Possibility or Pipe Dream?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 11:51 AM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

Received 158 Likes on 131 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15
Default Possibility or Pipe Dream?

Could you take a driver quality C3 (68-72 preferably), apply some minor TLC (interior, paint, address mechanicals as needed) and break even on it say 4-5 years later?

Or does the expense of restoring a vehicle like this outweigh any additional value?

Assume the frame and bird cage are rust free and purchase price is under $18K. And the restoration is just to make it nicer driver quality or a bit better. Not frame off, NCRS credential. This is all hypothetical at this point, I'm just talking out loud and interested to hear thoughts from those that have C3's. Thanks.

Last edited by imgn tht; 07-26-2017 at 11:33 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:08 PM
Wee
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 237 Posts

If you can do all the work yourself and don't expect to get paid for your labor......Maybe....I think paint is the biggest expense you listed above....Leave that off the list and get lucky and I say yes you could.

Example....I bought a 72 a couple of years ago for 13,300. I now have 16,750 in it including every nut & bolt, piece of sandpaper all the way down to tax and title. I think I could get 18,000 for it no problem....In 3 more years and a lot of additional free labor it might just bring 20,000. It needs paint...If I spent the 10 grand I'm told it would take to paint it there is no way I would recoup that money in the next 3 years, it's not a 30,000 dollar car....JMO

Brian
Old 07-26-2017, 12:38 PM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Originally Posted by Wee
If you can do all the work yourself and don't expect to get paid for your labor......Maybe....I think paint is the biggest expense you listed above....Leave that off the list and get lucky and I say yes you could.
Brian
Good point, I failed to mention in my original comment that I would plan to do all labor myself. Paint would have to be outsourced though, so if I'm going to pursue anything, I'd try to find one with good enough paint. On that point, these older cars have lacquer if I understand correctly. Does that preclude me from doing a paint correction with multiple step polishes to remove swirls and bring it back to life?
Old 07-26-2017, 01:17 PM
kingkohlmn
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by imgn tht
Could you take a driver quality C3 (68-72 preferably), apply some minor TLC (interior, paint, address mechanicals as needed) and turn a profit on it say 4-5 years later?

Or does the expense of restoring a vehicle like this outweigh any additional value?

Assume the frame and bird cage are rust free and purchase price is under $18K. And the restoration is just to make it nicer driver quality or a bit better. Not frame off, NCRS credential. This is all hypothetical at this point, I'm just talking out loud and interested to hear thoughts from those that have C3's. Thanks.
IMO, TLC and restoring do not go together. TLC to me means if you don't have it painted and you address the other issues (this means fixing, replacing with items that are not original or the best quality) you could make a profit in a few years. Restoring to me means you are trying to keep as close as possible to original. And this possibly encompasses some major work = $$$. Again, to me TLC has a different meaning than restoring.
Thanks Bill.
The following users liked this post:
imgn tht (07-26-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 01:19 PM
Revi
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 136 Posts

Nope
Old 07-26-2017, 02:21 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi img,
"On that point, these older cars have lacquer if I understand correctly. Does that preclude me from doing a paint correction with multiple step polishes to remove swirls and bring it back to life"

Yes the 68-72 cars originally had acrylic lacquer paint on them.
Acrylic lacquer responds very well to buffing and polishing…. but… originally the cars had VERY LITTLE exterior paint on them so it's VERY easy to rub through the paint to the primer.
This also happens because many original paint cars have been buffed and polished already during their life. So SOME paint has ALREADY been removed.
The best scenario might be a car with an old acrylic lacquer repaint on it that's had more paint put on it than what was typical for St.Louis.

I'm referring here to 'ordinary' cars, not special or rare cars…...
In my view it's the cost of an excellent paint job and the cost of re-chroming the bumpers and grills that can lead to someone having more money in a 68-72 than they can immediately recoup when selling it shortly after doing the work. The ordinary restorer can't do those 2 things so must pay someone to do an excellent job.
As the years go by IF the car is maintained well the owner MIGHT get to a break-even point…. but profit? Not likely I'm afraid.

Buy it because you like it and want to have one…not because it'll make you a $.

Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 07-26-2017 at 02:22 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Alan 71:
CameronC (07-26-2017), imgn tht (07-26-2017), Metalhead140 (07-27-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 03:06 PM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Thanks Alan. I actually would like to have one, not just trying to flip it quickly for profit. I currently own a C5 with basic bolt on mods. I like to tinker but the C5 I am considering "done' as the only items I would likely do next are big ticket items and I couldn't do myself. In reality I have probably at least 5-7 years before I can get into a newer C6 GS, so I thought it could be nice to try a C3 that I could purchase with cash (via sale of my C5) and then use any extra to put in the TLC needed. Over the next 5-7 years I can tinker and make the C3 nicer for the next caretaker.

My thought is the C5 is only going to continue to depreciate, whereas an older model if nicely kept, could potentially appreciate in value over the upcoming years. But if I end up in a money pit with the C3, then there would have been no use in me going down that road.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:19 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by imgn tht
Could you take a driver quality C3 (68-72 preferably), apply some minor TLC (interior, paint, address mechanicals as needed) and turn a profit on it say 4-5 years later?
A used Chevy makes a poor investment vehicle.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:19 PM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

I can appreciate buying a Corvette-for any reason, especially on a Corvette Forum.
Realistically, if you have a desire to make any money flipping a car, there are better choices out there for that purpose.
Buy the Corvette because you want one because it's a Corvette, not a representation of dollars/potential profit.
I get the reasoning some people may have-"I always wanted a Corvette, I'll have some fun with it, then sell it in a couple of years for a profit", to justify the purchase (unfortunately it doesn't always work out that way).
Old 07-26-2017, 03:34 PM
Tiger Joe
Drifting

Received 518 Likes on 344 Posts

No.

in general, vehicles are a very poor financial investment. with a C3, I would say if you bought, spent money upgrading/maintaining for a few years, and were ago to sell and walk away at net $0, that's a win in my book.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:50 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Revi
Nope
Originally Posted by Mr D.
A used Chevy makes a poor investment vehicle.
Originally Posted by tokim
if you have a desire to make any money flipping a car, there are better choices out there for that purpose.
Originally Posted by Tiger Joe
No.
in general, vehicles are a very poor financial investment.

Classic cars in general are a very poor investment plan. These are toys.... a hobby. It would be like buying golf clubs with the intent to sell then for a profit later. That`s not why you buy them. You buy them to play with, & enjoy. I would say Tiger Joe is right.... if you break EVEN.... consider that a gain!
Old 07-26-2017, 04:01 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

You can make a small fortune flipping these cars, you just have to start with a large fortune. Really, buy a car that is good as you can afford and enjoy it. Jerry
Old 07-26-2017, 05:02 PM
general ike
Melting Slicks

Received 792 Likes on 452 Posts
2017 C3 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '20- '21

There is no way to answer the question since no one can predict the value of these cars in 4-5 years correctly. The value of any "antique" ebbs and flows with the economy, peoples desires, the age of the population with disposable income.

My thought is that you want what you could not have, afford, when you were young. Now that your older and may be financially capable of buying it there is a demand. But as we age out and the next age group comes along these demands may change.

So who knows what they will be worth?? Ike
Old 07-26-2017, 06:14 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,414 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

NO is the correct answer. The buyers of the cars in the future are millennials.

When the millennials are in charge,.....our cars will be banned an unnecessary machines ruining the environment, and we will all be driving electric cars, wearing sandals, riding bicycles, and living in tiny houses. As a whole, they have no interest in baby boomer interests, and in fact believe all to be detrimental to the planet's future...!

Bye bye 70's muscle cars and Harleys.

Last edited by Torqued Off; 07-26-2017 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:38 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

At some point in the near future the bottom is going to fall out of the muscle car market faster than Paris Hilton can drop her panties.

Research the Model T market.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:10 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,936 Posts

I don't think you can make money buying a classic corvette, doing a little work and selling it for a profit. If you get lucky and find that really nice all original car that has been babied by the original owner, who has to sell it cheap, then park it in a garage, dust it off occasionally, then sell it in ten years, then yes you may make a small chunk of money on your investment. The best return on buying a classic corvette, is turning the wrenches and driving them down the road without thinking about the money you've put into it. It's just money and it's just my opinion.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:13 PM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Thanks all. I think you got your points across and I appreciate the insight and fellowship. If I do decide to move forward with a C3, I'll go into it for the joy of owning a classic Vette and not for any thought of coming out ahead down the road.
The following users liked this post:
Torqued Off (07-26-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Possibility or Pipe Dream?

Old 07-26-2017, 07:15 PM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
The best return on buying a classic corvette, is turning the wrenches and driving them down the road without thinking about the money you've put into it.
This is a great way to think about it. Thank you.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:18 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,936 Posts

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone

When the millennials are in charge,.....our cars will be banned an unnecessary machines ruining the environment, and we will all be driving electric cars, wearing sandals, riding bicycles, and living in tiny houses. As a whole, they have no interest in baby boomer interests, and in fact believe all to be detrimental to the planet's future...!

Bye bye 70's muscle cars and Harleys.
"WE" will probably have tiny houses with large garages where we will be trying to make our solar electrical cars run faster, and handle better. It's what we do and there will be no changing that. Just imagine Alan71's pristine corvette with an electric motor, red paint and original rally wheels. Very Nice!
Old 07-26-2017, 09:05 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Spending your evenings delivering Pizza in the restored Vette is about the only way I can think of that would bring in positive cash flow...

Quick Reply: Possibility or Pipe Dream?