Willow track-days

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2023, 05:23 PM
Max_7k
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Willow track-days

Hi everyone!
Is there a group of people renting the box and so on for this weekend Street of Willow trackdays?
I'd like to join, if it's possible. My first time going to a track there, not much knowing how the things working there.
Old 11-17-2023, 03:19 PM
GP37
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

streets does not have any Garages if that is what you are refering to. Also hopefully they are better, but exteme speed from what i hear is a zoo and not well run.
Old 11-17-2023, 04:47 PM
Max_7k
Advanced

Originally Posted by GP37
streets does not have any Garages if that is what you are refering to. Also hopefully they are better, but exteme speed from what i hear is a zoo and not well run.
Damn. Really want to finally go to a track, but that's not reassuring...
Old 11-17-2023, 05:02 PM
GP37
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

speed ventures is pretty good, i do most of my events through them. they will be at Big Willow on 12/9 and buttonwillow the following weekend.

https://www.speedventures.com/Events/

Also this site lists all track days at all tracks in the US.
https://hpdejunkie.com/
The following 2 users liked this post by GP37:
Max_7k (11-17-2023), Vette Jockey (11-20-2023)
Old 11-17-2023, 05:46 PM
Max_7k
Advanced

Originally Posted by GP37
speed ventures is pretty good, i do most of my events through them. they will be at Big Willow on 12/9 and buttonwillow the following weekend.

https://www.speedventures.com/Events/

Also this site lists all track days at all tracks in the US.
https://hpdejunkie.com/
Thank you! Considering all this I'll probably sit this one out. Didn't like SoW as a track at a first place, looks more like a carts track
Buttowillow has trackday at 24th with SpeedSF, prob would go there.
Old 11-18-2023, 08:26 AM
Jfryjfry
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

If this is your first time at a track, sow is probably a much better (ie less intimidating) choice. Hardly a kart track. Ccw is the kindest, Cw is great but does have two spots that you need to be respectful of.

button willow is another great choice and not much further (drive time, not simply past WS - it’s in a slightly different direction)

Old 11-18-2023, 08:56 AM
Max_7k
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jfryjfry
If this is your first time at a track, sow is probably a much better (ie less intimidating) choice. Hardly a kart track. Ccw is the kindest, Cw is great but does have two spots that you need to be respectful of.

button willow is another great choice and not much further (drive time, not simply past WS - it’s in a slightly different direction)
First time in USA track, not overall. Half of the SoW is exactly a cart track/autoX. Considering I did mostly GP-style tracks before, driving on parking lot style turns is not exactly fun)
Buttonwillow seems nice, yep.
Old 11-18-2023, 10:30 AM
wtb-z
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

It sounds like you might not be going, but SoW is generally OK. My only advice would be to not follow other cars, they put down a lot of stones at the track margin with the last repave and those can get kicked up.

Buttonwillow is definitely a nicer track and also a higher grade track. Speed SF has been a good organization in my limited experience (they're more of a Northern California group, they run a lot at Laguna Seca/Sonoma/Thunderhill)
Old 11-18-2023, 08:42 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Max_7k
First time in USA track, not overall. Half of the SoW is exactly a cart track/autoX. Considering I did mostly GP-style tracks before, driving on parking lot style turns is not exactly fun)
Buttonwillow seems nice, yep.
Take a look at Chuckwalla. Mickey has always been good to work with.
Old 11-21-2023, 09:07 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

I second the recommendation for Speed Ventures. They are well run with a more mature driver set.

You may have raced GP, but I would not call SoWS a kart/AX track. It is one of the slower and tightest tracks around, but it is fun. I average over 70 MPH there in my car and hit over 130 MPH CCW in my faster car. Even in a stockish C5 Z06 I am averaging 70 MPH. Decent elevation changes on this track. Decent elevation changes on this short track with an interesting variety of turns.

The big track at Willow Springs, in a C5 Z06 on street tires you will average over 100 MPH. Fast and fun with some tricky turns. I surmise it has the biggest elevation changes in California, and just about anywhere I have raced in the USA, without any blind corners like Laguna, Thunderhill and Sonoma.

Buttonwillow is good track, I estimate about 90 MPH average. In most configs in a C5 Z06 you will hit 130 MPH once or twice. It is one of the longer tracks at approximately 3.5 miles. It is relatively flat, with small elevation changes at Cotton Corners, Buttonhook and Phil Hill. The new track is also about 3.5 miles, it will be much wider and better for W2W racing, some mild elevation changes and what looks to be some interesting corners. It is not yet, asphalted.
The following 2 users liked this post by Olitho:
DigitalWidgets (11-21-2023), Max_7k (11-22-2023)
Old 12-10-2023, 01:37 PM
Max_7k
Advanced

Went with Speed District on Buttonwillow. Liked the organisation. Still don't know what's with this "open windows, point by's" stuff I'm seeing on any USA track-days video. Way more dangerous from all points, why not just use, you know, blinkers? But that's not specific to this organiser I guess.
Track is great as well, really fast and flow, like it a lot.
Corvette is wicked fast for a road car, enjoyed it in all 1.5 session I get before something happened with transmission, which is very weird for 14k mile never tracked before car (I'm second owner). No misshifts or anything, it just started making whining (sequential like) and metal scraping noises. Barely made it home, most likely will need to change the trans...
Old 12-10-2023, 02:17 PM
Jfryjfry
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

Keep the thread updated with what happened. Could be many things - torque tube bearings, giubos, lsd, axles, etc

apparently in Europe it’s standard to keep windows up and use indicators for passing vs here the groups all have windows down and point by.
The following users liked this post:
Max_7k (12-12-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To Willow track-days

Quick Reply: Willow track-days