Sponsored by:

New bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 10:51 AM
dleibman
Drifting

Received 384 Likes on 235 Posts
Default New bulbs

recently replaced my OEM bulbs with Wagner BL 9006BLX2 brigh lights. Better than OEM but still not good. Did same with Hi’s 9005. Told 80% brighter. Any of you have used them or remarks about them. Wanted 9011 and 9012 but mechanic will not install due to mod of tabs. Know of anyone in the Punta Gorda or port charlotte fl area who would do the job. !!!!!! Thanks much. Fin . right now running hi’s at night
Old 08-21-2018, 11:30 AM
PEKlNGDUCKK
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The issue is with the housing, not the bulb. The OEM housing does not direct light very well, you're only going to see marginal improvements after putting in brighter bulbs. Get a set of projector headlights (Radioflyer makes a good set) to see real improvements.

Having said that, the 9011/9012 modification takes about 30 seconds with simple tools, instruction videos are all over Youtube.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:41 AM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 366 Posts

The projectors are the cat's ***. I have a set of Radio Flyer's stealth cannons on my C5 and they're worth every penny - WAY better than stock. I just wish he'd had the low profile popup style when I was in the market - I like the looks better than the fixed style.

Until you get some projector headlights, you might think about some LED bulbs. I put some on my son's toyota, which uses the same 9004/9005 headlight bulbs as the C5, and the improvement was like night and day.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:50 AM
dleibman
Drifting

Originally Posted by sstonebreaker
The projectors are the cat's ***. I have a set of Radio Flyer's stealth cannons on my C5 and they're worth every penny - WAY better than stock. I just wish he'd had the low profile popup style when I was in the market - I like the looks better than the fixed style.

Until you get some projector headlights, you might think about some LED bulbs. I put some on my son's toyota, which uses the same 9004/9005 headlight bulbs as the C5, and the improvement was like night and day.
are they plug and play or do you have to change or add anything. will the wattage be to high to handle the wiring. new at this, sorry
Old 08-21-2018, 12:13 PM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

There are LED bulbs that fit directly into the C5 without any further modifications, but you'll find that LED bulbs can be rather high priced. You'll pay in the area of $70-$100 typically to change just the low beams to LED.

The 9011/9012 HIR conversion mentioned following your initial post is a good under-the-radar modification that is a solid cost alternative. While not as high output as LEDs, HIRs will light better than OEM and they're very similar to 9004/9005s sans a slightly larger mount tab that has to be trimmed. HIRs some years back used to be fairly cost prohibitive but they are so common now that they have come down in price. They're comparable in price to say Silverstar halogens.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:27 PM
PEKlNGDUCKK
Advanced

Originally Posted by dleibman
are they plug and play or do you have to change or add anything. will the wattage be to high to handle the wiring. new at this, sorry
They are plug and play after cutting the tab. I used my favorite search engine and found a couple of posts regarding this (there are hundreds), feel free to browse through for more information.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-low-beam.html
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nd-9012-a.html
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...4-harness.html

I also used my favorite video search engine and found a tutorial, feel free to watch through. Again, the process is very simple.

The best cost/performance ratio is to modify the HIR 9011 bulbs into the stock Halogen housing. The alternative is to buy a set of real projector headlights and a set of LED bulbs or HIDs if you wanted a significant upgrade.

Originally Posted by Velocity_Vette
There are LED bulbs that fit directly into the C5 without any further modifications, but you'll find that LED bulbs can be rather high priced. You'll pay in the area of $70-$100 typically to change just the low beams to LED.

The 9011/9012 HIR conversion mentioned following your initial post is a good under-the-radar modification that is a solid cost alternative. While not as high output as LEDs, HIRs will light better than OEM and they're very similar to 9004/9005s sans a slightly larger mount tab that has to be trimmed. HIRs some years back used to be fairly cost prohibitive but they are so common now that they have come down in price. They're comparable in price to say Silverstar halogens.
LED bulbs can be found for about $20-$30. Unfortunately, LED bulbs in Halogen housing have the same detrimental effects has HIDs in Halogen housing: they blind oncoming drivers. So I would highly advise against LED bulbs in stock housing.

Old 08-21-2018, 12:57 PM
dleibman
Drifting

Originally Posted by PEKlNGDUCKK
They are plug and play after cutting the tab. I used my favorite search engine and found a couple of posts regarding this (there are hundreds), feel free to browse through for more information.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-low-beam.html
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nd-9012-a.html
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...4-harness.html

I also used my favorite video search engine and found a tutorial, feel free to watch through. Again, the process is very simple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iviAlp6x3m0

The best cost/performance ratio is to modify the HIR 9011 bulbs into the stock Halogen housing. The alternative is to buy a set of real projector headlights and a set of LED bulbs or HIDs if you wanted a significant upgrade.

LED bulbs can be found for about $20-$30. Unfortunately, LED bulbs in Halogen housing have the same detrimental effects has HIDs in Halogen housing: they blind oncoming drivers. So I would highly advise against LED bulbs in stock housing.
thanks much for the info
Old 08-21-2018, 01:05 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dleibman
They're plug and play. And the wattage is the same or slightly lower than halogens, so no worries.
You can find them pretty cheap on Amazon. You can find them pretty cheap on Amazon.

As far as blinding oncoming traffic, the LED's are way better than the HID's in stock headlight capsules, in my experience. The LED's are designed to fit the stock housings, so they scatter much less light into the eyes of oncoming traffic. I've never been flashed while driving my son's toyota, even on long straightaways when the oncoming driver had plenty of time to let me know the lights were bothering them. Some of the LED bulbs even
advertise that they're DOT approved advertise that they're DOT approved
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (09-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 03:18 PM
PEKlNGDUCKK
Advanced

They're plug and play. And the wattage is the same or slightly lower than halogens, so no worries. You can find them pretty cheap on Amazon.

As far as blinding oncoming traffic, the LED's are way better than the HID's in stock headlight capsules, in my experience. The LED's are designed to fit the stock housings, so they scatter much less light into the eyes of oncoming traffic. I've never been flashed while driving my son's toyota, even on long straightaways when the oncoming driver had plenty of time to let me know the lights were bothering them. Some of the LED bulbs even advertise that they're DOT approved.
The LED's are designed to fit the stock housings, so they scatter much less light into the eyes of oncoming traffic.
HIDs are also designed to fit stock housings as the fitment is standard industry-wide (H11, 9001, 9011...etc) so the LED bulb's ability fit in the stock housings does not validate their use in stock housing. Also, never "been flashed while driving my son's toyota , even on long straightaways" is not an accurate metric to determine whether or not your lights are too bright.

I don't know how else to solidify my statements besides pointing out the obvious logic that LEDs bulbs, just like HIDs, are way too bright for the halogen housing to properly focus the light output. This results in blinding oncoming traffic. This is also why no vehicle from a factory uses an LED bulb for their low beam without having a projector setup.

Here's a Jalopnik article on the issue as well.

https://jalopnik.com/should-you-swap...eds-1728026383

LEDs in halogen housings have been discussed all over the internet, feel free to look around other car enthusiasts' forums as well.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:27 PM
monteholic
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

for any of the LED, HID ...
to put it simply...
if it is not DOT approved...it is illegal
Old 08-21-2018, 03:36 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by monteholic
for any of the LED, HID ...
to put it simply...
if it is not DOT approved...it is illegal
Wrong. Wrong.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:39 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by PEKlNGDUCKK
HIDs are also designed to fit stock housings as the fitment is standard industry-wide (H11, 9001, 9011...etc) so the LED bulb's ability fit in the stock housings does not validate their use in stock housing. Also, never "been flashed while driving my son's toyota , even on long straightaways" is not an accurate metric to determine whether or not your lights are too bright.

I don't know how else to solidify my statements besides pointing out the obvious logic that LEDs bulbs, just like HIDs, are way too bright for the halogen housing to properly focus the light output. This results in blinding oncoming traffic. This is also why no vehicle from a factory uses an LED bulb for their low beam without having a projector setup.

Here's a Jalopnik article on the issue as well.

https://jalopnik.com/should-you-swap...eds-1728026383

LEDs in halogen housings have been discussed all over the internet, feel free to look around other car enthusiasts' forums as well.
The early LED bulbs were not properly focused. The newer bulbs create a much smaller point source that is designed for factory housings focal points. HID bulbs do not create a point source of light - the whole bulb glows, which is why stock housings can't handle them. The newer LED's on the other hand, have been approved by the DOT. See the link on my previous post. Click on the bottom product picture. It's the approval letter from the NHTSA for the LED bulbs.

Last edited by sstonebreaker; 08-21-2018 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:15 AM
sirdano
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts

Wow finially an exact replacement. How is your light output with these? Any pictures. Thinking about changing my HIR to these

Any problems with the radio interferance I have read?

Last edited by sirdano; 08-22-2018 at 07:18 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:42 AM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by sirdano
Wow finially an exact replacement. How is your light output with these? Any pictures. Thinking about changing my HIR to these

Any problems with the radio interferance I have read?
They're 10 times better than halogens. They do not project as far down the road as HID's, but they're way better than halogens. And they do not spray light everywhere. The low beams have a decent cutoff. Not as sharp as projector beams, but decent enough not to blind oncoming traffic. As to the radio interference, I've never noticed any. The radio in the toyota isn't the greatest, but I've never heard any buzzing or anything like that when the headlights are on.

The one thing you have to watch out for is reliability. Quality is really variable between different brands - the first set of LED's I bought burned out in 3 months. The second set, which came with a 3 year warranty, has been working fine for over 2 years.

My advice would be to not buy the cheapest lights and instead opt for a set with a warranty. Don't buy the most expensive set, either - these things are like fishing lures. Some of them are designed more to catch the fisherman than the fish, if you know what I mean. Buy a set that has a decent warranty. I've been real happy with
these these
Old 08-22-2018, 09:35 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Go with MOSTPLUS LEDs, read this thread:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-or-ebay.html
Old 08-22-2018, 09:56 PM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 863 Likes on 667 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Good info for those wanting to upgrade their lights (that's everyone who drives their C5 after dark) and don't want to pull the trigger on a good set of projector lights.
Especially good to note the DOT certification. Thanks, sstonebreaker!
However, I will say that even after using the MostPlus, I was still very impressed when I switched to the RadioFlyer set up.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:11 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Route99
Good info for those wanting to upgrade their lights (that's everyone who drives their C5 after dark) and don't want to pull the trigger on a good set of projector lights.
Especially good to note the DOT certification. Thanks, sstonebreaker!
However, I will say that even after using the MostPlus, I was still very impressed when I switched to the RadioFlyer set up.
Same here. I thought $1200 was way steep when I bought them, but I NEEDED better night vision. But after using them for two years, they're worth every penny. Only thing I'd do different would be to go with the low profile popups instead of the light cannons simply because I like the popup look better.

They saved my car, these headlights. I was coming back to Fort Worth from Roswell NM one night and came around a curve and lit up a whole herd of feral pigs. I was able to stop in time to keep from hitting them. Had I still had the stock halogens, I believe my car would have been totaled.

Get notified of new replies

To New bulbs

Quick Reply: New bulbs