C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear axle drive shafts not coming out???

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 09:37 PM
bbuddine
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rear axle drive shafts not coming out???

Hello forum,

I am in the process of doing a clutch job myself on 4 jack stands so the process might be a little more tough than if you have done a clutch job on a lift but anyways, I am currently at the point of removing the drive shafts from the rear differential and I have actually pulled about an inch and a half of the drive shaft out of the rear diff, but the drive shaft is still connected inside the differential. I cannot pull out the drive shaft anymore or at least it feel like its stuck on something inside or on some sort of clamp? or ring? or something? Can anyone let me know?
Old 07-17-2018, 10:26 PM
jumpmanmb87
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

you try prying a little with something ? should just slide out with some pressure
Old 07-17-2018, 10:56 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

if the upper control arms are disconnected (which they should be at this point) pull them towards you and that should pop the axle out of the diff so you can clear the brake lines when lowering the drivetrain... this is also assuming you left the axles installed in the hubs but there's no reason to remove them from that end unless you are replacing them
Old 07-18-2018, 03:57 AM
Simtech
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts

Why are you removing the axles? I have an automatic so I have never done a clutch on one a C5 but I have done a rear cover plate and a torque tube. Both times I removed from the engine back as one unit. I also had the good fortune of doing this on jack stands in my garage. Good luck with your project, hope all goes well.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:45 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

they don't have to be completely removed but you do have to pop them out of the diff because the hard brake lines will fit through that space between the axle and diff when you lower the drivetrain... if you don't pop the axles out to gain the space needed then you will have to remove the hard brake lines which I don't recommend
Old 07-18-2018, 07:58 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

As I recall, there are cir-clips on the end of the axle. What I found worked for me was to move them back and forth a bit and then push them in all the way and in one smooth motion with a bit of muscle pull them straight out. They will come out, but it takes a bit of finesse.

Also, make sure you clean the area before removal so no dirt goes into the differential that will now be open. There is a lot of crud in the photo just waiting to get in there.

I wouldn't pry them for removal.

Last edited by vettenuts; 07-18-2018 at 08:02 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:28 PM
Simtech
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by neutron82
they don't have to be completely removed but you do have to pop them out of the diff because the hard brake lines will fit through that space between the axle and diff when you lower the drivetrain... if you don't pop the axles out to gain the space needed then you will have to remove the hard brake lines which I don't recommend

Ah, I disconnected the brake lines above the trans/diff. I found that to be much easier then taking everything apart. Hope things go well. If you haven't rebuilt the torque tube this would be a good time to at least look at it. It sucks having to take it all apart again.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:51 PM
foggy
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Sometimes the circlips are "clocked" in a bad position.. Just push shaft back in and rotate 90* or so ..
See if that helps.. They hang up sometimes

Get notified of new replies

To Rear axle drive shafts not coming out???

Quick Reply: Rear axle drive shafts not coming out???