Sponsored by:

Carpet Removal For Battery Access

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2024, 10:06 AM
2ndvett01
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Carpet Removal For Battery Access

2019 Stingray. How to remove carpet without tearing?

Popular Reply

05-08-2024, 10:21 AM
Olden Slowe
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 41 Posts

It’s not necessary to entirely remove the carpet. The following works very wel, at least with regard to the coupe, not sure about the convertible:

1) remove the passenger side carpet D-ring (use a metal trim tool to lift the rear edge of the plastic cover, then a torx driver to remove the single fastener holding the D-ring).
2) standing at rear passenger fender (I recommend using a blanket or other suitable fender protector as you will be leaning over/against the fender), lift the corner of the carpet over the battery box very slightly, just enough to slide your left hand (palm up) underneath. Slide your left hand under the carpet towards to center (keep your forearm flat/parallel to the carpet to avoid further lifting or stressing of the carpet corner).
3) once you have slide your left hand under the carpet towards the center about as far as you can, start to tent the carpet upwards at the center while at the same time, use your right hand to trap the center/upwards tented area of the carpet.
4) using both hands gripping the upwards tented carpet area (left hand palm up underneath and right hand palm down on top), slide the carpet towards the driver side, it will easily slide out from under the plastic side panel without tearing. Doing this exposes the battery cover completely.

Once you’ve done it this way (or seen it done), it’s much easier and faster than it sounds, literally takes just a couple of seconds after the D-ring is removed, which is very easy to do. This method also permits full access to the under-carpet fuse panel and wiring harness connectors, and build sticker, if/when desired.

When finished, reverse the process to easily slide the carpet back under the passenger side trim panel. I realize this probably sounds complicated when described in writing, but it’s really very simple, fast, effective, and will avoid tearing the carpet. I’ve done it this way many times.
Old 05-08-2024, 10:21 AM
Olden Slowe
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 41 Posts

It’s not necessary to entirely remove the carpet. The following works very wel, at least with regard to the coupe, not sure about the convertible:

1) remove the passenger side carpet D-ring (use a metal trim tool to lift the rear edge of the plastic cover, then a torx driver to remove the single fastener holding the D-ring).
2) standing at rear passenger fender (I recommend using a blanket or other suitable fender protector as you will be leaning over/against the fender), lift the corner of the carpet over the battery box very slightly, just enough to slide your left hand (palm up) underneath. Slide your left hand under the carpet towards to center (keep your forearm flat/parallel to the carpet to avoid further lifting or stressing of the carpet corner).
3) once you have slide your left hand under the carpet towards the center about as far as you can, start to tent the carpet upwards at the center while at the same time, use your right hand to trap the center/upwards tented area of the carpet.
4) using both hands gripping the upwards tented carpet area (left hand palm up underneath and right hand palm down on top), slide the carpet towards the driver side, it will easily slide out from under the plastic side panel without tearing. Doing this exposes the battery cover completely.

Once you’ve done it this way (or seen it done), it’s much easier and faster than it sounds, literally takes just a couple of seconds after the D-ring is removed, which is very easy to do. This method also permits full access to the under-carpet fuse panel and wiring harness connectors, and build sticker, if/when desired.

When finished, reverse the process to easily slide the carpet back under the passenger side trim panel. I realize this probably sounds complicated when described in writing, but it’s really very simple, fast, effective, and will avoid tearing the carpet. I’ve done it this way many times.
The following 6 users liked this post by Olden Slowe:
CraigZ06 (05-10-2024), Oskee (05-08-2024), Renarello (05-08-2024), Squeaky Wheel (05-08-2024), Vette Jockey (05-09-2024), Vettegeezer (05-09-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-08-2024, 11:30 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,579 Likes on 14,126 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Thanks for sharing how you keep the carpet from being torn. Will have to give this a try the next time I need access to the battery area.
Old 05-09-2024, 08:32 AM
guido7834
Melting Slicks

Received 202 Likes on 126 Posts

I just pulled mine up carefully. No tearing...
Old 05-09-2024, 09:26 AM
Snake.Oiler
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'14,'15,'16,'18,'19-'20,'22,'24

It takes a little longer, but I just removed the trim panel that it sits under. I also removed the corner trim panel, right above the battery - this way nothing is in the way of taking the battery out or putting another one in.

Get notified of new replies

To Carpet Removal For Battery Access

Quick Reply: Carpet Removal For Battery Access