Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

Reputable Corvette Shop in Houston?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 09:18 AM
sr71bb
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Yeah I would certainly avoid AMP as they are one of only two shops in the entire world that has C7's running in the 7's with virtually hundreds of installs GREAT IDEA!!! LOL
Old 03-06-2019, 10:57 AM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by sr71bb
Yeah I would certainly avoid AMP as they are one of only two shops in the entire world that has C7's running in the 7's with virtually hundreds of installs GREAT IDEA!!! LOL
yeah, they were five stars on Google reviews until this happened in August:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jalopni...1828237715/amp

You can do what you want with your $ (including continue to work there or own it ).

I believe it. I don’t know why they would apparently throw away a good business like that. But maybe they thought they wouldn’t get caught because they were so good at tuning.

This was also discussed at length in the general forums at the time so I’ll stop there.

Last edited by Parcival; 03-06-2019 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:23 AM
sr71bb
Racer

Originally Posted by Parcival
yeah, they were five stars on Google reviews until this happened in August:

You can do what you want with your $ (including continue to work there or own it ).

I believe it. I don’t know why they would apparently throw away a good business like that. But maybe they thought they wouldn’t get caught because they were so good at tuning.

This was also discussed at length in the general forums at the time so I’ll stop there.

That had absolutely NOTHING to do with the shop. So you are basically CLUELESS when you insinuate that it did. AMP has a PERFECT BBB rating and you cant find one PRIOR actual customer of the shop that has anything but good things to say about them. They have one of the most successful shops in the country and that hasnt nor will it ever change. Here you go:

https://www.bbb.org/search?find_coun...ormance&page=1

You can say anything you want on the internet and it doesnt have to be true unfortuantely. The motivation behind most damaging posts lie in either jealously or vindictiveness.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:44 PM
Parcival
Drifting

That had absolutely NOTHING to do with the shop. So you are basically CLUELESS when you insinuate that it did. AMP has a PERFECT BBB rating and you cant find one PRIOR actual customer of the shop that has anything but good things to say about them. They have one of the most successful shops in the country and that hasnt nor will it ever change. Here you go:

https://www.bbb.org/search?find_coun...ormance&page=1

You can say anything you want on the internet and it doesnt have to be true unfortuantely. The motivation behind most damaging posts lie in either jealously or vindictiveness.
Yeah, we're the ones all clueless and everyone is jealous or vindictive, blah blah blah!! Citing a BBB review is of course a joke, because the vendors pay the BBB for maintaining a certain status. Try google reviews, yelp reviews, and of course cf discussion.

If you're not an employee/owner of the company (which one may doubt because you know to cite its BBB reviews and not google/yelp/etc), but a buddy of those fraudsters, explain why the company retained the employee caught in the criminal act ("nothing to do with shop" but hey, he was "joking") and why zero apology has been issued by Jalopnik for the article despite the threat of legal action ...Most likely, because they can't defend it, duh. If Jalopnik issues an apology or settles a defamation suit, I'll know I'm wrong. Otherwise, if it still looks and smells like sh*t 6 months later...

Back to good shops in Houston (who don't spike metal shavings in an oil filter in order to get a lower price on a car they're actively buying).

Last edited by Parcival; 03-06-2019 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:52 PM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

Received 906 Likes on 570 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Wow, that's an amazing story. You can't make stuff like that up.

Back on track: Looking for a recommendation of a good alignment shop in NW Houston / Harris Co. It turns out PowerFab doesn't have an alignment machine.

Last edited by wjnjr; 03-11-2019 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:13 AM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by wjnjr
Wow, that's an amazing story. You can't make stuff like that up.

Back on track: Looking for a recommendation of a good alignment shop in NW Houston / Harris Co. It turns out PowerFab doesn't have an alignment machine.
Sal's Autosport off 290. Best alignment guy for Vette's in the Houston area.
The following users liked this post:
Parcival (08-13-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 11:41 AM
Bigwebb
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I want to have my valve train gone through. Particularly pushrod lengths rechecked when i replace valve springs. I called a couple of shops and many seemed stunned by the idea that they'd have to measure all pushrod lengths, and that there would/should be variances. That was a dealbreaker for me in giving the work to any of those. Can someone recommend a shop that knows what they're doing with the valve train? I'd like to have mine gone through and remeasured while I replace springs.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:49 AM
sr71bb
Racer

Originally Posted by Bigwebb
I want to have my valve train gone through. Particularly pushrod lengths rechecked when i replace valve springs. I called a couple of shops and many seemed stunned by the idea that they'd have to measure all pushrod lengths, and that there would/should be variances. That was a dealbreaker for me in giving the work to any of those. Can someone recommend a shop that knows what they're doing with the valve train? I'd like to have mine gone through and remeasured while I replace springs.
Well if you are asking for a great shop in Houston, I would try Late Model Racecraft (LMR). AMP (Advanced Modern Performance) in the DFW area would be an excellent choice as well.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:18 PM
Bigwebb
Drifting

called lmr yesterday. hopefully will get a call back with some promising information. any other recommendations are welcome. Just want someone who will make sure the valve train is tight
Old 08-13-2019, 03:27 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Well if you are asking for a great shop in Houston, I would try Late Model Racecraft (LMR). AMP (Advanced Modern Performance) in the DFW area would be an excellent choice as well.
beware: AMP owner/ employee/ drinking buddy pumping it again?

Old 08-14-2019, 07:10 PM
philadd
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Why would pushrod lengths need to be rechecked while changing valve springs (assuming no other changes)? Replacing the valve springs doesn't change the valvetrain geometry, and neither the pushrods nor the surrounding components are wear items.
Old 08-17-2019, 01:05 PM
Bigwebb
Drifting

Originally Posted by philadd
Why would pushrod lengths need to be rechecked while changing valve springs (assuming no other changes)? Replacing the valve springs doesn't change the valvetrain geometry, and neither the pushrods nor the surrounding components are wear items.
I believe that the intake pushrod closest to the driver is a few thousandths off (short), and could stand to be tightened up. If I had to guess, it's probably 10 thousandths short. I want them to be as close to perfect as possible (.035 preload), since any gap is proportionately amplified by the short travel nature of the lifters. It's a larger percentage of your overall travel than a standard lifter.

Springs and new throttle body should be here Monday or Tuesday. Will take it in to one of the shops here in Houston to have all of that done, as soon as I can identify the issue. I can't seem to get a response back from LMR after requesting the estimate, but I did get a nasty virus emailed to me yesterday morning. I normally wouldn't open something like that, but I'd been anxiously awaiting a quote. Looks like my paypal and a couple of other things got compromised. I don't think it's their fault for the record... Just a little frustrating when combined with not being able to get the estimate.

Daniel
Old 08-18-2019, 08:31 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

I believe that the intake pushrod closest to the driver is a few thousandths off (short), and could stand to be tightened up. If I had to guess, it's probably 10 thousandths short. I want them to be as close to perfect as possible (.035 preload), since any gap is proportionately amplified by the short travel nature of the lifters. It's a larger percentage of your overall travel than a standard lifter.

Springs and new throttle body should be here Monday or Tuesday. Will take it in to one of the shops here in Houston to have all of that done, as soon as I can identify the issue. I can't seem to get a response back from LMR after requesting the estimate, but I did get a nasty virus emailed to me yesterday morning. I normally wouldn't open something like that, but I'd been anxiously awaiting a quote. Looks like my paypal and a couple of other things got compromised. I don't think it's their fault for the record... Just a little frustrating when combined with not being able to get the estimate.

Daniel
I got that email too. About 9 months after asking for a quote on a tune. I tried to open the attachment on my phone. It wouldn't open for me. Thank goodness.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:11 PM
Bigwebb
Drifting

Originally Posted by old motorhead
I got that email too. About 9 months after asking for a quote on a tune. I tried to open the attachment on my phone. It wouldn't open for me. Thank goodness.

did you get it friday? did you ever get the actual quote?
Old 08-18-2019, 08:26 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

did you get it friday? did you ever get the actual quote?
Yeah, I did get that email Friday. I asked them for a quote on a tune on Jan 14 of this year. They got back to me on Jan 16 with the quote and told me they'd be back in touch for scheduling. Never heard from them again until last Friday.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:17 AM
Bigwebb
Drifting

Originally Posted by old motorhead
Yeah, I did get that email Friday. I asked them for a quote on a tune on Jan 14 of this year. They got back to me on Jan 16 with the quote and told me they'd be back in touch for scheduling. Never heard from them again until last Friday.

yeah don't click it. I am in the process of dealing with paypal, discover, and coinbase as well as wiping my laptop, because those accounts were compromised.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:43 PM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

Good info, thanks everybody.
Old 08-29-2019, 02:20 PM
MickeyD
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is Crossed Flag Performance in Magnolia. Call Steve. Did awesome work for me very reputable. Known him awhile.

Quick Reply: Reputable Corvette Shop in Houston?