CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Damn, I Just Found an Ugly Bowling Green Repair HooHa Swirl on My Hood! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3684676-damn-i-just-found-an-ugly-bowling-green-repair-hooha-swirl-on-my-hood.html)

Black&White 07-19-2015 08:36 PM

Damn, I Just Found an Ugly Bowling Green Repair HooHa Swirl on My Hood!

You know the one its about 3 inches in diameter all swirly from the repair buffers they use at the plant to grind out snot in the paint! Anyone have an idea what product to use to buff it smoother? Tried to take a picture but with the white it wont show up, it took me 6 months to see it myself but in the right light it stands out like a sore thumb. :willy:

Steve_R 07-19-2015 08:55 PM

Impossible to say without seeing it. Worst case wet sand and polish. If you didn't even notice it for six months I doubt it needs to be wet sanded.

Black&White 07-19-2015 09:10 PM

maybe a swirl remover?

JCar 07-19-2015 10:35 PM

Take it to a local detailed and let them have a look at it.

Steve Garrett 07-19-2015 11:12 PM

You really start a thread like this without a picture?

Crossed Flags Fan 07-19-2015 11:25 PM

Huh?

"it took me 6 months to see it myself but in the right light it stands out like a sore thumb"...
Really? 6 months later? It sticks out like sore thumb? And it happened at the factory?
Huh!?!?

Black&White 07-19-2015 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Crossed Flags Fan (Post 1590087390)
"it took me 6 months to see it myself but in the right light it stands out like a sore thumb"...
Really? 6 months later? It sticks out like sore thumb? And it happened at the factory?
Huh!?!?

Yup thats right.

Black&White 07-19-2015 11:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this is what I have on my hood deep marks from this stupid mini air driven sander on my hood. its exactly 2 inches who else uses a 2 inch buffer grinder?

owc6 07-19-2015 11:59 PM

I have a 3" buffer. It's great for all the curvy tight spots. :thumbs:

apex97 07-20-2015 02:19 AM

I am not doubting your damage, but I just did the buyers tour on Friday and saw the level of inspection that paint gets from the paint shop all the way down the line. In the last 100 feet the car is under very good lighting and no less than 7 people do nothing but look for issues in the paint, panel gaps and other fit and finish. When they see something at any point, they do a "kick out" and the car leaves the line, gets repaired and returns to the line. The idea that a 2" buffer mark would escape them seems remote to me...possible but remote. I witnessed several tiny paint flaws caught and marked for repair during the tour. The fact that you missed it until now supports that it might be something more recent of a coincidental size. Not being argumentative,but you should at least consider that possibility and not base the conclusion on a TV screenshot.

Black&White 07-20-2015 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by apex97 (Post 1590087880)
I am not doubting your damage, but I just did the buyers tour on Friday and saw the level of inspection that paint gets from the paint shop all the way down the line. In the last 100 feet the car is under very good lighting and no less than 7 people do nothing but look for issues in the paint, panel gaps and other fit and finish. When they see something at any point, they do a "kick out" and the car leaves the line, gets repaired and returns to the line. The idea that a 2" buffer mark would escape them seems remote to me...possible but remote. I witnessed several tiny paint flaws caught and marked for repair during the tour. The fact that you missed it until now supports that it might be something more recent of a coincidental size. Not being argumentative,but you should at least consider that possibility and not base the conclusion on a TV screenshot.

Yea Right, This is exactly what I have on my hood from the dam little air buffers. Guess What? lots of crap gets through the paint inspection process you didn't see on your buyers tour, GOOD LUCK! Click below.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-problem.html

apex97 07-20-2015 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by Black&White (Post 1590087918)
Yea Right, This is exactly what I have on my hood from the dam little air buffers. Guess What? lots of crap gets through the paint inspection process you didn't see on your buyers tour, GOOD LUCK! Click below.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-problem.html

Fair enough, this is my 9th Corvette and these cars have historically been covered with paint jobs that look like MAACO trainee rejects. Once in a while you get a good one but anyone looking for Porsche quality paint is going to be disappointed.

My point was that in spite of the occasional F&$k up, they are trying pretty hard to keep us happy. Maybe the new $400m paint plant will help.

rcooper 07-20-2015 08:26 AM

Try Meguiar's M205, or go to the Auto Geek site and find one similar if you don't like Meguiars products.

Red C8 of Jax 07-20-2015 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by rcooper (Post 1590088405)
Try Meguiar's M205, or go to the Auto Geek site and find one similar if you don't like Meguiars products.

You could use Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0, it works good on light to medium scratches.

Babaron 07-20-2015 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Red-C6 of Jax (Post 1590088628)
You could use Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0, it works good on light to medium scratches.

If that doesn't do the trick, you will need an orbital buffer and some light polish like M105 or M205 to do it.:thumbs:

Vetteman Jack 07-20-2015 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Crossed Flags Fan (Post 1590087390)
Huh!?!?

:iagree: but if it is that bad, take it to the dealer for a warranty fix. Hopefully they will do a great job. Or see what a body shop of your choosing will charge to fix it and see if the GM will reimburse you for the cost.

docf 07-20-2015 11:54 AM

You will like this product

Try OPTIMUM HYPER POLISH- Auto geek gives a demo on use. Rapidly removes swirls. Very easy to use and not time consuming. Important is to use correct polishing foam pad for applicationl. Set buffer at 1200-1600 rpms. Use ,light pressure, very little product. Final buff and removal of product after application with dampened microfiber towel.:thumbs:

Black&White 07-20-2015 01:22 PM

OK thanks Guys I will get some swirl remover and try by hand first! :thumbs:

rcooper 07-20-2015 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Red-C6 of Jax (Post 1590088628)

:iagree: Works great!