Southern California Southern California

Best place for Head/Cam combo purchase and install in SoCal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 11:04 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by linxusx
x2...
Old 06-14-2018, 07:14 PM
pewter50vette
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

If you want no issues when done AHP ,
Old 06-14-2018, 07:51 PM
xslangx
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by IELAC7
Sadly I’m going to have to go back on my recommendation for JB. Worst experience I’ve ever had, 3 months to install a cam and had to pay to get things fixed elsewhere. Ended up getting some work redone and returned with Brandon at Accelerated Racing Solutions in Rancho Cucamonga. Higher rate but the quality of work is well worth it and I know my car wouldn’t sit under trees collecting tree sap for months.

any other bad experiences with JB? He has quoted me 2500$ for Cam install dod plug springs, Clutch install, and installing my F1X procharger kit. He seemed very WELL versed and seems like a really cool guy. He said 3-5 days turn around time and I feel confident in him. Jorge seems really nice guy
Old 06-14-2018, 08:08 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

^ You're in Long Beach...practically AHP's back yard. Go see Kohle.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:46 PM
xslangx
Instructor

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
^ You're in Long Beach...practically AHP's back yard. Go see Kohle.
He wants to charge 3500$ for cam and clutch install without the F1X Install that Jorge is throwing in for free $2500 out the door

He is also building the engine with balancing for 1600$ so just over 4k out the door

From my 3 conversations lasting over 20 minutes a piece on the phone he is not only FULLY versed in the LT world but the LS as well, he knows his stuff and it shows. Also his customer service skills seem awesome, I'm going with my gut on this one and seeing Jorge
Old 06-24-2018, 06:30 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by xslangx
He wants to charge 3500$ for cam and clutch install without the F1X Install that Jorge is throwing in for free $2500 out the door

He is also building the engine with balancing for 1600$ so just over 4k out the door

From my 3 conversations lasting over 20 minutes a piece on the phone he is not only FULLY versed in the LT world but the LS as well, he knows his stuff and it shows. Also his customer service skills seem awesome, I'm going with my gut on this one and seeing Jorge
Let us know how it goes. I have used CMS in the past and Know Ryne for a very long time. Can't go wrong there. But lots of guys swear by AHP and I know the head mechanic there who is excellent. Good luck.

DH
Old 06-25-2018, 04:46 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Let us know how it goes. I have used CMS in the past and Know Ryne for a very long time. Can't go wrong there. But lots of guys swear by AHP and I know the head mechanic there who is excellent. Good luck.

DH
Agreed. This type of stuff below is what scares me off of prices that seem too good to be true...hopefully it works out better for you xslangx.

Originally Posted by IELAC7
Sadly I’m going to have to go back on my recommendation for JB. Worst experience I’ve ever had, 3 months to install a cam and had to pay to get things fixed elsewhere. Ended up getting some work redone and returned with Brandon at Accelerated Racing Solutions in Rancho Cucamonga. Higher rate but the quality of work is well worth it and I know my car wouldn’t sit under trees collecting tree sap for months.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:44 PM
xslangx
Instructor

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Agreed. This type of stuff below is what scares me off of prices that seem too good to be true...hopefully it works out better for you xslangx.
I have received countless messages on this forum attesting to his quality of work. Jorge is very knowledgeable but his marketing skills are lacking. I am helping him change that after he finishes this and helping him setup SEO practices and forum activity to let people know about his work. From the conversations I promise if you called him you would be sold, he KNOWS HIS ****. Every bolt, possible upgrade etc he is 100% aware and has pushed me to make the right steps such as those upgraded wrist pins. I am going to be out the door for around $4000 with Cam,Clutch,F1X install, Engine build balancing etc. YOU CANNOT BEAT THAT PRICE ANYWHERE. It's nuts. Also I would have used Ryne but not only was he charging me around 4000$ just for cam and clutch but he was a total and complete ******* the entire I spoke with him. I am in the car business as an internet sales associate (8 years now have been an Internet Sales Director for 6 of them till we got rid of the position) so customer service is my forte. Not only am I (Not to toot my horn) one of the friendliest and most upbeat caring and considerate people to speak to (when I want something) but I'm understanding of others if their just having a bad day. Well all 10 + times I talked to Ryne on multiple occasions he was a complete ******* tool. I really have nothing bad to say about people and I know Ryne does AMAZING work and tuning, but he refused to work on my car just because he doesn't like Ben from WeaponX. I WANTED to give him my MONEY . I WAS OK with the 4000$, HE LITERALLY DIDNT WANT TO TAKE MY MONEY BECAUSE OF HIS PRIDE. dumbfounding. Anywaysssssss. I will keep you all up to date, but the idea that inexpensive labor means **** quality on our oh so MECHANICALLY different and special and illustrious LS and LT blocks is absurd. An engine is an engine. These are not Lamborghinis, we all have been brainwashed as corvette owners that we need to pay premium for good work. This sadly is not true.

Sorry for the long rant, I just hate good people taking the **** end of the stick over a few bad apples.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:49 PM
xslangx
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie

DH
And I wanted to go to him after researching, I really did. Read the above post to state why I didn't or COULDN't even do business with him. I wouldn't want to give that man my money anyways, he was a complete pre-madonna. I'm glad that ARH took over a week to return my phone calls and JBperformance picked up on the first call, life couldn't have gotten any better for me there with a big WIN for team xSLANGx
Old 06-25-2018, 11:19 PM
franko9217
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xslangx
I have received countless messages on this forum attesting to his quality of work. Jorge is very knowledgeable but his marketing skills are lacking. I am helping him change that after he finishes this and helping him setup SEO practices and forum activity to let people know about his work. From the conversations I promise if you called him you would be sold, he KNOWS HIS ****. Every bolt, possible upgrade etc he is 100% aware and has pushed me to make the right steps such as those upgraded wrist pins. I am going to be out the door for around $4000 with Cam,Clutch,F1X install, Engine build balancing etc. YOU CANNOT BEAT THAT PRICE ANYWHERE. It's nuts. Also I would have used Ryne but not only was he charging me around 4000$ just for cam and clutch but he was a total and complete ******* the entire I spoke with him. I am in the car business as an internet sales associate (8 years now have been an Internet Sales Director for 6 of them till we got rid of the position) so customer service is my forte. Not only am I (Not to toot my horn) one of the friendliest and most upbeat caring and considerate people to speak to (when I want something) but I'm understanding of others if their just having a bad day. Well all 10 + times I talked to Ryne on multiple occasions he was a complete ******* tool. I really have nothing bad to say about people and I know Ryne does AMAZING work and tuning, but he refused to work on my car just because he doesn't like Ben from WeaponX. I WANTED to give him my MONEY . I WAS OK with the 4000$, HE LITERALLY DIDNT WANT TO TAKE MY MONEY BECAUSE OF HIS PRIDE. dumbfounding. Anywaysssssss. I will keep you all up to date, but the idea that inexpensive labor means **** quality on our oh so MECHANICALLY different and special and illustrious LS and LT blocks is absurd. An engine is an engine. These are not Lamborghinis, we all have been brainwashed as corvette owners that we need to pay premium for good work. This sadly is not true.

Sorry for the long rant, I just hate good people taking the **** end of the stick over a few bad apples.

this is very reason is why i believe AHP does so well. Obviously their product is amazing but kohle & jake have great customer service skills which is so rare in any type of blue collar industry. It’s so refreshing to come across the guys at AHP.

Last edited by franko9217; 06-25-2018 at 11:21 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:08 PM
imflyinbiya
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Can't wait for the follow-up post on this one.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:07 PM
xslangx
Instructor

Originally Posted by imflyinbiya
Can't wait for the follow-up post on this one.
Sensing hints of sarcasm
Old 06-28-2018, 01:08 PM
xslangx
Instructor

Originally Posted by franko9217

this is very reason is why i believe AHP does so well. Obviously their product is amazing but kohle & jake have great customer service skills which is so rare in any type of blue collar industry. It’s so refreshing to come across the guys at AHP.
Customer service is the key element now a days. There are just to many options for us with everything to provide a poor customer experience. Kohle at AHP seemed very friendly when he finally got back to me, nothing bad to say about them at all
Old 06-28-2018, 02:12 PM
PK Auto Design
Supporting Vendor

Received 138 Likes on 131 Posts

Just so everyone knows we do offer full install services at our shop with certified mechanics. So we do it all

Wheels, suspension, exhaust, motor builds and work, maintenance and ceramic work.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:38 PM
96darkhorse
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

FYI GUYS....Edwin from AHP is no longer at AHP. He’s at different shop now. I honestly don’t need to speak of his work. Most people know AHP because Edwin’s work. He’s told me to mention that he welcomes any work needed.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:21 PM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by 96darkhorse
FYI GUYS....Edwin from AHP is no longer at AHP. He’s at different shop now. I honestly don’t need to speak of his work. Most people know AHP because Edwin’s work. He’s told me to mention that he welcomes any work needed.

Wanted to make a few edits to this post to clarify a few things for anyone who may read this or has read this in the past.

There was a bit of a misunderstanding I would like to clarify:

Edwin Worked here at/with American Heritage Performance (AHP) for 4 years.
Edwin is a wonderful Corvette Mechanics and in my honest opinion one the best Corvette Mechanics in the entire country. We never had any issue with any of Edwin work and in Fact he is a dream of a mechanic for a shop owner to have working for/with him!
Edwin left American Heritage Performance (AHP) on his own accord a little over a year ago in order to branch out and do his own thing.
Edwin and I were very good Friends while he was here at AHP and we still are good friends to this very day!
While Edwin worked here he had full access to the entire shop and a full set of keys... in other words I trusted Edwin explicitly the entire time he worked here and still trust him explicitly to this very day.

Edwin is currently up in Canyon Country doing his own shop thing with his Son Angel (who is one of the brightest young men you will meet).

We fully support Edwin in his endeavors and fully recommend him to anyone up in that area who is not wanting to make the drive down to us.
In Fact Edwin is one of AHP approved Cylinder Head and Engine Installers!!!

Just wanted to clarify that since there was some misunderstandings in the past about Edwin branching off and doing his own thing.

If anyone has any questions about this feel free to PM us

https://www.americanheritageperformance.com/

Last edited by American Heritage; 09-03-2019 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:00 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by 96darkhorse
Well....there is always two sides to a story...

ive known Edwin for some time now, since back when he worked at rpm.... he wasn’t a thief back then, and he is not one now. I’m a person who likes mind his business....only thing I stated was that he is working elsewhere and he’s available for side work. Whatever happened between he and AHP is between them. Just looking out for my Friend who is a good honest mechanic. I think many can vouch for him here, since many here have had work done by him outside his daily job. His work is great!

on a side note....why did you edit your initial 2 post response?
One can only vouch for those he personally has experience with.
Edwin is a proven great mechanic and he will come to you and perform many jobs that most of us cannot do or do not want to pay shop prices for.
Besides Edwin the only recommendations I make from my many years of corvette repairs is Richard at WCCH and Donny at Rydell Chevrolet.
This does not mean others don't have equally good experiences with different shops.

DH
Old 08-17-2018, 10:40 PM
SoCalFinest
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 46 Posts

I met Edwin asking for assistance on the forum and he came over to help me install my new steering wheel. By the time he was done changing out the steering wheel, I lost air pressure on all my tires and wasn't sure if it was something he did as a result of

LOL J/K

Edwin is cool and whatever happened with him and AHP I'm not going to get into. I just know he was never fired or let go and he left on his own term. There's always two story to each side and he seems very knowledgeable and confidence in his work. Best of luck to Edwin in his career!
Old 09-03-2019, 04:45 PM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Wanted to make a few edits to this thread to clarify a few things for anyone who may read this or has read this thread in the past.

There was a bit of a misunderstanding I would like to clarify:

Edwin Worked here at/with American Heritage Performance (AHP) for 4 years.
Edwin is a wonderful Corvette Mechanics and in my honest opinion one the best Corvette Mechanics in the entire country. We never had any issues with any of Edwin work. In Fact Edwin is a dream of a mechanic for a shop owner to have working for/with him!
Edwin left American Heritage Performance (AHP) on his own accord a little over a year ago in order to branch out and do his own thing.
Edwin and I were very good Friends while he was here at AHP and we still are good friends to this very day!
While Edwin worked here he had full access to the entire shop and a full set of keys... in other words I trusted Edwin explicitly the entire time he worked here and still trust him explicitly to this very day.

Edwin is currently up in Canyon Country doing his own shop thing with his Son Angel (who is one of the brightest young men you will meet).

We fully support Edwin in his endeavors and fully recommend him to anyone up in that area who is not wanting to make the drive down to us.
In Fact Edwin is one of AHP approved Cylinder Head and Engine Installers!!!

Just wanted to clarify that since there was some misunderstandings in the past about Edwin branching off and doing his own thing.

If anyone has any questions about this feel free to PM us

https://www.americanheritageperformance.com/

Last edited by American Heritage; 09-03-2019 at 04:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Best place for Head/Cam combo purchase and install in SoCal?