Notices
C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Service Records - are you concerned?

Old 05-15-2019, 09:21 PM
DougandBeth
CF Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Photos

Old 05-15-2019, 09:26 PM
DougandBeth
CF Senior Member

I just spoke to the seller and he is the 2nd owner of the vehicle. He said he has done all his own work and did oil changes with Mobil 1. He has no issue having me bring the car to the dealer. He did say the one thing he does not want done to the car is a compression test. According to him, he gets concerned if the person doing it doesn;t know what they are doing can screw something up. He stated (not sure if this is accurate or not) that if there is an issue with the car the dealership computer systems will identify it. Here are the particulars on the car.

2011 Grand Sport, Manual
16,000 miles
2nd owner is the seller

I attached photos and will attach more
Old 05-15-2019, 09:28 PM
DougandBeth
CF Senior Member

Old 05-16-2019, 12:08 AM
ExxWhy
CF Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've never kept any sort of detailed record on any vehicle I've bought new and have never had a problem with the few warranty repairs they have needed. I can live with the fact .3% of the population would never buy a car from me because of it.

I don't blame the guy for declining the compression test. The car has 16K on it, odds are extremely high it is fine.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:53 AM
BackInBlack05
CF Senior Member

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I do all my routine maintenance. I write it down in the factory logbook. I keep no receipts.

My position is with no records I price it as if I were buying it at auction.

16K miles? I prolly woudn't fret. I have 135K on mine and a buyer might want some data.

On a Porsche, records can be a huge difference in price/saleability.

Last edited by BackInBlack05; 05-16-2019 at 12:59 AM.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:24 AM
FAUEE
CF Senior Member

Received 516 Likes on 425 Posts

At 16k miles all its needed is oil changes. What records are you looking for? Heck, at 16k with the 11qt capacity of a dry sump later car, it probably didn't even NEED an oil change, but good to do.

People freak out over this silly stuff. It has a fancy truck engine, it's not a fragile euro import.

You looking for an excuse to tire kick this one too, or is this something that actually concerns you?
Old 05-16-2019, 10:39 AM
extrapilot
CF Senior Member

Received 296 Likes on 274 Posts

Owners can create there own service records by inputting self service events for record keeping.
Go to https://my.chevrolet.com/login, create a account. Handy tool.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:47 AM
extrapilot
CF Senior Member

Received 296 Likes on 274 Posts

That underside looks typical for the year and mileage, would not be concerned at all and most importantly is the dry condition, no oily deposits. No need for compression test if it's running good.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:01 AM
TorchRedFred
CF Senior Member

Received 447 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE View Post
At 16k miles all its needed is oil changes. What records are you looking for? Heck, at 16k with the 11qt capacity of a dry sump later car, it probably didn't even NEED an oil change, but good to do.

People freak out over this silly stuff. It has a fancy truck engine, it's not a fragile euro import.

You looking for an excuse to tire kick this one too, or is this something that actually concerns you?
Guys are making a big deal about nothing. Look over the car, inspect and/or research for any prior accidents, and then take it for a decent test drive. If all those check out, then buy the car. Since I have owned my car, it's never been to a dealer or mechanic, and I have done 2 oil changes with no records kept.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:00 PM
Oic0
CF Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If it had 100,000+ miles or some major engine mods I would want w compression test. Bone stock under 20,000 miles? Barley broken in.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:31 PM
DougandBeth
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Oic0 View Post
If it had 100,000+ miles or some major engine mods I would want w compression test. Bone stock under 20,000 miles? Barley broken in.
Thanks everyone! I definitely wasn't backing out of this by any stretch it was just a rookie asking a question. Flight leaves Tuesday night and by noon on Wednesday I will be making the 17 hour drive home. Should be fun and looking forward to it!
Old 05-17-2019, 02:40 PM
ruxvette
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 777 Likes on 654 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by DougandBeth View Post
Thanks everyone! I definitely wasn't backing out of this by any stretch it was just a rookie asking a question. Flight leaves Tuesday night and by noon on Wednesday I will be making the 17 hour drive home. Should be fun and looking forward to it!
Hootyfrickenhoo...enjoy the drive!

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: