To Keep, or Not To Keep

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 06:08 PM
nykbob
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default To Keep, or Not To Keep

That is the question...

Yes I'm keeping my 1974 convertible corvette, that I recently acquired from a forum member. But I'm speaking about the nose emblem. When I got the car shipped to me I noticed the nose emblem had cracks in the red glass part. I planned on replacing it with a new one.

The car was at a shop for a check-over and an indoor cover was placed on it while it was outside. A flash rain came up followed by hot sun. When the car cover was removed, the red in the emblem was missing. It had melted and stuck to the car cover.

So I have a nose emblem with no red background. I figured no big deal as I was going to replace it anyway. But the more I look at it a realize it is totally unique with a story, the more I think I might keep it.

What are your thoughts?

Old 09-23-2017, 06:33 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

I like it, do you?

Purists will hate it because they have to, i think its on page 134 section 13 of the handbook,

Ok, kidding aside, if you like it run it,
Old 09-23-2017, 06:50 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I would still keep it as a keepsake or something to put on your tool box or whatever...and that also means putting it on your car if you plan on repainting it.

I have had emblems like this where the red fell out....and the car was not red...and I used a different colored liquid acrylic and made it unique for the owner. I have only done two of them.....one was blue and the other was orange for a candy orange paint job. The acrylics where like the red...you can still see through the starburst effect in the emblem.

DUB
Old 09-23-2017, 07:11 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

people see a nice shiny red corvette and move closer and focus on that which looks like something the cat dragged in

Nice shiny cars deserve nice shiny emblems
Old 09-23-2017, 08:50 PM
raydog9379
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Up to you no matter what folks say. Your paint looks nice, if it was me I'd replace. But that's me. When I had my car repainted years ago, I bought NOS emblems all around and they put them on. They weren't cheap, but neither was my paint job.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:26 AM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

It looks kinda interesting without the red.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:16 AM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,414 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I like the personal touch of a your own unique emblem. As you can see in my post header to the left, I made mine personal.

The factory 77 emblems are junky looking with flashing, mold marks and poor chrome. I took my original emblems and filed and sanded all the flash marks, edges, and corners till they were perfect looking. In doing this I went through the chrome in many spots, so I then took Scotchbrite and buffed the entire emblem, giving it a pewter or brushed aluminum look. That matches the other points on the car like the YJ8 wheels, steering wheel spokes, and lower rocker panel. I was going to repaint with the correct colors, but realized my car has three predominant colors - orange, black and silver, so painted the emblem satin black as you can see. Used lacquer thinner to remove all the black from the surface edges.

I think its cool, perfect styling and correct for my car. The emblems now look like high-end emblem versus cheap looking junk the originals appear.

Your emblem now has that styling option. I like the way it looks now, but you could also repaint that missing red background area with a unique color that matches some other styling point on the car....could be red, black, silver, ??

Obviously, the wheels on your car are not correct original, so I assume you are not a NCRS museum car keeper, so think about something to make this emblem unique. Its fun.

Last edited by Torqued Off; 09-24-2017 at 06:26 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:55 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,295 Likes on 3,920 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

it looks better without the red

Get notified of new replies

To To Keep, or Not To Keep

Quick Reply: To Keep, or Not To Keep