C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Top mods for your Z06!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 03:08 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Default Top mods for your Z06!

Everyone is looking at the ZR1 as the top Corvette. Everyone is chasing the extra 105 hp.
The ZR1 has the extra weight of 3680 3lz 3650 1lz About 160 pounds over the same equipped Z06
Then is not opened to tuning. The ZR1 and other factory supercars all run on pump gas or high octane fuel.

I did recently ran some 100 octane and it really opens the car up. I stay with pump gas.
Meth use is more for drag strip cars in my book.

To compete with the ZR1
Sure you can pulley down the 1.7 which you still need a tune and the pulley install may not be DIY.
Then you are adding more weight under the hood if you add a meth kit and the meth hassle.

So another route is swap the blower. To the higher output 2300. On sale at Weapon X for 4850.
My top
mods,
First I will say the DSC controller is of underestimated valve. After a few thousand miles with one you learn it adds traction like a bitch from the weight transfer it allows. Plus it adds a smoother ride and handling. It is a must mod to go faster!
1. DSC controller
2. Tony Mamo PTB, For the cost hard to beat the low end response and mid range lift it adds. About 12-16 rwhp gain
3. Halltech Intake, The base for the rest of the mods lets all the air in you need with no weak link later on here. 40-50 rwhp increase over stock
4. ARH 2 inch Headers Need the header for the great air flow they offer plus the 30-35 pounds of weight cut.
plus really adds better tuned sound even with closed NPP. I prefer coated.
5. 2300 Magunson Heartbeat blower. Plug and play easy install connect right the factory fitting's. Another weight cut.
If done on a 2019 with the improved low side fuel sounds like you may hit 800 rwhp
The Z06 becomes a much faster better car with these aftermarket mods!
On the mustang dyno I did 673 rwhp or around 800 hp

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 07-17-2018 at 07:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
maxxmuscle (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 01:30 PM
Tort
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
First I will say the DSC controller is of underestimated valve.
1. DSC controller
2. Tony Mamo PTB, For the cost hard to beat the low end response and mid range lift it adds. About 12-16 rwhp gain
I fully expected the #1 mod to be "buy another Z06". More importantly though, nobody underestimates that valve! As for your #2 recommendation, if doing all of the other mods mentioned, a ported throttle body makes less sense than just upgrading to a 103. Haven't seen any independent results showing a ported TB gained anything beyond single digits (if that). My shop showed me their dyno results and talked me out of going that route. Even if there was a marginal gain, the argument similar to yours as to why bother with the 1.7 when you can go with the 2.3/2.6/2.9 etc. Other than that though, what a valve!
Old 07-18-2018, 02:14 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tort
I fully expected the #1 mod to be "buy another Z06". More importantly though, nobody underestimates that valve! As for your #2 recommendation, if doing all of the other mods mentioned, a ported throttle body makes less sense than just upgrading to a 103. Haven't seen any independent results showing a ported TB gained anything beyond single digits (if that). My shop showed me their dyno results and talked me out of going that route. Even if there was a marginal gain, the argument similar to yours as to why bother with the 1.7 when you can go with the 2.3/2.6/2.9 etc. Other than that though, what a valve!
Value and Valve mixed up? Tony Mamo PTB has plenty of independent dyno's on the forum 14-16 rwhp just saw one yesterday on the 1.7 expect maybe a little more on the 2.3 and the big thing is not the peak power it is under the curve power. Also adds 100 cfm and smoother air flow. I paid 250.00 great deal in my book. Car picked up power on the install as well. Stayed with these mods over the 103. Since I had the 673 rwhp on pump gas and with the 100 octane fuel picked up even more and the car is very fast I do not see a stock ZR1 beating it at all. I'm really thinking as well about the ATI balancer with 5 percent overdrive for the install on the A8.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:25 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,030 Posts

In my opinion your #1 and first mod should be the driver. Unless you have lots of experience. Learn to use what power you have now and then start adding to it.

Not trying to be a smart butt. I've been drag racing for right at 40 years and going to the schools I have so far, I've learned new things every time. Maybe not for the drag strip, but for sure everything else..
Old 07-18-2018, 02:34 PM
Tort
Racer

Value and Valve mixed up?
Just busting your ballz. Auto correct has made me look like an idiot plenty of times (more than I do on my own).

Tony Mamo PTB has plenty of independent dyno's on the forum 14-16 rwhp just saw one yesterday on the 1.7 expect maybe a little more on the 2.3 and the big thing is not the peak power it is under the curve power.
I'd be curious to see that one if you have a reference handy. Search feature on the forum makes finding specific things like that difficult. The one I saw from today showed zero gains (including other mods). The only other independent dynos I've seen in person from a ported TB alone showed the funds would be better put towards a proper 103. Just like why you chose not to throw money at the 1.7 and went with the 2.3.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:39 PM
likeaboss
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Value and Valve mixed up? Tony Mamo PTB has plenty of independent dyno's on the forum 14-16 rwhp just saw one yesterday on the 1.7 expect maybe a little more on the 2.3 and the big thing is not the peak power it is under the curve power. Also adds 100 cfm and smoother air flow. I paid 250.00 great deal in my book. Car picked up power on the install as well. Stayed with these mods over the 103. Since I had the 673 rwhp on pump gas and with the 100 octane fuel picked up even more and the car is very fast I do not see a stock ZR1 beating it at all. I'm really thinking as well about the ATI balancer with 5 percent overdrive for the install on the A8.
My dyno says otherwise...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-no-gain.html

I'm curious how many people actually put some miles on the car after the mod before dynoing it? It's very likely there was an initial leaning out of the stock tune creating more power that was eventually corrected by the stock calibration over time.

Last edited by likeaboss; 07-18-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:42 PM
Tort
Racer

likeaboss nailed it...
Old 07-18-2018, 03:09 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by likeaboss
My dyno says otherwise...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-no-gain.html

I'm curious how many people actually put some miles on the car after the mod before dynoing it? It's very likely there was an initial leaning out of the stock tune creating more power that was eventually corrected by the stock calibration over time.
likeaboss nailed it...
Likeboss has no idea what he is doing he didn't add just the MAMO and test he added several different mods over loading the stock tune to even work and got a very poor result look at the AFR WOW way rich. The dyno's are on here on the forum the MAMO does make the 14-16 whp and more under the curve. No wonder no gain!
So he knocks the MAMO! How un cool! Here are the mods tuned with a powerful result!

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 07-18-2018 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:38 PM
likeaboss
Instructor

Likeboss has no idea what he is doing he didn't add just the MAMO and test he added several different mods over loading the stock tune to even work and got a very poor result look at the AFR WOW way rich. The dyno's are on here on the forum the MAMO does make the 14-16 whp and more under the curve. No wonder no gain!
So he knocks the MAMO! How un cool! Here are the mods tuned with a powerful result!
I'm not knocking anything other than the claim of not having to have a tune for a filter and ported TB because clearly you do. Tons of posts on this site about how it's a combo that picks up power without a tune and maybe it does until the stock calibration starts adding fuel over time. The X-Pipe shouldn't be a factor here since it's just a secondary unmonitored CAT that's removed.

Last edited by likeaboss; 07-18-2018 at 03:40 PM.
AMMUSCLE (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 03:40 PM
Tort
Racer

A drop in filter, ported TB and simple x-pipe are "too many mods"? Clearly it would be better with a tune however, those are about as basic as it gets and he's trying to keep his warranty.

Is the dyno you posted your results with full bolt-ons and the 2.3 SC? Not sure how that validates a ported throttle body alone.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:57 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

1. Proper alignment.
2. DSC Sport shock controller

Car can't put down/utilize the power provided from the factory. Why add more when you can't use what it has. An alignment and DSC controller are by far the #1 mod needed to make the car faster. All the other stuff is just "noise". Get the chassis sorted out and then worry about power.

World class chassis just needs to be dialed in. Also, the alignment and controller cost almost nothing in the big scheme of things. I picked up nearly 2 seconds on a 1.8 mile, 10 turn track with an alignment and controller. Where else can you realize those kind of improvements for under $1,500. It's a no brainer. Much less net cost when all is said and done as you can sell the controller when selling the car and easily recoup 75% of the cost as it's not a consumable item.

Last edited by rikhek; 07-18-2018 at 04:01 PM.
3 Z06ZR1 (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 04:14 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

A drop in filter, ported TB and simple x-pipe are "too many mods"? Clearly it would be better with a tune however, those are about as basic as it gets and he's trying to keep his warranty.

Is the dyno you posted your results with full bolt-ons and the 2.3 SC? Not sure how that validates a ported throttle body alone.
Appears they are on that car on the stock tune. Shows no power gain and a loss at upper RPM with a lot of fuel dumping in. Not working, just the PTB would show a better gain.
My dyno shows the good gains possible with the right mods. Only 4 not full bolt-on at all.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:18 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rikhek
1. Proper alignment.
2. DSC Sport shock controller

Car can't put down/utilize the power provided from the factory. Why add more when you can't use what it has. An alignment and DSC controller are by far the #1 mod needed to make the car faster. All the other stuff is just "noise". Get the chassis sorted out and then worry about power.

World class chassis just needs to be dialed in. Also, the alignment and controller cost almost nothing in the big scheme of things. I picked up nearly 2 seconds on a 1.8 mile, 10 turn track with an alignment and controller. Where else can you realize those kind of improvements for under $1,500. It's a no brainer. Much less net cost when all is said and done as you can sell the controller when selling the car and easily recoup 75% of the cost as it's not a consumable item.

All true just driving it and you figure out your traction is much better than stock! That is why I listed it number one! It is a game changer!
Old 07-18-2018, 04:42 PM
Tort
Racer

Appears they are on that car on the stock tune. Shows no power gain and a loss at upper RPM with a lot of fuel dumping in. Not working, just the PTB would show a better gain.
OOOOrrrr the dyno results are what they are and should be taken at face value. The results are what they are.lol The simple fact may be these mods aren't worth much without a proper tune to go along with it. Where is the dyno sheet you saw yesterday showing the gains of the ported TB?

My dyno shows the good gains possible with the right mods. Only 4 not full bolt-on at all.
Your dyno results don't show anything other than what the combo of all your mods produced. Did you dyno with the stock TB with those same mods? Dyno with the stock vs ported TB alone? If not, it doesn't matter what you're full bolt on results are because you don't know what you gained from any individual mod.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:00 PM
Scoobydoobydoo
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomasmoto
In my opinion your #1 and first mod should be the driver. Unless you have lots of experience. Learn to use what power you have now and then start adding to it.

Not trying to be a smart butt. I've been drag racing for right at 40 years and going to the schools I have so far, I've learned new things every time. Maybe not for the drag strip, but for sure everything else..

I agree, I'll bet that more than half of the guys here, myself included, dont take the car to the levels it has to offer. That's why I went to Spring Mountain and plan on going back.

However, there are always the guys that just want bragging rights based on their dyno sheets.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:36 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Default alignment

All true just driving it and you figure out your traction is much better than stock! That is why I listed it number one! It is a game changer!
My 2015 Z06 had a Very aggressive alignment on it new. My 2016 is more suited for tire mileage, it's not near as radical. My 15 was a Z07 car maybe that's the difference. IDK for sure.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:26 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by likeaboss
I'm not knocking anything other than the claim of not having to have a tune for a filter and ported TB because clearly you do. Tons of posts on this site about how it's a combo that picks up power without a tune and maybe it does until the stock calibration starts adding fuel over time. The X-Pipe shouldn't be a factor here since it's just a secondary unmonitored CAT that's removed.
I don't have a tune yet on my A8 yet it is doing good with the PTB and Halltech not sure If I could get away any more . My M7 is the tuned car. You can throw "the combo picks up power the with out a tune and maybe it does until the stock calibration starts adding fuel overtime out the window.
yes the x-pipe is another factor that may be throwing the whole plan off.
good luck I would back off to one mod to see then another.

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 07-18-2018 at 07:39 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Top mods for your Z06!

Old 07-18-2018, 07:31 PM
likeaboss
Instructor

I don't have a tune yet on my A8 yet is doing good with the PTB and Halltech not sure If I could get away any more . My M7 is the tuned car
Did you do a before and after dyno or just going by feeling? Keep in mind my car runs just fine, it’s just at the same power level as when it was stock with the mods.
AZGASSER (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 07:48 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

OOOOrrrr the dyno results are what they are and should be taken at face value. The results are what they are.lol The simple fact may be these mods aren't worth much without a proper tune to go along with it. Where is the dyno sheet you saw yesterday showing the gains of the ported TB?

Your dyno results don't show anything other than what the combo of all your mods produced. Did you dyno with the stock TB with those same mods? Dyno with the stock vs ported TB alone? If not, it doesn't matter what you're full bolt on results are because you don't know what you gained from any individual mod.
ORRRRRRRRRRR! You don't understand that on the stock tune you can do a mod or two and get good results but too many changes it go south and you need a tune just what
likkaboss has done.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:08 PM
likeaboss
Instructor

I don't have a tune yet on my A8 yet it is doing good with the PTB and Halltech not sure If I could get away any more . My M7 is the tuned car. You can throw "the combo picks up power the with out a tune and maybe it does until the stock calibration starts adding fuel overtime out the window.
good luck I would back off to one mod to see then another.
ORRRRRRRRRRR! You don't understand that on the stock tune you can do a mod or two and get good results but too many changes it go south and you need a tune just what
likkaboss has done.
So you have effectively have the same setup I do with the Halltech instead of BMS filter. The X-Pipe is a non-factor as its not impacting airflow into the engine and I still have my primary cats.

Last edited by likeaboss; 07-18-2018 at 09:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Top mods for your Z06!