C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 1980 Clip speedometer gear broken

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 09:28 AM
swissvet
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C3 1980 Clip speedometer gear broken

It seems that the speedometer drive gear is moving on the shaft and therefore the speedocable does not turn.
I checked under the car what has to be done and would be happy when somebody who did this already could give me some advise/feedback.
I think I will have to take the front part of the exhaust down as well as the gearboxsupport and the driveshaft. Then I could slip the endpart of the gearbox after loosening 4 screws rearwards and should the have access to the shaft with the speedometer drive gear and the clip.
Have I forgotn something? Any advise where I have to be especially careful to avoid mistakes? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Old 04-29-2024, 10:49 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 904 Likes on 788 Posts

What year? Your profile is blank. Is it Manual or Auto?

Originally Posted by swissvet
It seems that the speedometer drive gear is moving on the shaft and therefore the speedocable does not turn.
I checked under the car what has to be done and would be happy when somebody who did this already could give me some advise/feedback.
I think I will have to take the front part of the exhaust down as well as the gearboxsupport and the driveshaft. Then I could slip the endpart of the gearbox after loosening 4 screws rearwards and should the have access to the shaft with the speedometer drive gear and the clip.
Have I forgotn something? Any advise where I have to be especially careful to avoid mistakes? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Old 04-29-2024, 02:32 PM
swissvet
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carriljc
What year? Your profile is blank. Is it Manual or Auto?
1980, auto
Old 04-29-2024, 03:27 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 904 Likes on 788 Posts

Well, if I was you I'd hold up the tranny and slide the exhaust and crossmember out of the way to have a lot of room to work.

Originally Posted by swissvet
1980, auto

Get notified of new replies

To C3 1980 Clip speedometer gear broken

Quick Reply: C3 1980 Clip speedometer gear broken