C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One job ends, another begins

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 12:05 PM
Its_hers
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default One job ends, another begins

There aren't a lot of things that need to be done, but the somewhat loose steering had to be addressed before wife starts driving it. From the outside looking in, the rag joint didn't look bad but is one of those safety things you replace just 'cuz. Good thing I did...

So the other job that begins? Well, when pulling it in the garage the fuel pump started puking fuel, so the wife will have to wait a little longer. Any tricks to replacing the pump on a '73 L82 with air? Doesn't look like it's gonna be any more fun than replacing the rag joint.....
The following users liked this post:
Art17 (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 02:10 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default Read this!

Originally Posted by Its_hers
Any tricks to replacing the pump on a '73 L82 with air? .
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...fuel-pump.html
Old 11-18-2018, 02:36 PM
Its_hers
Intermediate

Thanks. I searched and read about the bolt, am also looking for tips on HOW to get the pump out and back in the easiest way. I'm assuming the A/C compressor needs to be moved out of the way, but there's a lot more in the way that looks like it'll make replacement more difficult.
Old 11-18-2018, 04:25 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

I do everything from underneath. You can also also remove the front passenger wheel/ tire. You then have a straight shot at the pump bolts with a long extension run between the top of the frame and inner fender.

Last edited by CanadaGrant; 11-18-2018 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 04:42 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Before you pull the pump you need to have two special curved hoses to replace the ones that are coming off.
Unless you know how long since last change, just change them.

Before that, besides having to work quickly you have to have a way to pinch off the feed line or you will spill a lot of gas.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:22 PM
Its_hers
Intermediate

Thanks, these tips will save me some time and aggravation.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:59 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,291 Likes on 3,919 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

when you buy the pump make sure the fittings are pointing the same as your original. AND by the best pump you can, the one I bought came apart internally, the swagged metal that help the pivot shaft in place just failed, the only way I new was the fuel pressure dropped for no good reason.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:27 AM
kansas123
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadaGrant
I do everything from underneath. You can also also remove the front passenger wheel/ tire. You then have a straight shot at the pump bolts with a long extension run between the top of the frame and inner fender.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:34 AM
gguillot
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

I used an old hacksaw blade to hold the pump rod from the camshaft in place while bolting in the new pump. I tried heavy grease, but it would not hold the shaft up in the bore. When I changed the pump on a '73 L48 A/C that I used to have, I did everything from underneath instead of putzing with the A/C compressor. And yes - get those proper fuel lines - and if you don't have the original metal line up to the carb, replace that while you are at it.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:56 PM
Its_hers
Intermediate

Thanks for the tips. Ordered an ACDelco replacement pump with the S hose and vapor hose. As long as freight was cheap I also ordered new P/S hoses as well. Look original and as inexpensive as they are it doesn't make much sense to run the originals.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:20 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

Hacksaw blade? I pull the dipstick and use that. Then I heard about the jam bolt for the pump drive rod.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:54 PM
Its_hers
Intermediate

Replaced the pump today and the process was a bit different than others. I looked at trying to pull it from the bottom, but there was just no way to get a hand up in there let alone unbolt the pump. Wound up pulling the A/C compressor (was discharged already), the air injection pipe and bending the lower hose out of the way. Everything but disconnecting the hoses was from above. Used heavy grease to hold the pump shaft in place as the bolt trick wouldn't work. New hoses and the job's done.
Tomorrow is new P/S hoses. Knocking down one issue at a time........
Old 12-20-2018, 11:26 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Its_hers
Replaced the pump today and the process was a bit different than others. I looked at trying to pull it from the bottom, but there was just no way to get a hand up in there let alone unbolt the pump. Wound up pulling the A/C compressor (was discharged already), the air injection pipe and bending the lower hose out of the way. Everything but disconnecting the hoses was from above. Used heavy grease to hold the pump shaft in place as the bolt trick wouldn't work. New hoses and the job's done.
Tomorrow is new P/S hoses. Knocking down one issue at a time........
Take off the front wheel. Much easier.
The following users liked this post:
Its_hers (12-22-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 08:30 PM
Its_hers
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
Take off the front wheel. Much easier.
This worked quite well for the P/S hoses. Most everything is done from below except from the pump to/from control valve. I've been using ramps, so had to use a jack stand on the driver's side so I could get the wheel off.

Get notified of new replies

To One job ends, another begins

Quick Reply: One job ends, another begins