Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada
View Poll Results: Stickies - what do you think??
Should stickies have a time limit?
25.00%
Do you want all GTG to be a sticky or just bumped?
62.50%
Do you read the "Whats going on" thread for events?
12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Feedback Needed - Topic - Our Stickies!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 09:04 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VicRed07C6
He's right. Why has society devolved where the minority dictates policy for the majority?
Nonsense. Let's be Darwinistic in our threads. If they're popular, they'll float to the top. If they're not, they'll sink off the bottom of the page.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:06 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Here are some threads that by all rights should be sticky:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1771850
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1799000
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1707502
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1775702
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1795964
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1775989

But gee...I forgot. They're not in the DFW area...
Old 08-29-2007, 09:10 PM
Gray Fox
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Not every thread has to be a sticky. The Vegas one won't be a sticky. It's posted in numerous sections.

Travel questions will not be stickies.

If the RC is NOT asked to have a thread made a sticky it won't be made one. It's at our discretion what goes up there if need be.

If you have questions PLEASE ask me or Cajundude (Houston area RC) We're here to help.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:12 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

I don't see any firm criteria for stickies. Except that DFW seems to be the most important place in Texas.

How about a San Antonio area RC? I nominate Peter Pan!
Old 08-29-2007, 09:13 PM
Gray Fox
Team Owner

CI 5-6-7-8-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by in2fun
HI Mary !
First I would like to ask... Why are people complaining about the stickies and what are their complaints ? That just sounds really dumb ( complaining about too many stickies ) ! I tell those people to get a life !!!! All they have to do is just scroll down the page to get to the regular threads... HOW HARD IS THAT !!!!! The sheer numbers of all the views on the sticky threads tell the story. Those stickies are what most people look at to find out what's going on. By eliminating the stickies you will cut down the attendance at the GTGs. If people have to go looking for those threads ( some only look at it the day of or the day before the GTG ) by sifting through all the other threads until they find the one GTG thread they are looking for... They will soon lose interest. Plus a lot of CFs like looking through the pics that are posted on those GTGs and those people may never post a comment. They just like reading them. The stickies we have now are VERY POPULAR ! I think the people who are complaining about them are in the minority. I think if you eliminate the Stickies... Then you will soon have A LOT MORE COMPLAINTS from the MAJORITY !!!!!! If I sound harsh I'm sorry... But the thought of people just sitting in front of their computer complaining about the stickies just IRKS ME ! Now with all that said. I know I, as well as everyone else, can just scroll down to find the thread we like. But why make it hard to find the most popular ones that most people look through to find out what's going on. Let's keep it easy for those who REALLY LIKE VIEWING THOSE STICKIES. Thanks to all who spend their precious time vewing all the threads on CF as well as the STICKIES. And for those whiners that feel like Stickies are a distraction to CF..... GET A LIFE !!!!!

THATS MY 2 PENNIES !

ELIO

We need to keep our comments civil, please. I'm not asking for attacks on anyone.

This post was NOT meant to upset anyone, but I see it has done that to several of you and I'm sorry for that.

I will go ahead and request this be closed - I will work with other Regional Coordinators and see how they are handling things in their area regarding stickies etc.

It does not matter who is complaining. As a RC it's my responsibility to address the issues and that's what I was doing.

I ask that some of you please stop and think about what you are posting and how the context is being construed. We are all friends here - so let's keep it that way.

Thanks for the input I did receive. Right now the thread is causing anger, and that is NOT the intention.

If you have a question, or concern please feel free to PM me or Cajundude. The person we report to is Ron, 98Pace00Jeep.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:15 PM
VicRed07C6
Advanced

Originally Posted by page62
I don't see any firm criteria for stickies. Except that DFW seems to be the most important place in Texas.

How about a San Antonio area RC? I nominate Peter Pan!
One can always move!
Old 08-29-2007, 09:17 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

One more before the lock: I've been here for what...4 years? And I don't understand the rules. Perhaps there needs to be a sticky about what an RC is, how the regional forum works, and what the STRICT criteria for stickies will be.

I'm upset because I feel that events in our area have been ignored in favor of events in larger cities. I've been working for YEARS to make events a success in our area, with limited support from CF. And know knowledge of how to break into what I perceive as an "inner circle."

And that is nothing but constructive criticism...
Old 08-29-2007, 09:18 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by VicRed07C6
One can always move!
Thank you for that constructive comment.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:19 PM
VetteUSA
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '07

So "quantity" is more important than "quality"?

If you live in a big city, you're more important than if you live in a smaller city? It's probably easy to make an event work in a big city. The number of participants practically guarantees a good turnout.

Dammit, we struggle to get attention and attendance for events in smaller cities! And we work HARD to make our events a success...

So why are we being treated as second-rate citizens here in this forum?

AND...once again, the points I've made have been IGNORED. Just like my requests for stickies were IGNORED.

Making a thread a sticky merely by looking at the number of views it's had is not a good idea. Those of us who have events in smaller cities obviously won't get the same number of views as the events happening in major cities, but that doesn't mean our events are any less important. Smaller cities will inherently get fewer views, but they should not be forced to "fend for themselves" to keep their topic alive. There has to be a balance.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:19 PM
in2fun
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BarneePhife
How about unsticky all of the GTGs. Put one Sticky for each Southwest region (by state?). Within each sticky, break it down by city or whatever and link to the actual thread for each GTG.

Example:

------------------------------------
Stickies
------------------------------------
GTG and Happenings in Arizona
GTG and Happenings in Nevada
GTG and Happenings in New Mexico
GTG and Happenings in Oklahoma
GTG and Happenings in Texas

--------------------------------------
(example within one of these stickies)
--------------------------------------
GTG and Happenings in Texas

DFW Weekly GTG: Hurst, Grapevine and Surrounding Areas
GTG: Murphy, Plano, Wylie, Richardson, Garland, Sachse, and surrounding areas
** DFW ** Corvette Forum Picnic - Sat, Sept 29th - Arlington
Things to do in the Denton/Lewisville and North Texas Area
Looking for something Corvette related to do in Houston?
Red Corvettes in Denton, Dallas, Collin & Tarrant Counties
(Houston) Sept 30th SHCC & Hooters Fall Vette Show; 100+vettes will attend!

---------------

Then each of these threads would be "un-stickied" but would bubble to the top of the Southwest forum as they remained active.

This solution would shift your administration from stickies, to editing the links found in the 5 permanent stickies (one for each state in the Southwest region). At the same time, it would clean up, and significantly shorten the sticky section.

Just a thought...
I do like this idea.... A LOT ! As long as it stays easy for the MAJORITY to find.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:22 PM
Gray Fox
Team Owner

CI 5-6-7-8-9 Veteran

One more before the lock: I've been here for what...4 years? And I don't understand the rules. Perhaps there needs to be a sticky about what an RC is, how the regional forum works, and what the STRICT criteria for stickies will be.

I'm upset because I feel that events in our area have been ignored in favor of events in larger cities. I've been working for YEARS to make events a success in our area, with limited support from CF. And know knowledge of how to break into what I perceive as an "inner circle."

And that is nothing but constructive criticism...

Where do you live?

If you are in the San Antonio/Austin area send a PM to Ron and talk to him about being an RC for your area if there isn't one.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:27 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Gray Fox
Where do you live?

If you are in the San Antonio/Austin area send a PM to Ron and talk to him about being an RC for your area if there isn't one.
I'm in San Antonio (a suburb of Luckenbach )

PM already sent to you. I'll send Ron one, too.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:33 PM
VetteUSA
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '07

In my humble opinion, I think it's kind of ridiculous that Dallas and Houston are usually the only stickies I ever see in the SW section. with maybe 1 here or there for an event in NM, NV, etc. I've been in Austin for a year now, and the Austin GTG thread has never been made a stickie, even after hundreds of responses and thousands of views. Why? I'd say the Austin GTG thread is an important aspect of the SW section. The same goes for any GTG in other cities and other states.

Again, I think there has to be a balance with stickies . I'm speaking out of frustration, and I know others, such as Page62, are equally frustrated at the fact it seems smaller cities are ignored.

Quick Reply: Feedback Needed - Topic - Our Stickies!!