Sponsored by:

Question For You Body Work Guys

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 07:36 PM
tscott8201
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question For You Body Work Guys

I知 through fitting up and glueing on my new front and rear flared fenders.

I知 now to the stage where I need to blend it all together. My plan is to chamfer back the joints and then fill and level everything out. My question is what I should fill these joints with? My original thinking was to fill with a few layers of glass matt and resin and then top that with vette panel adhesive to surface. Now that everything is glued up though I think that might be overkill. I知 considering filling with only vette panel adhesive and calling it good.

I壇 appreciate any tips you all can share.

Tom
Old 07-15-2019, 08:27 PM
twinpack
Drifting

Received 349 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by tscott8201
I知 through fitting up and glueing on my new front and rear flared fenders.

I知 now to the stage where I need to blend it all together. My plan is to chamfer back the joints and then fill and level everything out. My question is what I should fill these joints with? My original thinking was to fill with a few layers of glass matt and resin and then top that with vette panel adhesive to surface. Now that everything is glued up though I think that might be overkill. I知 considering filling with only vette panel adhesive and calling it good.

I壇 appreciate any tips you all can share.

Tom
I'm no expert but if I was doing this, I would glass in the joint between the flairs and body than finish it with the VPA. Also tape the body line on top of the fender . This will help you stay away from that area when sanding.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:11 PM
JoeMinnesota
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 128 Posts

Try posting in the paint/body forum and there is a lot of knowledge there.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:51 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

stripping my 75, the razor gouges the filler at the bonding strip seam. almost never cuts into the glass itself. i think chevy used essentially bondo. and it makes sense for the filler to be softer than the glass body. you lay up resin and mat on top of those flares and you are gonna have to be really careful getting it contoured.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:20 PM
NONN37
Melting Slicks

Received 239 Likes on 198 Posts

grind back the white gelcoat and lay up fiberglass and resin. then finish with filler.
You want a really solid joint withh these aftermarket wide bodies.
if/when the custom suspension/wheel setup touches the fender; id rather fix a ripped up arch than risk a hairline crack across the entire qtr panel popping loose.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:44 AM
RBrid
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

I only used VPA https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1596423617, and NONN37 you're scaring me.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:43 AM
NONN37
Melting Slicks

Received 239 Likes on 198 Posts

yeah okay. you know what that is really well done. ^^
I thought they were widebody flare kits that fit over the existing fenders. If they are glued in place like factory(with the originals removed) they are pretty solid.

id still go for mat on the seam though. since hes already at that stage it seems more solid since the vpa will be really thinned out by the time you shape and block it..
Old 07-16-2019, 04:21 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Never did the flares but lord knows I done the VPA. Have yet to see the VPA break down as long as the prep work is done. Personnly I would go right to the VPA and be done with it. Everyone has their preferences so you will have to be the best judge. I mean you could add a layer or 2 of mat and then go to the VPA. Don;t think that it would be overkill. Guess you'll have to pick one!

RVZIO
Old 07-16-2019, 06:37 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

these are whole fenders that attach to the bonding strips. the top surface of the fenders and car body they attach to IS the top surface you are trying to blend to. if you lay up glass on top of that surface you are creating a high spot-stripe that you are not going to be able to blend in. you essentially have to sand it all back off. and it is as hard as the glass body. use mat and resin for structure. not filler.

Get notified of new replies

To Question For You Body Work Guys

Quick Reply: Question For You Body Work Guys