Sponsored by:

Nav-TV?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 06:11 PM
ssmith512
Melting Slicks

Received 849 Likes on 443 Posts

Default Nav-TV?

Does anyone have any experience with the Nav-Tv uni-cam unit?

https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT62...-4-screen.html

I have a 1LZ on order and want to add a front camera. I have seen and read about the NavTool unit, but havent seen or read much about the Nav-TV unit.(specifically Corvette application). I do not have a good feeling about NavTool based on their BBB rating (F) and endless threads on various forums of problems/issues, hence I am looking for an alternative solution and happened upon Nav-Tv.

Any experience you can pass along is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:45 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

I can't find any BBB info on this company.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:36 PM
ssmith512
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
I can't find any BBB info on this company.
Ya, I couldnt either. Handful of threads here and there, but not enough for me to make any inference.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:18 AM
Norm66
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Default NavTool

Yes, NavTool was a real mess when it was first introduced over two years ago.Then because of the persistence of several of us, especially Elmer (eboggs_jkvl), it became the best add-on many of us have used on our Vettes. I have had it for over two years, and it has worked flawlessly. It works very much like the factory install. You can also add side cameras and a unit that lets you do phone mirroring. I added the phone mirroring, and it also works perfectly. I purchased a device for phone mirroring on Amazon that I don't think is available any more. I don't have any experience with the NavTV cam you mention, but if it is as good as the unit I purchased I would have no hesitation buying it. Do a search for NavTool threads and you will learn more. Norm
Old 02-04-2019, 07:19 AM
ZO6 cracker
Drifting

Received 693 Likes on 404 Posts

I have a 1LZ. I read up where it is hard to add the front camera. Just passing it on. I would not go thru the trouble adding one. If your careful parking you won’t need a front camera.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:52 AM
Norm66
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Not too difficult if you follow Elmer's excellent instructions. Excellent tool to help protect very expensive splitter.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:55 AM
vuuduu21
Heel & Toe

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

I used a different Nav-Tool box to add a front and rear camera to my wifes Jeep, works great!
Old 02-04-2019, 08:32 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,822 Likes on 2,066 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ZO6 cracker
I have a 1LZ. I read up where it is hard to add the front camera. Just passing it on. I would not go thru the trouble adding one. If your careful parking you won’t need a front camera.
Yup, and even if you are careful, one smack and it gets real ugly, real fast. No camera is simply awaiting the crunch. It is NOT hard to add a camera.

Elmer
Old 02-04-2019, 12:45 PM
ssmith512
Melting Slicks

Thanks friends.

I think adding a front camera will be pretty dang easy.

I am familiar with Elmer's fantastic Navtool thread. It is what got me looking into adding a camera, and especially one that seamlessly interfaces with the factory screen. I just dont like the way Navtool turns on the front camera. My car is an M7, and shifting back and forth between first and reverse while trying to pull into a parking space just seems a bit clumsy to me (I know 1st world problems) - maybe not as as much of an issue with an auto. I think I would prefer the way Nav-tv does it with just a simple button push to turn the front camera on and off.

I called Nav-tv and they seem helpful and certain their product works (but that is always the case when someone is trying to sell you something, right LOL!)

What's the saying,........... "No news is good news".

Last edited by ssmith512; 02-04-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:51 PM
Bob Beroza
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 161 Posts

I have a 2015 1LT and really wanted a Front Curb Cam. Several of us were all in the same boat and started a thread on how we could do a Cheap Front Cam. Below is the link to that thread, take a look it might just be the answer your looking for.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nt-camera.html

Be sure to read through the whole thread because over time we made modifications to the equipment and the installation.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:48 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati

Originally Posted by ssmith512
Thanks friends.

I think adding a front camera will be pretty dang easy.

I am familiar with Elmer's fantastic Navtool thread. It is what got me looking into adding a camera, and especially one that seamlessly interfaces with the factory screen. I just dont like the way Navtool turns on the front camera. My car is an M7, and shifting back and forth between first and reverse while trying to pull into a parking space just seems a bit clumsy to me (I know 1st world problems) - maybe not as as much of an issue with an auto. I think I would prefer the way Nav-tv does it with just a simple button push to turn the front camera on and off.

I called Nav-tv and they seem helpful and certain their product works (but that is always the case when someone is trying to sell you something, right LOL!)

What's the saying,........... "No news is good news".

Press the "Back" button for 2 or 3 seconds and the camera will turn on.

Elmer
Old 02-04-2019, 02:09 PM
agapsdiver
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 147 Posts

I added a front camera and monitor to my C7 about 2 years ago for about $75.
Still works great, use it every time I park into a space with a high curb.
This is only a front camera view, nothing else... but relatively cheap.

See here:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...o-2014-c7.html

Last edited by agapsdiver; 02-04-2019 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:48 PM
ssmith512
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by agapsdiver
I added a front camera and monitor to my C7 about 2 years ago for about $75.
Still works great, use it every time I park into a space with a high curb.
This is only a front camera view, nothing else... but relatively cheap.

See here:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...o-2014-c7.html

https://youtu.be/YzMjopj1sUg
Yes, I read your thread as well. Fantastic solution, but I am wanting a more integrated solution that uses the factory screen (if at all possible)

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Press the "Back" button for 2 or 3 seconds and the camera will turn on.

Elmer
Interesting. I have emailed Navtool for the operation/installation manual, but have not heard back from them. They have what appears to be a killer sale going on right now.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:33 AM
ssmith512
Melting Slicks

Update to this thread......

Ordered the Nav-Tv GM Uni-cam unit and it arrived to my doorstep in less than a week.

Installed it in my 2019 Z 1LZ. Installation is SUPER easy - plug an play literally. Hardest part was finding the best way to run the camera cable into the cabin. Nav-Tv unit interfaces with the HMI module which is located in the drivers kick panel. No need to access the BCM or HMI Bypass module in the passenger footwell.

In summary I am very happy with the product and would recommend it as a trouble free alternative to Navtool. Does exactly what I wanted it to do (add front camera seamlessly to Infotainment screen) with no issues, hiccups, weirdness, or funny stuff.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:58 AM
eboggs_jkvl

Update to this thread......

Ordered the Nav-Tv GM Uni-cam unit and it arrived to my doorstep in less than a week.

Installed it in my 2019 Z 1LZ. Installation is SUPER easy - plug an play literally. Hardest part was finding the best way to run the camera cable into the cabin. Nav-Tv unit interfaces with the HMI module which is located in the drivers kick panel. No need to access the BCM or HMI Bypass module in the passenger footwell.

In summary I am very happy with the product and would recommend it as a trouble free alternative to Navtool. Does exactly what I wanted it to do (add front camera seamlessly to Infotainment screen) with no issues, hiccups, weirdness, or funny stuff.
BUT!!! Will the Nav-Tv GM Uni-cam unit work on a 14 or 15 Vette? You are talking about a 19 with newer options and abilities. You also didn't mention the price for this update.

Elmer
Old 03-24-2019, 11:23 AM
ssmith512
Melting Slicks

BUT!!! Will the Nav-Tv GM Uni-cam unit work on a 14 or 15 Vette? You are talking about a 19 with newer options and abilities. You also didn't mention the price for this update.

Elmer
I did the "hard" work for you....see post #1 of this thread.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:38 AM
eboggs_jkvl

I did the "hard" work for you....see post #1 of this thread.
Been there, see nothing to help my question. $400 and it looks freakingly similar to the Navtool. Hey, if it works for you, excellent outcome. I have no skin in this game for any system to add a front camera or live iPhone to a car. I reported on what I had and did.

PIty GM didn't have their **** together for the front camera and the PDR when the 14s came out. I've worked around both of those issues.

Elmer
Old 03-24-2019, 11:59 AM
ssmith512
Melting Slicks

Been there, see nothing to help my question.
I'm assuming your are talking about '14-'15 compatibility? The compatibility chart listed on the page I linked to in post #1 very clearly states Chevrolet Corvette 2014-2018. Not sure what other question you are talking about?

$400 and it looks freakingly similar to the Navtool.
Yes I stated it is an alternative to the Navtool unit. I dont know what the Navtool unit looks like, but I am sure it is a plastic box with some electronics it it and some cables with plugs on the ends, just like the Nav-Tv unit.

Hey, if it works for you, excellent outcome. I have no skin in this game for any system to add a front camera or live iPhone to a car. I reported on what I had and did.
Yes it works perfectly. No one has "skin in the game" per say; we are all just sharing experiences and providing additional knowledge to the base. I have simply provided information and my experience with an "unknown product" as an alternative solution to the many already proven solutions of adding a front camera to a car that is not equipped with a front camera. I didnt want to deal with the clown show that Navtool seems to be on occasion (as I am sure others may not as well), and I didnt want to use a wired or wireless camera and additional screen (as I am sure others may not as well). I wanted seamless video integration with the infotainment screen. Now there is another solution that others can add to the list.

Last edited by ssmith512; 03-24-2019 at 12:05 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Nav-TV?

Quick Reply: Nav-TV?