper management but ... it was great!! And this is my favorite from that night!

Websites and Social Media
Http://commercial.kellyalexander.com
www.kellyalexander.com
IG Kelalexphoto
FB Kelly Alexander Photography

Nice work, beautiful photo. Welcome to the forum and keep on posting! I just gave you a follow on IG as well.
Old 08-16-2021, 08:25 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,511 Likes on 821 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Years as a Photographer: 100% amateur here, been shooting seriously about 25 years with a greater focus during the last ten years.

Career/Profession: I have been constantly working since the age of 22 and initially worked in the clothing industry for three years but have been in finance for the last 26 years.

What got you into photography: My late dad always had a keen interest in photography and always had an SLR camera as far as I can remember. Just kind of grew up with it and I have a very special interest in capturing nature's beauty.

Photography Education: I have no training whatsoever, never even read a book on photography, everything I know (or think I know) is from trial and error.

What Genres do you shoot ie. Landscapes, portraits, macro etc... : A great deal of my earlier photography was limited that done on trips that I had taken, however, during the last few years I have been focusing on the gifts of nature.

What is your Strength/what could you teach: The only strength that I can think of (I am humbled by the fellow photogs here) is the ability to compose a shot.

What is your Weakness/what do you want to learn more about: Where do I begin...lol? I have no technical knowledge and I always feel that if I knew more about why the camera does what it does I would be able to stretch my abilities and improve the shots.

Have you had any work published: none

What is your Favorite All-Time Photo (post it below): It is very difficult to pick one photograph, almost like asking me which is the favourite amongst my three kids! I picked the one below. not for the photographic quality. but more for what it represents. The shot was pure happenstance and taken in a holy pilgrimage city in India named Haridwar. I walked onto a bridge to take some shots and looked down and saw this fellow "digging for gold" in the "holy river" Ganges. The purple body colour is not a flaw in the shot but his actual skin colour as it was taken a day after an annual Hindu festival where people throw lots and lots of colour on one another.

Do you have a website you would like to share: none

Do you have a Social Media handle you want to share: none

The following users liked this post:
kenmo (06-08-2022)
Old 08-23-2023, 03:00 PM
RockinRita
Heel & Toe

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Years as a Photographer: I caught the photography bug working at a TV station, I worked in commercial production and promotion. Bought my first DSLR in 2012 and never looked back.

Career/Profession: Started out majoring in Accounting in college but leaned into Marketing. I am now a full time Professional Photographer.

What got you into photography: I was at work at the TV station one day and the news director came into my office, handed me a camera and told me to take headshots of the new on air staff. I scrambled to find some online resources on how to use the camera and take a decent headshot...that shot me into a new career path.

Photography Education: Ahh..Digital Photography School and Creative Live have been my best resources.

What Genres do you shoot ie. Landscapes, portraits, macro etc... : I make my living with family photography (babies, families, high school seniors) and Boudoir. I love love love to photograph musicians...I dabble in travel photography.

What is your Strength/what could you teach: I don't feel qualified!

What is your Weakness/what do you want to learn more about: Indoor lighting.

Have you had any work published: I have, I have won a Telly and a Lone Star Emmy for my work on a documentary called "We Can't Forget Vietnam" you can search that on Vimeo.

What is your Favorite All-Time Photo (post it below): John Mayer, this shot was published in Guitar Magazine.

Do you have a website you would like to share: www.flickr.com/ritahogan

Do you have a Social Media handle you want to share: Insta: @Rita_Hogan_Photography FB: Rita Hogan Photography

Last edited by RockinRita; 08-24-2023 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-25-2023, 10:15 AM
Nitro-C5

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Welcome Rita, very nice work. I gave you a follow on IG as well
Old 08-28-2023, 01:47 PM
RockinRita
Heel & Toe

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you! <3
Old 08-29-2023, 10:10 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Years as a Photographer: 14 years

Career/Profession: Used to work in Fraud investigations for a large bank. I was laid off and decided to give photography a try full time

What got you into photography: Always have been interested but flunked my high school photo class. I then emailed someone for a 1024x768 wallpaper and they wanted 500 dollars for it. I decided at the point that Ill learn and take the pictures myself.

Photography Education: Self taught, its a continual learning process.

What Genres do you shoot ie. Landscapes, portraits, macro etc... : Motorsports, aviation, some portrait

What is your Strength/what could you teach: People seem to come to me with questions and I try to help as much as I can, I guess i am approachable.

What is your Weakness/what do you want to learn more about: Indoor lighting / post / color correction (my kryptonite)

Have you had any work published: 2 covers of Vette Vues Magazine, multiple photos in numerous issues.

What is your Favorite All-Time Photo (post it below): The #3 Corvette between turns 6 and 7 at Road Americas the rain begins to pour down. They would go on to win this race after the leading Porsche and BMW wreck in the deluge. I just wish I had been a little bit lower looking back.

Do you have a website you would like to share: KevinMBowman.com

Do you have a Social Media handle you want to share: Insta: Kbow_photo
Old 09-01-2023, 11:21 AM
Nitro-C5

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Thank you @KBow_Photo for sharing. Beautiful work, I also gave you a follow on IG page. I am Rick Belden Photography

Quick Reply: **OFFICIAL** Forum Photogs Intro Thread...