Sponsored by:

oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 09:19 PM
jnywadd
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default oil leak

Ok ladies and gents, I have a Moroso pan on this engine and the only way I could get everything to not leak is going with the original cork gaskets and just snugging the bolts incrementally. The engine is bone dry except for a leak out of the front oil pan seal, kind of like it could be tightened to seal it but if you do, it will smash the cork on the sides and it would leak there as well, does anyone have any tricks to seal this, add washers to the front bolts or something like that? Just curious as I don't want to have to take the oil pan off again just for this. By the way the felpro one piece never worked for me and I pitched it in the trash!
Old 04-28-2017, 12:32 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Put a dab of Permatex black RTV sealant at each joint between the pan gasket and and end seal. Your problem may also be that you applied too much torque to the pan rails and have distorted them. Tightening more will just make it leak worse, if that is the case.

Better gasket to use is Fel-Pro composition gasket (cork and synthetic rubber mixture). Pan rail needs to be flat; engine rail and pan rail need to be absolutely free of contaminants AND OIL (use volatile cleaner before installing). Install bolts and torque to 1/3 or final torque value; then go around again to 2/3 of final torque; then again to final torque. It won't leak.
The following users liked this post:
EarlyC34me (04-30-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 12:40 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,178 Likes on 2,738 Posts

I had similar problems with cork and 1-piece gaskets even after resealing the pan 3 times/using gasket sealer on the cork also.

I ended up removing the pan and laying it upside down on our granite countertop (when wifey wasn't home). The pan showed several "twists and dips" just bad enough to cause the gaskets to pinch in some areas while not sealing enough in other areas.

I used a plastic-tipped hammer/mallet to straighten the sealing edge of the oil pan so that it laid evenly on the granite with only minor gaps (less than 1/32").

No more leaks! I hope that helped you look for a warpage problem.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:58 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by doorgunner
I had similar problems with cork and 1-piece gaskets even after resealing the pan 3 times/using gasket sealer on the cork also.

I ended up removing the pan and laying it upside down on our granite countertop (when wifey wasn't home). The pan showed several "twists and dips" just bad enough to cause the gaskets to pinch in some areas while not sealing enough in other areas.

I used a plastic-tipped hammer/mallet to straighten the sealing edge of the oil pan so that it laid evenly on the granite with only minor gaps (less than 1/32").

No more leaks! I hope that helped you look for a warpage problem.
You did this on her granite counter ? I will use wife's oven to dry paint on parts when she is not home but working on the granite counter is suicidal. Hope she don't see the scratches !
Old 04-28-2017, 09:21 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Is the pan chromed? If the seal surface is really slick (as in plated or chromed) the gasket won't have anything to "bite" into and can crawl around.

Get notified of new replies

To oil leak

Quick Reply: oil leak