Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

Anyone w/ Fusions in Austin area?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 12:40 AM
PassNU
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone w/ Fusions in Austin area?

Hey guys... I'm a few weeks out from picking up a 2012 GS and need to exhaust shop. I'm kind of a nut when it comes to sound... the past 2 cars I've owned I've actually had the exhaust before I even bought the car.

The Mrs can't handle what I'd like (Bullets most likely) so I'd like to hear a set of Fusions if anyone has them? I may even do a set of Pfadt long tubes and get a tune at Dallas Performance before heading back to town (picking up car in Dallas).

Anyway- anyone willing to meet up some time, please let me know. Lunch on me... drinks...whatever.

Thanks!
Old 09-27-2013, 06:19 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

http://www.reckartperformancetuning.com/

Give Bryan a call. He can probably tell you who has a set on their Vette here in the local area.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:18 PM
PassNU
Instructor

Somehow I failed to set up email notice when I got responses...

Thanks Street Rat, will reach out to him! - I may even reach out in search of a set of Bullets.
I'm not worried about how loud the exhaust is (I love loud.. having had a 383 stroker w/ LT's, no cats, and a glass pack back in the day I'm used to it); however, need to make sure I can make a 3-4 hr trip to the coast without killing myself with drone. Obviously everyones ability to handle drone is different so I'm just trying to get a real world example.

Thanks all!
Old 10-01-2013, 04:05 PM
Jon@bbexhaust
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PassNU
Somehow I failed to set up email notice when I got responses...

Thanks Street Rat, will reach out to him! - I may even reach out in search of a set of Bullets.
I'm not worried about how loud the exhaust is (I love loud.. having had a 383 stroker w/ LT's, no cats, and a glass pack back in the day I'm used to it); however, need to make sure I can make a 3-4 hr trip to the coast without killing myself with drone. Obviously everyones ability to handle drone is different so I'm just trying to get a real world example.

Thanks all!
You might want to check out our PRT as well: It features our anti-drone Purge Resonance Technology (FYI: the Fusion does too) It allows true straight through exhaust passage under aggressive driving conditions for a deep and throaty roar - much like the Bullet, while a mellow sound is emitted at cruising speeds. PRT allows for considerable power gains as well.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:45 AM
PassNU
Instructor

Going to bump this thing and give it one more shot. Picked up my 2012 Cyber Gray Grand Sport today... pulled the fuse before I even left the lot. Good...but not great. Need to amp it up and give it something with more muscle sound.

At this point...here's what I got....

Fusion: Almost Bullet loud, but with the ability to tone it down. This...could be good...if it's really 1.) nearly bullet loud 2.) a good difference between open/closed. Posts seemed to say the difference wasn't that large...but if I look close it seems to be more of a thought with Gen 2 vs Gen 3 fusions.

Bullets: I know I'd like em...but can I handle the drone? Sounds like ... no. I dont mind drone, but when I can't talk to whomever is sitting next to me...thats a problem.

Corsa Extremes: I like the sound... the fact that it is more of a raspy tone vs a smooth muscle tone; however, given feedback in posts I wonder if this would be loud enough for me. I think drone would exist (given I have an A6) but wouldn't be as bad as the bullets.

IF anyone local is going to be out and about this weekend and wouldn't mind meeting up to show off your pipes, let me know! I prefer to not make a $1000+ mistake right off the bat.

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2013, 09:13 AM
Jon@bbexhaust
Instructor

Going to bump this thing and give it one more shot. Picked up my 2012 Cyber Gray Grand Sport today... pulled the fuse before I even left the lot. Good...but not great. Need to amp it up and give it something with more muscle sound.

At this point...here's what I got....

Fusion: Almost Bullet loud, but with the ability to tone it down. This...could be good...if it's really 1.) nearly bullet loud 2.) a good difference between open/closed. Posts seemed to say the difference wasn't that large...but if I look close it seems to be more of a thought with Gen 2 vs Gen 3 fusions.

Bullets: I know I'd like em...but can I handle the drone? Sounds like ... no. I dont mind drone, but when I can't talk to whomever is sitting next to me...thats a problem.

Corsa Extremes: I like the sound... the fact that it is more of a raspy tone vs a smooth muscle tone; however, given feedback in posts I wonder if this would be loud enough for me. I think drone would exist (given I have an A6) but wouldn't be as bad as the bullets.

IF anyone local is going to be out and about this weekend and wouldn't mind meeting up to show off your pipes, let me know! I prefer to not make a $1000+ mistake right off the bat.

Thanks!
Hello:

Bigger difference with Gen 3.

Bullets sound killer - all the time. It could become wearing when you want quiet.

Another option for getting the Bullet sound, and more mellow and drone free sound at cruise is our PRT. It incorporates two exhaust passages. Under aggressive driving exhaust is routed through a true straight through passage that has the same smooth deep rich sound as the Bullet. Under normal cruise conditions exhaust is routed through a quieter passage that uses a combination of sound cancellation and absorption principals to cancel out drone (Purge Resonance Technology). The PRT exhaust system was developed due to customer demand - they wanted the an exhaust that sounded like the Bullet, but didn't drone. PRT sounds especially good on the C6.

FYI - Gen 3 Fusion will give you more of a distinction between loud/quiet than the PRT. The quiet side of the Fusion uses cancellation/absorption principles of the PRT. Fusion allows you to set the exhaust to loud or quiet. PRT reacts to throttle input - there are no vacuum operated valves.

Just when you thought you were getting a handle on all the options I throw the PRT into the mix

Here is a photo of the PRT
Attached Images  

Last edited by Jon@bbexhaust; 10-12-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:31 PM
PassNU
Instructor

Thanks for the response Jon- you're good at keeping an eye on this forum haha

So after driving around for a day I can honestly say I do not want anything that will EVER be quieter than NPP OPEN. I do understand where people talk about "drone" at certain RPM's; however, for me, as it's all opinion, I just call that "I'm driving a muscle car" sound.

The PRT doesn't sound bad...but to be honest, I don't want to have my sound hampered by how hard I'm pressing the gas. I see huge benefit in it for lots of folks...but I love the sound of my exhaust too much, so for me, that just means I'm going to be burning a lot more gas to hear the exhaust scream. Now...if it is always louder than NPP open, then maybe it's still a thought... but really, for me NPP open is just... ok.

Fusion Gen 3- With the valve closed, is it equal to NPP Open? So Fusion valve open is just straight gravy at that point. NPP Open, while just 'ok' for me, is great for the Mrs, thats the only reason I still think about a bi mode exhaust vs just throwing something loud on it. Doesn't have to happen...but if it fits the bill, why not right?....
Old 10-14-2013, 10:01 PM
PassNU
Instructor

Alright...so quite simply my mind was flying with ideas and not knowing what to order. Called B&B and Mike Boat had a chat with me, and I also talked to the guys at Southern Car Parts. I have a PRT system on the way... Will certainly write a solid review once it arrives.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:58 AM
Jon@bbexhaust
Instructor

Alright...so quite simply my mind was flying with ideas and not knowing what to order. Called B&B and Mike Boat had a chat with me, and I also talked to the guys at Southern Car Parts. I have a PRT system on the way... Will certainly write a solid review once it arrives.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:17 PM
PassNU
Instructor

Review of the PRT as promised! : My PRT Exhaust Review

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone w/ Fusions in Austin area?

Quick Reply: Anyone w/ Fusions in Austin area?