C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Weight excess

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 10:14 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by c05v3tt3
Interesting, I probably should have scrolled down further before responding to your previous post. I should also note that I don't have any vibration issues or drive-line issues at this time such as the infamous 70-80 mph vibration I've seen on the forum stickies. I wonder if the bent rim is from the factory or due to road conditions or both? If you've fixed (with balancing I presume) your own then it seems to me it may be more common then I would have thought. I'll have to check it out as you suggested to see for myself but it's not something I commonly look for when under the car. Good feedback either way though.
Fixed by balancing? Uhh, no...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-be-done.html
Old 05-16-2019, 10:31 AM
marinablu67
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 218 Posts

oem.
If the wheels were aftermarket, I was going to say that they could possibly be out of round. The tire manufacturers put a red or yellow dot on the sidewall that should be in line with the valve when installed, which aid in balancing(less weights)on new tires, but yours are 10 years old. How many miles on them? I wouldn't worry about the weights for now, and be lucky that you don't have any vibrations, but replace them soon.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:56 AM
c05v3tt3
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by K-Spaz
I skimmed the post since there were 9 pages with a lot of back and forth. In any event, it sounds like a tire shop and/or RR crossings were the culprit in your situation to a bent wheel(s)? That's not to say mine don't exhibit some out of roundness but hopefully less likely given they are OEM and have yet to be touched by a tire shop. To be fair, I bought the car used so I don't honestly know what the first 4K miles of road conditions were like. That said, I also wouldn't be comfortable using a rubber mallet to re-shape them but on the other hand I certainly wouldn't want to replace them either. At this time, I'm comfortable with the amount of weight used and solid driving experience but appreciate the insight either way.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:05 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

I skimmed the post since there were 9 pages with a lot of back and forth. In any event, it sounds like a tire shop and/or RR crossings were the culprit in your situation to a bent wheel(s)? That's not to say mine don't exhibit some out of roundness but hopefully less likely given they are OEM and have yet to be touched by a tire shop. To be fair, I bought the car used so I don't honestly know what the first 4K miles of road conditions were like. That said, I also wouldn't be comfortable using a rubber mallet to re-shape them but on the other hand I certainly wouldn't want to replace them either. At this time, I'm comfortable with the amount of weight used and solid driving experience but appreciate the insight either way.
All you need to do is hit a seam in the road and they bend. This isn't something new. I just helped another member find a similar issue on his car (also Zr1). I'm not really speculating here, they're bent. I'd bet you virtually every wheel on ANY car is bent to some degree, unless it's never been driven It's easy enough to check with your phone and a jack. Spin the wheel and watch the video. Pretty simple. You don't need a machine shop to diagnose it. As to "My car doesn't shake", well, that's because you haven't driven mine. Keep in mnd if you follow that thread and another of mine, you'll see that according to the Tire Rack, a tire that's out of round by more than 1/10th of an inch is completely within manufacturing tolerance and is a-ok A wheel such as yours with 1/2 a POUND of weight, is within spec. Go read their site and FAQs on balancing. So, there are varying degrees of acceptability. My degree is shall we say, slight.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:23 AM
marinablu67
Drifting

Originally Posted by K-Spaz
A wheel such as yours with 1/2 a POUND of weight, is within spec..
A 1/2 pound is 8 OZ. The front passenger side wheel has 12 weights @ 1/4 OZ=3 OZ! Looks worse than it is!
Old 05-16-2019, 11:45 AM
c05v3tt3
Racer

Originally Posted by marinablu67
If the wheels were aftermarket, I was going to say that they could possibly be out of round. The tire manufacturers put a red or yellow dot on the sidewall that should be in line with the valve when installed, which aid in balancing(less weights)on new tires, but yours are 10 years old. How many miles on them? I wouldn't worry about the weights for now, and be lucky that you don't have any vibrations, but replace them soon.
Right, they have 4.5K miles on them. I drove the car home 250 miles with no vibration issues and routinely held 70-75 mph on the highway with a few spirited runs to 100+ mph. The driving characteristics seemed solid to me aside from the typical road noise and the natural tendency to follow any pavement groves which seems normal for such wide tires. I have plans to change them out here after this summer.
The following users liked this post:
marinablu67 (05-16-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 11:46 AM
c05v3tt3
Racer

A 1/2 pound is 8 OZ. The front passenger side wheel has 12 weights @ 1/4 OZ=3 OZ! Looks worse than it is!
Fuzzy math I suspect but another poster did the math correct above so I'm good.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:25 PM
marinablu67
Drifting

Fuzzy math I suspect but another poster did the math correct above so I'm good.
Unless I'm idiot, 12 weights X.25oz = 3oz

Look at your picture, do the weights not say .25 on them? If I'm wrong, please correct me.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:38 PM
c05v3tt3
Racer

Unless I'm idiot, 12 weights X.25oz = 3oz

Look at your picture, do the weights not say .25 on them? If I'm wrong, please correct me.
You're correct, the fuzzy math was a comment towards another poster. No worries either way.
The following users liked this post:
marinablu67 (05-16-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 01:07 PM
marinablu67
Drifting

You're correct, the fuzzy math was a comment towards another poster. No worries either way.
It's partly my fault for putting "A 1/2 pound is 8 OZ" out of context! If one of my wheel/tires took 8 0z of weights, I would want to know what was wrong before I drove the car.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:27 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

The specs for Goodyear passenger car tires in the '60's, limited the max out of balance to 6 oz. Above that, those tires got recycled. Above 4 oz and up to 6, they got shipped abroad. Those less than 1 oz went to Detroit for new cars and all the rest went to North American dealers. I don't know what other manufacturers specs were (I assume similar), but that's why most new cars never had wheel weights.

The automated tire mounting machine at the Vega plant, could pick up a wheel from a supply line on one side and a tire from the other side, mount it with 32 psi air and transfer it to the auto assembly line every 7 seconds.
The following 2 users liked this post by HOXXOH:
marinablu67 (05-17-2019), mikeCsix (05-17-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 10:39 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
The specs for Goodyear passenger car tires in the '60's, limited the max out of balance to 6 oz. Above that, those tires got recycled. Above 4 oz and up to 6, they got shipped abroad. Those less than 1 oz went to Detroit for new cars and all the rest went to North American dealers. I don't know what other manufacturers specs were (I assume similar), but that's why most new cars never had wheel weights.

The automated tire mounting machine at the Vega plant, could pick up a wheel from a supply line on one side and a tire from the other side, mount it with 32 psi air and transfer it to the auto assembly line every 7 seconds.
Which is why I think I just learned a new lesson with tires last month. Never buy from a mfgr that sells tires to the factory. The Michelin tires I got are complete ****. Not nearly as bad as the Continentals I warrantied out (That a RF balance machine could not even balance) , but still not good. I used to buy take-offs from TR back in the 90s for my F bodies and I went years without having a weight on 2 of 4 wheels. I would buy 2 or 3 sets at a time so I had them when they had take offs available. They came from cars that went to SLP industries to become firehawks, and the Eagle GSCs they took off were sold for about 1/2 price. Those balanced perfectly, every time.

Since that time I put so few miles on cars I never took note that all the crap tires are sold retail. I REALLY got an education with this last purchase for my C6 where the tires are so bad, the mfgrs should be ashamed of themselves.

Quick Reply: Wheel Weight excess