Sponsored by:

Spare tire locks

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 09:25 AM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 194 Posts
Default Spare tire locks

So I had a little time yesterday that I could spend on my car!

I've had the front end up on jack stands so I could find out why I had no power to anything! I had solved that problem on Friday and instead of dropping it down I thought while it's up I might as well bring up the back wheels and take off the tires and replace the calipers that leak with the news one I have !

So I get the back end up and the right tire off and I'm looking at the caliper and my mind wanders back to the fact I have no documentation and I'm staring at the gas tank and start to wonder if I can somehow see if that paper is there without dropping the tank !

So I start looking for ways to see the top of the tank and I borrowed a Snap On video inspection camera and I'm snooping around! That's when I decide I might be able to drop the spare tire for better access to the tank !

That's when I discover that there is a lock on it ! Big problem ! I get up and go get the keys and come back and try the round key on it ! At first it wouldn't push in but with the help of this penetrating oil I use I got the key to go in but it won't turn it ! I got back up and went to the drivers door and tried the key and it works there but no the passenger door !

So my questions are this ; is there supposed to be another key for the lock ? Does the round key open the lock and mine isn't working because of not being used for a long period of time? What options do I have to be able to open that lock if it won't work anymore or I don't have the correct key ! Can a locksmith open it as a last resort or do I have to cut it off and then find another lock and bolt ! And last but not least can I take the two bolts loose that hold the lock bolt up to the frame and be able to get the spare tire and carrier down from the car for better acces to the lock ?

Would appreciate any help at all in figuring out a plan of attack on this !
Thanks in advance!
Old 10-17-2017, 09:42 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi sfx,
The year of your car (?) will determine which key operates the spare tire lock.

For the time being you can try to unbolt the small bracket that supports the bolt at the rear crossmember. 2 bolts. The tire and tub will then be able to drop down.
You should be able to reach the bolts quite easily with the tire tub and strap still in the up position.

Once the bolt/lock is off it should be easier to free up the lock with wd40 so the key can open it.
Regards,
Alan

Turning the key retracts the pin so the lock can be removed.

Last edited by Alan 71; 10-17-2017 at 10:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SPCL FX (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 09:44 AM
Douglas Mariani
GM Cert Corvette Tech
Pro Mechanic

Received 436 Likes on 195 Posts

Drill out the lock cylinder. That's what I had to do.
SPCL FX (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 09:45 AM
bruiser
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 153 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Just unbolt the the part the lock is on from the frame.
SPCL FX (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 10:43 AM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi sfx,
The year of your car (?) will determine which key operates the spare tire lock.

For the time being you can try to unbolt the small bracket that supports the bolt at the rear crossmember. 2 bolts. The tire and tub will then be able to drop down.
You should be able to reach the bolts quite easily with the tire tub and strap still in the up position.

Once the bolt/lock is off it should be easier to free up the lock with wd40 so the key can open it.
Regards,
Alan

Turning the key retracts the pin so the lock can be removed.
Sorry I didn't mention the year ! Mine is a 77 and as of yet I've not been able to drive it on the street which is why I haven't discovered this problem till now !

I'll do what you said and drop the back first and then the front !

After I drop it if I can't get it to turn then I'll take it to this friend of mine that has been a locksmith all his life and see if he can get it open with destroying it !

Hopefully you can tell me if that key is supposed to open it ! The ignition key won't go in at all but the round won goes all the way in !

Thank you so much for your reply and the pictures! I've admired your car from afar since I first started seeing it ! Hope mine comes out as nice during my second stage of it's build ! First stage is just to get it back to an operational car again with all the right pieces on it !

Thanks again !
Old 10-17-2017, 03:24 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi,
For 77 I believe the oval key that also is used for the rear compartment lock should open your lock.

One you get it off I'd think that flooding the lock body with wd40 may very well allow the key to open it.

Don't try too hard though…. so you don't twist the key off in the lock body.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

SPCL FX (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 06:07 PM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Hi,
For 77 I believe the oval key that also is used for the rear compartment lock should open your lock.

One you get it off I'd think that flooding the lock body with wd40 may very well allow the key to open it.

Don't try too hard though…. so you don't twist the key off in the lock body.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

Thank you so much ! That is exactly what the lock looks like and I was using the same shape key to try to turn it!

First chance I get again I will take the carrier and tire down then flip it over fill the lock and let it sit a couple days and then very gently attempt to make it open !

Maybe while it's down I will be able to see the top of the gas tank and find out if there is any documentation on this car at all !

Thanks again ! Ray
Old 10-17-2017, 10:48 PM
jyounane
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi,

Great pics from Alan71 as always!

I found you can reach through the hole in the lock with a stiff bent wire, around the "post" and depress the spring loaded pin (if it isn't seized) and remove the lock.

I used a stainless stiffener found on wiper blades as the tool.

Joe

SPCL FX (10-18-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 12:27 AM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jyounane
Hi,

Great pics from Alan71 as always!

I found you can reach through the hole in the lock with a stiff bent wire, around the "post" and depress the spring loaded pin (if it isn't seized) and remove the lock.

I used a stainless stiffener found on wiper blades as the tool.

Joe

Yea , his pics are amazing!

What I great tip ! I may have a tool that's almost custom made to to that and if it works I'll post a pic of it for everyone to see !

We will try to do that sometime tomorrow!

Thanks Joe

Last edited by SPCL FX; 10-18-2017 at 12:30 AM.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:42 PM
flyeri
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Maybe the lock on the drivers door has been changed and you have the key that fits it but you don't have the original key that fits the passenger door and spare lock.
SPCL FX (10-18-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 11:29 PM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by flyeri
Maybe the lock on the drivers door has been changed and you have the key that fits it but you don't have the original key that fits the passenger door and spare lock.
Funny , I was thinking that very same thing today while I was working
I'm hoping that that's not the case and the key is a GM key and not just a copy!

I'm set up and ready to drop the whole thing down but not going to happen today ! Hope I find time tomorrow to drop it then we will flip it over and fill it with penetrating oil then I'm going to try to pick the lock and get it off the carrier ! If that works out then it's off to my friends to have hin reset the lock for the door and the spare tire!
Old 10-19-2017, 11:30 PM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SPCL FX
Funny , I was thinking that very same thing today while I was working

I'm hoping that that's not the case and the key is a GM key and not just a copy!

I'm set up and ready to drop the whole thing down but not going to happen today ! Hope I find time tomorrow to drop it then we will flip it over and fill it with penetrating oil then I'm going to try to pick the lock and get it off the carrier ! If that works out then it's off to my friends to have hin reset the lock for the door and the spare tire!
So I found a little time today and went to work on the lock project !

First I took my motorcycle jack and put it under the spare tire tub ! Then I removed the front bolts and the bolts in the back ! From there all I had to do was drop it down and roll it out ! This is what I found !

Bonus! Now I have six of them ! Wonder if this was original since it had four of the Kelsey Hayes on it when I got it !

Next on the list was the lock ! Once the tire was on the ground I pulled it from the slot on the tire tub and over to the work bench it ! I spun it over and used a metal pick tool to hold open the "door" for the key hole then flooded it with penetrating oil ! Then I put the key in and started working it back and forth and after just a few times it opened right up !

Then I tried to turn the key back and oops, key won't move ! After a few tense moments I got it to turn and pulled the key out ! Then we filled it with oil again both in the lock and on the cam and now it works perfectly !

With that done thought I would try to see if there was a build sheet on the gas take but no matter what I tried I couldn't direct the camera on the flexible arm to allow me to see it !

The gas tank itself looks good though !

Even still I've got my work cut out for me on the under side ! So far it looks like it's all surface rust and a good dose of Ospho ought to slow it down till I reach stage two when I pull the body off !

This is what I can see now!

Hopefully before long I'll open a thread on my build which I plan to do in two stages ! Right now I'm trying to put it back where everything is where it belongs and drivable! Stage two after some enjoy time around town and draw up the plan of attack , save some funds , get need parts , and hopefully a nice lift for my shop!

I want to thank everyone for all the pics and tips ! Without them there's no telling how long I would have been trying to do this or how many things I might have broken ! Seriously, you guys rock !

Ray !
Old 10-20-2017, 07:04 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi Ray,
Looks good sitting there!
I'm glad it didn't turn out to be a big job!
If you don't have the rubber boot that fits over the lock to protect it, you might think about getting one for when you put the tire tub back in place.
Regards,
Alan
SPCL FX (10-20-2017)
Old 10-20-2017, 08:55 AM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Hi Ray,
Looks good sitting there!
I'm glad it didn't turn out to be a big job!
If you don't have the rubber boot that fits over the lock to protect it, you might think about getting one for when you put the tire tub back in place.
Regards,
Alan
I was thinking the same thing about the boot !

While I have it all loose I'm gonna media blast the bolt and the and the metal on the tire tub making for less work when I move to stage two!

I'll have to check with Willcox to see if he has the rubber boot ! The lock itself I'll have to experiment with to see what will remove all the stuff on it and then see if I can make it resemble yours !

Just wish I could know if there is any documentation at all on my car !
While it apart I'm thinking of dropping the tank just to get a good look and see ! The dash was gone when I got it so no chance of finding one there !

Soon as I can put together a thread on my build I'll be sure to add in picks of the outcome of this job as well !

Thank you for all your help ! Ray.

P.S.One more question ! Is your lock painted or brass?

Last edited by SPCL FX; 10-20-2017 at 12:38 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Spare tire locks

Quick Reply: Spare tire locks