Sponsored by:

Gas cap lock mechanism stuck - complaining within

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 10:16 PM
TheGrabulator
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas cap lock mechanism stuck - complaining within

Hey, I just wanted to complain about something that is infuriating and definitely a design oversight on the C7 Corvette.

My C7 has 10,000 miles on it and the gas door locking mechanism failed in the locked position today at a gas station.

Normally I would not be bothered by this too much because it's a machine and stuff breaks. I am a little annoyed though because these aren't cheap cars and I expect the mechanism to last more than 10k miles.

However, I became infuriated when I went to find the emergency release pull handle in the hatch (like my C6 had) only to discover the C7 does not have an emergency release handle. To make matters worse, the solution to this problem is to practically rip the gas door off of the hinge frame behind the cover.

Dear GM: How is this, in any universe, acceptable? Who made the decision to remove the $0.50 emergency fuel door release handle in GM's design department? I would have payed $1 more for my car to have this feature. Especially since they use a craptastic 'Made in China' lock actuator that fails in 10,000 miles. Whoever made this decision should be cheerfully flogged about the head and neck in a public setting.

The C7 is a great car, but it's build quality stuff like this that drives me nuts. How much does it cost to add the pull handle. Seriously.

/Rant
Old 09-24-2017, 10:18 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

When you get it open, insert a plug in the locking hole. It'll never lock but it'll work just fine.

For plug --> https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1589309617

or this

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1594738256

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 09-24-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:23 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

^^^
Just did mine!

Lived with my 2014 Z51 for 3 1/2 years without having an issue. However there have been many forum posts in those 4 years with folks who have (OP needs to frequent the Forum more often ). Not easy to open at a filling station. Best to bring it home: 1) remove the driver's side rear wheel then 2) remove the screws from the front inner fender well liner and 3) pull back, reach in and pull the arm with the locking pin. Can replace if desired that same way.

With my Grand Sport had it not unlock twice. Was it something I didn't do like pushing the unlock button on the door panel when I got out? Yep the gas lid is considered a door so does not open when I open my driver's door as I have locks set to only open the driver's door.

Hit the door open button on my FOB and after several tries it opened. Installed the blocking Scrivit the other day! Easy to do and now no locked lid issue! It still latches with the spring loaded one that holds it closed, the same as it did before. Just no lock.

Below are pics of the two piece Scrifit I found in my stash of "stuff." Just picked one that fit the hole in the bracket on the lid. The lock is motorized arm. It operates by a motor and only works momentarily to lock and unlock. Folks have used for over 3 years and no issues with the motor. It can handle that momentary application with the pin just hitting the Scrivit. Easily reversed if desired.

Scrivit just fits in hole in door lid bracket.

Motor with locking arm and pin.

Last edited by JerryU; 09-24-2017 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:33 AM
Steve Carter
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Did my gas door fix over a year ago when this was first posted.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:32 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Might as well summarize all the solutions again here.....
Ultimate solution is to remove the actuator, no more locking or clicking...
Above is my actuator on the garage floor..

I can give you the name of the guy who designed this system, but I think he works for FORD now..

NOTE: one reason it would be more difficult to have a manual release is that this is no longer just a spring loaded pin.
To move the pin you have to flex the locking arm, or move the arm against the resistance of the gear drive on the motor.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 09-24-2017 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:50 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
When you get it open, insert a plug in the locking hole. It'll never lock but it'll work just fine.

For plug --> https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1589309617

or this

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1594738256

Elmer
Yep . . .

Old 09-24-2017, 05:49 PM
Virtual Geezer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGrabulator
The C7 is a great car, but it's build quality stuff like this that drives me nuts. How much does it cost to add the pull handle. Seriously.

And The General tends to use inferior stuff like this throughout the entire production run of a generation. The locking unit should be designed to fail in the OPEN position, not LOCKED. Stupid is as stupid does.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:57 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Virtual Geezer

And The General tends to use inferior stuff like this throughout the entire production run of a generation. The locking unit should be designed to fail in the OPEN position, not LOCKED. Stupid is as stupid does.
True, but if I remember correctly, even on the C5, the fuel door lock was designed to fail in the locked position. You had to push a button to get it to release and pop open, so if the button failed, it was locked...Difference is they did provide a manual release.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:28 AM
TheGrabulator
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the replys.

I did read about the plastic rivet installation, but only AFTER I tried to put gas in my car with a stuck cap. I just assumed it had a pull cord like my last car.

I will be doing the cap mod.

Thanks!
Old 09-25-2017, 06:08 AM
vettnutt
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

I had this issue until I realized that pushing the door unlock button after exiting the car would unlock the gas door as well.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:56 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

That does not work when the fuel door locking door mechanism malfunctions, which has happened to a lot of folks, and what this thread is about. As a result, many of us use a plug to preclude that possibility.

Locking fuel doors are worthless anyway. They can easily be pried open, but not without damage. Of course, vandals don't care how much damage they cause.

Last edited by Foosh; 09-25-2017 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:22 PM
Slappy3243
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
That does not work when the fuel door locking door mechanism malfunctions, which has happened to a lot of folks, and what this thread is about. As a result, many of us use a plug to preclude that possibility.

Locking fuel doors are worthless anyway. They can easily be pried open, but not without damage. Of course, vandals don't care how much damage they cause.
I would like to do this on my car since I wouldn't like to get stuck. Which part number did you use? I see a few different ones in the thread you referred to. I appreciate it.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:59 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Just go to any auto parts store. Take your car with you and look at the hole size. You'll find trim fasteners or plugs that will fit securely.
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 06:10 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

It is about 3/8", but note that the hole is not round if that is the route you take.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:20 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Somebody else posted about having his gas door stuck closed, used a couple of credit cards to pop the door off its hinge without damage. That sounds like the best setup, but I can't find the post to save it.

I prefer the locking door, it deters the casual goofs and should make it obvious if someone pries it open to dump junk in the tank.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:53 PM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Somebody else posted about having his gas door stuck closed, used a couple of credit cards to pop the door off its hinge without damage. That sounds like the best setup, but I can't find the post to save it.

I prefer the locking door, it deters the casual goofs and should make it obvious if someone pries it open to dump junk in the tank.
See post #106

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-unlock-6.html
Old 09-25-2017, 11:18 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Kind of stupid all around. My "17 GMC doesn't have it. It like the Corvette has the self sealing filler neck.

Get notified of new replies

To Gas cap lock mechanism stuck - complaining within

Old 09-25-2017, 11:21 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim

LOL . . . it is highly unlikely that "casual goofs" could "dump junk in the tank." You can't get anything in the tank without a special funnel, even fuel. Moreover, if they're "casual goofs," why are they carrying around junk to dump in gas tanks?

If you think the locking door provides you with protection, your choice. It's a piece of cake to pry open that flimsy door and offers virtually no protection. I think it just means the "casual goof" will very easily pry your door off w/ damage only to find they can't "dump junk in the tank," because they forgot the special funnel.

Last edited by Foosh; 09-25-2017 at 11:33 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:32 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Foosh
LOL . . . it is highly unlikely that "casual goofs" could "dump junk in the tank." You can't get anything in the tank without a special funnel, even fuel.

If you think the locking door provides you with protection, your choice. I think it just means the "casual goof" will pry your door off w/ damage only to find they can't "dump junk in the tank."
A handful or sand or something gritty or any other contaminant, can be poured into the filler neck. Most of it won't go past the second flapper, but will sit there until the next time you buy gas and then get washed downstream.

Maybe the filter will catch it all and just give you a huge headache replacing the filter. Or maybe some of it will go through and you'll wonder why you engine has started burning oil.

If the perp has to pry the door off or open, that tells us something is wrong and to inspect carefully before starting the engine.

If the only alternative was to use the plug to deactivate the lock, I'd do it. But with the pop-off method being so easy, I'll keep the "tools" with me for use if needed.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:34 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Like I said, you make your choice, I made mine, which is to leave it unlocked w/ a plug. You can choose damaged door and junk or just junk, both of which are very low probability. The probability is much higher that the locking mechanism will malfunction, and I don't think it offers any real protection anyway.

What are you going to do if you find your locked door messed with and damaged, call a flatbed?

Last edited by Foosh; 09-26-2017 at 12:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
owc6 (09-26-2017)

Quick Reply: Gas cap lock mechanism stuck - complaining within