C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn Signal/IC Flashing

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 06:07 PM
Scholioso
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Turn Signal/IC Flashing

Hey guys. So I just recently started having problems with my turn signals.

Few days ago, both turn signals were lit up on the dash, solid green. Thought it was weird, hit the hazard switch, it worked, then I turned off the hazards & it went back to normal for a few days. Then it did the same thing again a few days later. But the hazard switch didn't fix it. I found one of the small 194 bulbs to be burnt out on the driver front left next to the DRL. Replaced it & it didn't help. Now one of the things that happens is when I hit the brakes, both of the DRL relays flash really really rapidly. When the brakes are released, the relays click for a few more seconds & then they stop. If I activate the hazard switch, the entire dash flashes with the hazards. The instrument cluster, the HVAC unit, door switches, etc. This issue comes & goes. I have cleaned the grounds that are located under the interior trim kick panels/rails. I'm suspecting a bad ground somewhere, but I don't exactly know where to start. I ordered a hazard warning switch as I hear it's notorious for going bad. I just have to wait to see what happens now. Any other ideas or thoughts on something else to check?
Old 12-08-2018, 07:03 PM
Scholioso
Racer

Not sure if related or not, but now when I lock the car, the alarm immediately goes off. Brake lights all work. Going to inspect them anyways as I hear those go bad & fuse together or something?

Heres a video on the first issue of the turn signals:

Last edited by Scholioso; 12-08-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:40 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Is everything stock or are there some aftermarket parts.

Last edited by JR-01; 12-08-2018 at 10:41 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:24 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,302 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Moved to C5 Tech.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:39 AM
Scholioso
Racer

Well. The car has some mods.

Double din head unit
5 channel amp
alpine type r speaker f + r
jl audio 10"
rearview camera
long tube headers
x pipe
vararam intake
ls7 clutch
tick adjustable master
tick slave cylinder with quick bleeder

Can't really think of anything else at this moment.

Last edited by Scholioso; 12-09-2018 at 01:40 AM.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:57 AM
Martinez310
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15,'19

I literally had the same issue last month when installing some LCD turn signals. I found it kinda strange I unplug and replug the LCD lights and everything was back to normal. I read somewhere in forums you might have a faulty ground connection
I hope this forum helps :
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ng-lights.html
Old 12-09-2018, 09:29 AM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

i had the same problem i installed a sequential tail light harnes's and after a year one went bad car was freaking out like yours even my speedometer lighting was acting up

check your tail light bulbs, sockets and grounds if alls good there move to the front and check all that out
Old 12-09-2018, 12:58 PM
Scholioso
Racer

Ok, so last night I unplugged all my tail light bulbs & tried it without bulbs in the sockets. Still acting up. All the bulbs looked good. They are all working as advertised as well. Both high & low functions. Reinstalled them & still same issues. There is a ground connection pack there that I cleaned (was packed full of dirt & nastiness). Cleaned that up & continued to search. I will check out the front this morning. Last night I did find a ground that was super loose on the driver side. It was a small grounding strap that appeared to go from the block to the frame rail. Tightened that up, still no bueno.

So I will check all the front connections this morning & go from there. Is there a way to trouble shoot the hazard switch? If I disconnect it, I assume nothing will work right? I want to test to see if I unplug the hazard switch if my alarm still goes off when set by the fob. Which speaking of which, I am able to lock the doors with the door switch, then close the doors, walk away, & it will not set off the alarm. It does arm it, but it doesn't actually go off. So it's only the fob that sets off the alarm. And it sets it off immediately upon pressing the button.

I will continue to hunt this down. Thanks.

Update: went out, continued to search, tried unplugging the front turn signal harness at the main connection to the body & boom, everything worked. Which to me is weird, because shouldn't the turn signals flash rapidly like the bulb is out? It just worked normally, no other flashing, etc. I also tried locking the doors with the fob & it didn't set off the alarm. Blamo, worked great. Then I replugged everything back in & took all the bulbs out. Works good. No rapid flashing tho to indicate a bulb is out. Odd. I really don't think it's grounds since I cleaned them just last year but I will double check. I cleaned the ground pack that is in the turn signal wiring harness. No help. Still nothing. Does anybody know where the ground for the turn signals is? Which location?

Not sure if this is normal or not, but when the turn signal/bumper wiring harness is plugged in, the turn signals (when activated) turn the DRL relay on & off in sync with a turn signal, regardless if a bulb is installed or not. Not sure if this is normal or not. When the turn signal/bumper wiring harness is unplugged, the DRL relays do not turn on & off with the turn signals.

When the turn signal/bumper harness is plugged in & you turn on the lights (one up, not the headlights), the left turn signal stays solidly lit. It goes out when you turn the lights off.

Last edited by Scholioso; 12-09-2018 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:51 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

was there any thing done to the car just before all this started?

really sounds like you have a bad ground, another thing if i find a loose ground dont just tighten it up clean every thing 1st to make sure it has a good contact when you do tighten it
Old 12-09-2018, 05:09 PM
Scholioso
Racer

Originally Posted by Stroker87
was there any thing done to the car just before all this started?

really sounds like you have a bad ground, another thing if i find a loose ground dont just tighten it up clean every thing 1st to make sure it has a good contact when you do tighten it
Nothing just before, no. Sometime last year I had to replace the turn signal connectors on both sides as they were burnt inside where the bulb goes. Luckily, I have a second bumper harness laying around somewhere. Just gotta find it & I'll see if maybe mine is faulty. I'll report back. If anyone knows which ground I should specifically check, please let me know. Thanks.

Ok, so I've checked the engine bay grounds as well as the grounds in the kick panels, & the grounds behind the rear bumper. All are good. I'm seriously stumped. It's now doing the same issues almost constantly when the front bumper wiring harness is installed. Unfortunately, I must've thrown out my second bumper harness. Fantastic. So I might try to find one. Everything works fine when the front harness is unplugged, so for now that's what I've done until I can figure something else out.

Update: so I do have codes B2578 & B2583 being thrown as history when the front harness is unplugged. Also just drove the car. Turn signals were normal speed. Shut the car off, do some shopping, come back out, headed home & now it recognized that no bulbs are there & is now hyperflashing. Tried plugging front harness back in & nope. Same issues. Also, left front turn signal now likes to stay on solid when the turn signals are not on. It just stays lit at all times. Sometimes both will flash with each other. I'm going to drive without the front harness till I get the hazard switch in & replaced. I think it might be that. Hazards work fine. If it's not that, I'll look at the multi function stalk & might end up replacing that.

Last edited by Scholioso; 12-09-2018 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:08 PM
Scholioso
Racer

Well. So I replaced the hazard switch. No bueno. Idk what to do. Ideas?
Old 12-14-2018, 07:40 PM
99blue frc
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Scholioso , I had the same codes this year. went to check the grounds at the headlight areas (passenger and driver). I separated the cover from the ground packs and the terminals looked good almost like new. So I removed a terminal from the pack and the ground wire at the base of the terminal where the crimp is was solid green (corrosion). Removed the terminal and replaced it with a ring terminal and put it directly on the ground lug. Problem seems to be solved. Hope this helps, Steve
Old 03-08-2021, 02:34 PM
radron26
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Hello,

Did you ever figure out how to fix your turn signals? I have the same problem as your video. All I did remove the battery and Alternator for about week, then I put back together, and it immediately has the exact same problems as yours . It was perfect before that, so all I can think of that might have changed, was bad battery, bad alternator, or a fuse.

Thank you,
Ronnie
Old 09-14-2023, 10:04 AM
Davcruz
Pro

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by radron26
Hello,

Did you ever figure out how to fix your turn signals? I have the same problem as your video. All I did remove the battery and Alternator for about week, then I put back together, and it immediately has the exact same problems as yours . It was perfect before that, so all I can think of that might have changed, was bad battery, bad alternator, or a fuse.

Thank you,
Ronnie
Thread dredge, but I am at my wits end and have the same issues.

Did either of you ever find the issue?
Old 09-14-2023, 11:51 AM
radron26
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

For my car, it was a loose / corroded ground pack point. The grounding pack/point on the passenger side of the engine bay. Once that was cleaned and retightened, it went away. Hope that helps.

Get notified of new replies

To Turn Signal/IC Flashing

Quick Reply: Turn Signal/IC Flashing