Photography The section to share and discuss photos you took and talk about camera gear.

Format and post?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2024, 06:39 PM
jerseydrew
Melting Slicks

Received 184 Likes on 88 Posts

Default Format and post?

Do you guys shoot in raw or jpeg?
how much post processing do you do?

i tend to shoot in jpeg and just clean up color a little and sometimes crop.

What is your workflow like?
Old 02-03-2024, 07:47 PM
shenango
Racer

Received 379 Likes on 145 Posts

Normally I have my camera set to save large fine jpeg files. My adjustments are done in a canon program called Digital Photo Professional. I think this set up is more than adequate for posting on the web or email.
If I am on a " purpose" shoot I set my camera to save 1 RAW file plus 1 jpeg file. I mainly use the RAW files for local printed competitions or for night time star images. In the next 2 months I will be trying my hand at solar photography and for that I will use RAW files.
Jerry
Old 02-03-2024, 09:16 PM
Nitro-C5

Received 3,087 Likes on 909 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'12, '14-'15

Originally Posted by jerseydrew
Do you guys shoot in raw or jpeg?
how much post processing do you do?

i tend to shoot in jpeg and just clean up color a little and sometimes crop.

What is your workflow like?
I only shoot RAW exclusively as it gives you a bit of latitude (in a non destructive manor) later in post production. I am personally not a fan of having a camera do the processing for me. As already stated if you nail the exposure and don't need to crop or really clean up anything in an image and you are primarily sharing to websites/social media etc... then JPEG is certainly fine as well. I put all of my images in to Adobe Lightroom and then export to PS if a lot of correction/work is needed.

I do the bare minimum amount of PP I can do to get the image they way I want it to look and/or how the image looked in real life. As we know our cameras have a limited amount of dynamic range so it will never be able to produce exactly what our eyes see. It also depends on the subject matter I am shooting. For example of Dancers in my studio I need to crop and sometimes add in some background (if they jump off the paper)... if I am doing head shots cleaning up blemishes on the skin is important...if architecture then I may need to shooting multiple exposures and combine later to do an HDR image....if automotive I may need to clean up some dirt specs on the car or blend in the lighting if using strobes....etc.. It really just depends on what I need to create. That said I am abit old school and believe in "Getting it right in camera first" instead of "fix is later in photoshop" type of person.
Old 02-03-2024, 10:41 PM
jerseydrew
Melting Slicks

Received 184 Likes on 88 Posts

I may start trying raw. I may have the camera do raw + jpeg for a few and see what it’s all about.

then decide later.

Get notified of new replies

To Format and post?

Quick Reply: Format and post?