C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Why No Tow hook From GM?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 09:28 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

Default Why No Tow hook From GM?

had a Gm 100 octane tune put in my car last week.i had the roof off and stowed in the back.when I got home I put the roof back on.in the back was a formed tray that had a spot for a tow hook.the mechanic said he had to disconnect the battery for a reason.i had never looked for the battery.i pulled back the passenger corner rug and figured out the tow hook tray fit over the battery as a cover.he never put it back on.i have read GM has to include a tow hook for export cars,so that means they have to put in the tow hook bracket also.my question is why isn't it installed in our cars since they already have the parts and the tray to hold it.also is the tow bracket already there and all we need is the hook?
Old 07-23-2017, 09:45 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,425 Likes on 1,597 Posts

The receivers are present for the Z06. I agree, the tow hooks should be included.

Here's a related thread regarding install: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...xperience.html

Edit: ... and another one with a vid: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-rear-z51.html

Last edited by sTz; 07-23-2017 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Second link attached.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:01 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sTz
The receivers are present for the Z06. I agree, the tow hooks should be included.

Here's a related thread regarding install: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...xperience.html

Edit: ... and another one with a vid: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-rear-z51.html
thanks for the info.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:20 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,425 Likes on 1,597 Posts

The OEM GM part (#15234068) will fit in the molded styrofoam panel that you mentioned. I reluctantly purchased one... for about $85. Not as fancy as the aftermarket, but I only need it in the event of an emergency.

The following users liked this post:
SpeedRacerMach (02-08-2021)
Old 07-23-2017, 10:35 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by lordofwar
thanks for the info.

looked in with a flashlight just now and saw where it screws in.why not put it in the middle where there is a big hunk of metal in the brace to attach it?why on the side?it looks like the hole is in the middle of the blade part attached to the grill.looks like hook will hit that part of the grill.also just saw a lot of bugs and leaves in the radiator,so I did alittle cleaning.blew the bugs and leaves out with a leaf blower.

Last edited by lordofwar; 07-23-2017 at 10:36 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:39 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sTz
The OEM GM part (#15234068) will fit in the molded styrofoam panel that you mentioned. I reluctantly purchased one... for about $85. Not as fancy as the aftermarket, but I only need it in the event of an emergency.

thanks for the link
Old 07-24-2017, 01:21 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

looked in with a flashlight just now and saw where it screws in.why not put it in the middle where there is a big hunk of metal in the brace to attach it?why on the side?it looks like the hole is in the middle of the blade part attached to the grill.looks like hook will hit that part of the grill.also just saw a lot of bugs and leaves in the radiator,so I did alittle cleaning.blew the bugs and leaves out with a leaf blower.
The middle is where some need to mount a license plate.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:42 AM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

Please advise. I've read other threads stating these are only for moving car like at racing events (towing back to trailer if broke down). I've read they are not to be used for loading onto flatbed tow trucks due to them being off-center & that some tow operators won't use them. They use the preferred method with the Y shaped tow strap attached to points under car. Can be used to load onto flatbeds-Yes or no please? If any verifiable links to this subject please mention. Thanks!
Old 07-24-2017, 09:16 AM
jswatek
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by madrob2020
Please advise. I've read other threads stating these are only for moving car like at racing events (towing back to trailer if broke down). I've read they are not to be used for loading onto flatbed tow trucks due to them being off-center & that some tow operators won't use them. They use the preferred method with the Y shaped tow strap attached to points under car. Can be used to load onto flatbeds-Yes or no please? If any verifiable links to this subject please mention. Thanks!
Yes it can be used to load onto a flatbed. I see people do it at the track all the time. You have to reach in the window and steer though, at least from my observation.
The following users liked this post:
madrob2020 (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 09:47 AM
Larry Myers
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 78 Posts

had a Gm 100 octane tune put in my car last week.i had the roof off and stowed in the back.when I got home I put the roof back on.in the back was a formed tray that had a spot for a tow hook.the mechanic said he had to disconnect the battery for a reason.i had never looked for the battery.i pulled back the passenger corner rug and figured out the tow hook tray fit over the battery as a cover.he never put it back on.i have read GM has to include a tow hook for export cars,so that means they have to put in the tow hook bracket also.my question is why isn't it installed in our cars since they already have the parts and the tray to hold it.also is the tow bracket already there and all we need is the hook?
Cars sold in the EU are required to be equipped with tow hooks, thus all Vetts sold in Europe have them.

Not a requirement in North America so no hook/s.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:52 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Are these standard? As in my Audi and Range Rover, being European, came with them. Could you go to a junk yard and grab a $2 one out of any random European sedan and expect it to fit our threading? Or is every vehicle different?
Old 12-30-2020, 11:45 PM
holygrail
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default GM tow hooks_All different sizes

Originally Posted by davepl
Are these standard? As in my Audi and Range Rover, being European, came with them. Could you go to a junk yard and grab a $2 one out of any random European sedan and expect it to fit our threading? Or is every vehicle different?
Unfortunately, many tow hooks are not universal. I owned a BMW 335i and BMW M535i. Both tow hooks were identical. HOWEVER WITH GM, it is not even the same within same company brand. Another words, the Camaro’s tow hook DID NOT fit my C7 Z51.

I speak from experience!!! Most Chevy dealerships DO NOT have the C7’s tow hook in stock. So they cannot give you a lending hand if you need your Corvette towed with a flatbed. You’re **** out of luck if you do not have your own tow hook!

My C7 needed fuel injectors in April 2020, but GM fuel injectors for V8 motors across the US were all on back order. My local Chevy dealership who I’ve been a customer with refused to provide me with a loaner vehicle for an indefinite timeframe...since they did not know when Chevy factories would open up again for production due to COVID-19.

So I decided to tow my Corvette from Dealer-A to Dealer-B, an over 100-yr old Chevy dealership who were happy to provide me with a loaner car (took 3-mo to install my fuel injectors). The tow truck arrived but only had straps. Neither Dealer-A and Dealer-B had tow hooks. Dealer-A gave me one of their Camaro show car’s tow hook, but it DID NOT fit my C7. The dealership could not help me and after 70 mins of brainstorming and searching, the tow driver was about to leave. I had to look for a place underneath the C7 to loop the tow straps but there’s NO PLACE to loop the thick tow straps. Finally found the only one place. Some cars have skid plates, but the corvette has skid bars that protects stuff underneath when you bottom out on a dip. I was barely able to loop it through, only bc I had skinnier fingers than the tow truck driver.

Long story short, every Corvette owner should have a tow hook. As a matter of fact, as soon as I’m done sending this reply, I will purchase my own. It was $166 in Spring. Now in Dec2020, it’s $99. I DO NOT recommend the fancy $180 black and red colored skinnier tow hooks. They look nice but not as strong and thick as the OEMs from what I heard. This should be used for towing not for a fashion show. There are reports of the fancy ones breaking off during a flat-bed tow. It’s very dangerous if the tow hook breaks off. Your car will roll back with good momentum and can potentially kill someone walking by or cause a car accident on the street!! I was tempted to buy the pretty ones but if it breaks, then Chevy WILL NOT cover your vehicle. So I rather have my GM OEM tow hook break.

Oh and, I shipped my brand new C7 to South Korea 4 years ago since I was stationed there, and the car DID NOT come with a tow hook. Found out the hard way! So I always blamed the South Korean mechanics for stealing my tow hook until recently when I had get my car towed. The tow hook is an option when you buy the Corvette. Except, the sales person DOES NOT mention this part at all during option selection.

Now you know! This reply should answer a number of different posts.

Chris.
Old 12-31-2020, 11:53 AM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 277 Posts

The BMW tow hooks are the wrong thread pitch and size. Tried that too. Ended up just buying the OE one and throwing it into the back for that just in case scenario

Get notified of new replies

To Why No Tow hook From GM?

Quick Reply: Why No Tow hook From GM?