Southern California Southern California

Holy $hit!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 12:15 PM
BitViper
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Holy $hit!

Ok.. this all started Saturday whe I need to to take my 04 in for its smog check.. it passed with flying colors the snif tests.. but failed the visual because of my VARARAM intake...

I then found a OEM intake and spent the rest of my weekend end pulling out the VARARAM an swapping in the borrowed intake Thanks to Rickko.. you rock dude..

Rick posted some intresting information that got under my skin..and so I started digging!
He posted
Originally Posted by Rickko
"Again it depends upon the technician. Some are extremely ****, and some are rather loose on air filtration systems.

The DCA/BAR's ruling on them is as Follows on Page 4 of Appendix K: Under Items of Non-Concern, Cold Air / Air filtration systems that retained ALL of the factory EVAP hoses, fittings and connections, are legal.

IIRC, since the Blackwing removes the box, but allots the Air Injection system to still have access to air (via a filter placed on to that inlet line), it should indeed be an item of non-concern, thus passing the test."
So spent the rest of the weekend swapping systems ands researching documents...

I found this...
The "SMOG CHECK REFERENCE GUIDE", a Bureau of Automotive Repait booklet states in Appendix G...
In the introduction ...

Introduction
Aftermarket parts fall into four categories:
• Replacement Parts
• Consolidated Parts
• Modified Parts
• Add-on Parts

In general, Modified Parts and Add-on Parts require California Air Resources Board (CARB) (this wwe all know..)
exemption through an Executive Order (EO).

Replacement Parts and Consolidated Parts do
not require exemption. For more information, see the definitions below.

CARB Definitions of Aftermarket Parts

Replacement Part

“Replacement part” means any aftermarket part intended to replace an original equipment
emissions-related part and which is functionally identical to the original equipment part in all
respects which in any way affect emissions (including durability) or a consolidated part.
California Code of Regulations (CCR) Title 13 § 1900 (b) (20)
Replacement parts do not require a CARB exemption to be installed on vehicles in California.
Examples include replacement air filter elements, spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor
caps, chromed valve covers, replacement EGR valves, and replacement carburetors. (Note: A
replacement EGR valve or carburetor must be specified as replacement, by the part
manufacturer, for the vehicle on which it is installed).

CARB Definitions of Aftermarket Parts
Consolidated Part
“Consolidated part” means a part which is designed to replace a group of original equipment parts
and which is functionally identical of those original parts in all respects which in any way affect
emissions (including durability). A consolidated part may qualify as replacement part.
CCR Title 13 § 1900 (b) (2)
Consolidated parts do not require a CARB exemption to be installed on vehicles in California.

further on in the document it states

For the purposes of a Smog Check inspection, the following parts and emission
control changes are acceptable provided that all of the required emission
controls are connected and functioning. When conducting a Smog Check
inspection, it is not necessary to check for a CARB Executive Order for the
following:
Any emissions related part marketed by the parts manufacturer as a replacement for the original equipment.

Am I reading too much into tehis doc....

The VARARAM just like the OEM maintains the air tube and differs only in where the air enters the system.. ie all emission controls ARE connected and functioning.. therefore the VARARAM is defacto exempt from requireing a CARB number.. its emmissions netural!

http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResource...2-09%20V-2.pdf

Last edited by BitViper; 02-15-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:21 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

Good info, i think we should all print this out and keep it handy if n when we have a smog issue!
Old 02-15-2010, 01:30 PM
Black02LS1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is good information to know!
Old 02-16-2010, 12:16 PM
BitViper
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok.. got off the phone with the state smog refree.... He confirms that my interpertation of Appendix G is correct..

As long as the Cold air kit maintains the OEM connections it is exempt!

The only connection for the Vararam and the OEM box is the breather tube..

He said that if you're failed on a visual and you have a disagreement with the guy doing the test file a complaint to a state refree aginst the shop and tester
Old 02-16-2010, 03:13 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Someone mentioned this in the other thread, but I have to wonder the same thing: Why would Callaway and K&N spend big bucks to make sure their intakes have C.A.R.B. stickers if it was never necessary?

You included in your post:

“Replacement part” means any aftermarket part intended to replace an original equipment
emissions-related part and which is functionally identical to the original equipment part in all
respects which in any way affect emissions (including durability) or a consolidated part."

In actuality, most aftermarket filters do not filter as well as an OEM filter and therefore allow more air to pass through the filter element. This air may, especially when it comes to some Z06s, overwhelm the adjustment range of the ECU for air/fuel ratio, in turn, allowing the engine to emit more unburned fuel (hydrocarbons).
Even if the ECU does adjust, if more dirt enters the engine, rings could wear more quickly and blowby can increase, causing more pollutants to be emitted.

I guess I'm just playing the pessimist, but only because I've had a lot of experience in this regard, having owned a 68 for almost 22 years.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:41 PM
UBNZO6D
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave68
Someone mentioned this in the other thread, but I have to wonder the same thing: Why would Callaway and K&N spend big bucks to make sure their intakes have C.A.R.B. stickers if it was never necessary?

You included in your post:

respects which in any way affect emissions (including durability) or a consolidated part."

In actuality, most aftermarket filters do not filter as well as an OEM filter and therefore allow more air to pass through the filter element. This air may, especially when it comes to some Z06s, overwhelm the adjustment range of the ECU for air/fuel ratio, in turn, allowing the engine to emit more unburned fuel (hydrocarbons).
Even if the ECU does adjust, if more dirt enters the engine, rings could wear more quickly and blowby can increase, causing more pollutants to be emitted.

I guess I'm just playing the pessimist, but only because I've had a lot of experience in this regard, having owned a 68 for almost 22 years.
I would suspect that is done for marketing and sales of their products...If they pass that easily with a visual, then maybe they don't spend the amount money on the CARB # that you think they do...

Greg
Old 02-16-2010, 11:45 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

I guess time will tell whether anyone else can get by. Believe me, as someone who has an aftermarket intake, I hope it's true.

Get notified of new replies

To Holy $hit!

Quick Reply: Holy $hit!