Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

TX DPS is on a roll .........Again

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 10:50 AM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Street Rat
Beepster got a warning ticket in Granbury. The next one was a $200 ticket in Georgetown. They have no mercy the second time around.

Yup..! During my first year as a Texas resident I received FOUR (4) tickets for no front plate. I was pulled over specifically for this (with no other driving infraction). The first 3 were warnings but the 4th was a REAL ticket issued when the DPS officer checked his laptop and found I had 3 prior warnings. Pretty remarkable when you consider I only put about 5-6M miles/yr on my vette...yeah, I'd say this law is strictly enforced...
Old 01-10-2016, 08:08 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Seems like the further south one goes in TX the more the DPS enforces compliance with the law. Especially on rural highways. This is of course speculation on my part since none of clan from west TX or the panhandle has seen fit to chime in.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:53 PM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
The state of Texas is divided into 254 counties. Harris is but one of them. Add to that the number of JP courts at the local level and in no way are the dockets crowded. If you are unfortunate enough to be stopped by either the DPS or Ellis County Sheriff for no front plate, you will be assessed the full $200 plus court costs. Same holds for the DPS on the DNT up here.
You have obviously never experienced a City of Houston Municipal or Harris County JP trial docket.

COH jury trial (not initial arraignment) dockets routinely start at 8am with an average of 150-200 separate defendants per courtroom. Multiple prosecutors then spend then next 4 hours making plea deals with defendants to reduce the number of defendants that will actually appear before a jury to a manageable number. Those plea deals include offers of deferred adjudication and defensive driving to those who didn't take it at arraignment, dismissal of the charge altogether in exchange for court costs, nolo contender please with minimum fines, etc.

Yes, Harris County is but one county ...

... but it is the most populated county in Texas at more than 4.1mm people.

Ellis County is 150k in comparison so I would venture that Harris county produces a much better cross-section for sampling purposes.

As for being ticketed outside Harris/Montgomery/Galveston counties in the last 5 years I have been routinely stopped by various DPS and sheriffs in our Grandsports on trips to San Antonio, College Station, Dallas, Weatherford and Austin and not once was I ever cited for not having a front plate.

Maybe the DPS/deputies out where you live are just too bored or are so revenue driven they are forced to write nuisance tickets.

I would add that a contributing factor to my lack of nuisance tickets is I treat ALL law enforcement with the utmost respect during traffic stops. These guys spend their days working to enforce the law and keep people safe and as far as I'm concerned are underpayed and definitely under-appreciated.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:01 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

You haven't been stopped since the law changed and teeth were put into it have you ?
Old 01-11-2016, 06:13 PM
Blue Demon
Le Mans Master

Location: And then it was said... "let there be blue Corvettes and yellow Camaros" Ft Worth Texas
Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Seems like the further south one goes in TX the more the DPS enforces compliance with the law. Especially on rural highways. This is of course speculation on my part since none of clan from west TX or the panhandle has seen fit to chime in.
The DPS troopers have always been very active on Hwy 287 connecting the Ft Worth area to the Amarillo area. I speak from several experiences, but none since the up to $200 fine came into play. A LEO friend told me 287 is a major drug hauling route and any little violation will get you stopped. Same reason so many people get stopped for no front plate on I-20 west of Ft Worth.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:55 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

yup, I see it all the time when I travel to Midland on business. Ditto going to Wichita Falls.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:59 PM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

You haven't been stopped since the law changed and teeth were put into it have you ?
What change?

Front plates have always been required in Texas and as a misdemeanor eligible to be fined the max amount at the court's discretion.

The only change that happened is that the DMV code specifc to license plates was moved a couple years ago to a different section and they initially omitted to include the fine values (which was subsequently resolved).

As for being stopped since the DMV code change I was stopped by DPS on HWY 105 westbound on the way to College Station (just passed Plantersville). I was driving my wife's 2012 Grandsport with no front plate (or bracket) and had not noticed that the inspection sticker was expired. DPS charger was originally coming the opposite direction then passed and u-turned and lit us up. Officer was very professional, giving me a written warning for the expired inspection sticker and a verbal warning for no front plate. He specifically stated that he would not have pulled me over for just the front plate but suggested I get it taken care of because other officers might.

Last edited by RC4G; 01-11-2016 at 11:42 PM. Reason: corrected spelling
Old 01-11-2016, 11:17 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by RC4G
What change?

Front plates have always been required in Texas and as a misdemeanor eligible to be fined the max amount at the court's discretion.

The only change that happened is that the DMV code specifc to license plates was moved a couple years ago to a different section and thei initially omitted to incode the fine values (which was subsequently resolved).

As for being stopped since the DMV code change I was stopped by DPS on HWY 105 westbound on the way to College Station (just passed Plantersville). I was driving my wife's 2012 Grandsport with no front plate (or bracket) and had not noticed that the inspection sticker was expired. DPS charger was originally coming the opposite direction then passed and u-turned and lit us up. Officer was very professional, giving me a written warning for the expired inspection sticker and a verbal warning for no front plate. He specifically stated that he would not have pulled me over for just the front plate but suggested I get it taken care of because other officers might.
You have been extremely fortunate for what ever reason. All I know is that for the past year since the legislature put some teeth into the front plate law in the form of a fine that is three figures, many have been stopped and cited.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:43 PM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Well, don't they say its better to be lucky than good?

If so I'm perfectly ok with that.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:05 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

At some point in time, that will end.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:20 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Y

Ellis County is 150k in comparison so I would venture that Harris county produces a much better cross-section for sampling purposes.
This would be true if we were sampling a greater portion of that 4.1m people than just one person's experience.

To add my two cents, I was stopped five times in El Paso by the same DPS officer (guy must really not have anything better to do), twice in my 03 Monte Carlo, and three times in my Vette. Since the law went into affect, I was stopped once for speeding, and the officer made a point to walk to the front of my car to check my front plate.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:58 PM
Premiumspeed
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

You have obviously never experienced a City of Houston Municipal or Harris County JP trial docket.

COH jury trial (not initial arraignment) dockets routinely start at 8am with an average of 150-200 separate defendants per courtroom. Multiple prosecutors then spend then next 4 hours making plea deals with defendants to reduce the number of defendants that will actually appear before a jury to a manageable number. Those plea deals include offers of deferred adjudication and defensive driving to those who didn't take it at arraignment, dismissal of the charge altogether in exchange for court costs, nolo contender please with minimum fines, etc.

As for being ticketed outside Harris/Montgomery/Galveston counties in the last 5 years I have been routinely stopped by various DPS and sheriffs in our Grandsports on trips to San Antonio, College Station, Dallas, Weatherford and Austin and not once was I ever cited for not having a front plate.

Maybe the DPS/deputies out where you live are just too bored or are so revenue driven they are forced to write nuisance tickets.

I would add that a contributing factor to my lack of nuisance tickets is I treat ALL law enforcement with the utmost respect during traffic stops. These guys spend their days working to enforce the law and keep people safe and as far as I'm concerned are underpayed and definitely under-appreciated.
I've lived in Harris County my entire 33 years. This is exactly how it works. Deferral is an easy way out or if you have a good traffic lawyer they can typically get it dismissed for ~$150.

I have no problem with them enforcing the law, i just personally will not ruin the favorite angle of my car by sticking an ugly plate on it.

6k miles on the Houston streets and no problems, sooner or later i'm sure i'll get stopped. I know my local Constable very well and he said it's just one of those things to look for if you "want" to pull someone over. Most of the local Cops could care less, but i know those DPS Troopers are hard core.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:00 PM
beepster
Melting Slicks

I agree that the front plate requirement in TX is blasphemous. I would likely go the court route, but based on past experience, I'd be doing it every couple of months. We are seriously over policed here in central TX with city police, county deputies, constables (not sure what they do), school district police, state police (DPS), Texas Rangers, etc. Other than the drug runs on I-35 and occasional rock throwing incidents, doesn't seem they have enough action to keep them all busy....
Old 01-12-2016, 06:06 PM
Gadfly
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

I will never put a front plate on my vette. I don't care what the law says.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:36 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Premiumspeed
I've lived in Harris County my entire 33 years. This is exactly how it works. Deferral is an easy way out or if you have a good traffic lawyer they can typically get it dismissed for ~$150.

I have no problem with them enforcing the law, i just personally will not ruin the favorite angle of my car by sticking an ugly plate on it.

6k miles on the Houston streets and no problems, sooner or later i'm sure i'll get stopped. I know my local Constable very well and he said it's just one of those things to look for if you "want" to pull someone over. Most of the local Cops could care less, but i know those DPS Troopers are hard core.
6k on the streets of Houston has got to suck big time. Your traffic there is atrocious to say the least. I have two accounts down there I visit several times a month. I time my drive down to get there about 10:30. By 1:30 I'm on the way back north.

Last edited by MikeyTX; 01-12-2016 at 11:37 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:00 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

I don't need no stinkin plate!

Except in the back... ( read trim)
Old 01-13-2016, 08:26 AM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Does anyone know if this law has ever been legally challenged? After all, it is discriminatory....not required for motorcycles.

Get notified of new replies

To TX DPS is on a roll .........Again

Old 01-13-2016, 10:57 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by beepster
Does anyone know if this law has ever been legally challenged? After all, it is discriminatory....not required for motorcycles.
Have you the time and money ?
Old 01-13-2016, 12:55 PM
zdeckich
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 231 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year

Originally Posted by Gadfly
Same here. The few police officers here in Fort Worth that I know, say they wont stop anyone for not having a front plate. I'm not worried about it. Haven't had a front plate on any of my cars for the past 15 years and don't plan to do so anytime soon.

Last edited by zdeckich; 01-13-2016 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:15 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 776 Likes on 469 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Gadfly
What if I win the powerball and offer you 1 million bucks to put it on?

Never is a long time...

Quick Reply: TX DPS is on a roll .........Again