Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

My Dealership experience

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 09:17 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
It's just mind boggling that something like that could happen.
I mean how difficult is it to properly screw on an oil filter and
the repercussions of not doing it correctly.
Mechanics that do not double-check their work, or pawn it off on an assistant without checking their work - are the screw ups.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:22 PM
DWS44
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 444 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Good Lord what a mess...not just the potential damage to the Vette, but now oil stains all over the garage floor to boot.

Luckily my "free" dealer screw-up was simply a massive overfill that I caught. Back to doing them myself in the future, too.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:39 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 909 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Yep Ok for most but if your are 75 and short on grip it may not be enough.
Agreed...hand tight is different for each of us...using a torque wrench takes all the guess work out of it and provides a consistent installation time after time.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:18 PM
rwheelz
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Just had a horrible experience at MacMulkin as well. I will be putting up a post this weekend and will link to your thread. I was speaking with another corvette owner there this morning who has had problems with their service department. Incompetent and inconsiderate across the board. What a colossal disappointment!
Old 11-02-2017, 10:32 PM
CECUBB
Heel & Toe

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Find independent mechanics!

I have been dealing with a local independent garage specializing in Corvettes for eight years with NO ISSUES. I have a first name relationship with the tech who works on my car. Why do people keep going to dealers for non warranty work?
Old 11-02-2017, 11:18 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,708 Likes on 5,595 Posts

You would think that a dealership that seems to have so much pride in being "The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country" would also have enough pride in their service department to be more responsible with it's customer's cars.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:42 PM
lostsoul
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 944 Likes on 558 Posts

you should get 25% off next vett and have them epoxy your garage now. AND throw in a key chain
Old 11-03-2017, 01:56 AM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Of course we all know there is different thinking in some dealerships about have a Corvette trained tech doing an oil change vs the lube rack guy.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:49 AM
vze24v5s
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by super99
OP - is that an SS in your garage?

Love those
Yes. 2016
Old 11-03-2017, 06:52 AM
vze24v5s
5th Gear

Originally Posted by lostsoul
you should get 25% off next vett and have them epoxy your garage now. AND throw in a key chain
Not going to happen. Chevrolet Customer Service and GM says it is a dealership problem. Lets just say I had to fix the problem myself at considerable expense.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:55 AM
vze24v5s
5th Gear

Originally Posted by rwheelz
Just had a horrible experience at MacMulkin as well. I will be putting up a post this weekend and will link to your thread. I was speaking with another corvette owner there this morning who has had problems with their service department. Incompetent and inconsiderate across the board. What a colossal disappointment!
Next time you are there, ask them if they heard about the guy who brought his corvette in for an oil change service and the next day all the oil was on the floor.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:06 AM
vze24v5s
5th Gear

Originally Posted by pewter99
did you send them a bill for new oil, filter, dri-sweep etc? did they refund your money?
They did pick the car up and do another oil change, plus clean up the underside of the car. They offered me a free oil change for my next service. I had to ask for refund. I had to file a homeowner claim to fix the oil stain. The garage floor was sealed and coated at considerable expense to me. Chevrolet Customer Service and GM said it was a dealership problem-not theirs.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:17 AM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

^^^I have to agree with GM on their take of the situation. They can't control incompetent lube techs at each dealership.

It's just a shame that it made such a damn mess of your garage and driveway. Hope that they get everything back to normal for you soon.

Sweet SS - I had bought an 09 G8 GT brand new and loved it until the C7s came out then I had to part ways with it. Had CAI/cam/headers/highflow cats/tune and ran like a scalded dog with it's "little" 6.0.

Last edited by lakemg; 11-03-2017 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:25 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Exactly what I was thinking.
Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
You would think that a dealership that seems to have so much pride in being "The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country" would also have enough pride in their service department to be more responsible with it's customer's cars.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:02 AM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 350 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by super99
OP - is that an SS in your garage?

Love those
me too.

Originally Posted by vze24v5s
Yes. 2016
2017 for me. Nightfall Grey.

(sorry for the hijack)
Old 11-03-2017, 10:56 AM
MacMulkin
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 4,105 Likes on 919 Posts

I'm really sorry that you had this experience.

However, as we all know, there's two sides to every story.

The oil filter was loose. It was not ready to fall off your car, because if that were the case, given where you live, it would have fallen off very early on your return home.

Given the pictures of your garage floor and what our staff observed, approximately one-half to one quart of oil may have drained out on the floor.

We flat-bedded your Corvette back - fixed and cleaned everything, cleaned up the spill as best we could to your unsealed, concrete garage floor and offered to seal your garage floor and seal coat your driveway at no cost to you.

You were fine with that, and agreed that it would be better to hold off until the spring time due to all the leaves and acorns in your driveway.

You were just here talking to Jesse and demanding to see Tommy Jr. Tommy wasn't in, and our Operations Director introduced himself to you to which you rudely told him to "GO AWAY".

So, our staff, including the Service Manager and Operations Director has bent over backwards trying to please you to no avail, and then you threatened that you were coming here to slam us in the forums.

You are more than welcome to do so, but if you're going to take that road - present both sides of the story, and not just your own.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:49 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

People make mistakes all the time. One of our forum brothers filled his clutch fluid with oil by mistake as an example.

But folks are so quick to throw stones like they never make a mistake working on their cars. Everyone here never caused more damage or screwed up something, just because they where distracted or maybe were inexperienced? I know I have!

I don't know what happened here and really don't care. But what gives most of you the right to jump right in and say Oh free oil changes are a joke? Dealers are crap? Those statements are ridiculous as can be.

Folks with chips on their shoulders are always finding folks with bigger chips who knock them down.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:35 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
People make mistakes all the time. One of our forum brothers filled his clutch fluid with oil by mistake as an example.

But folks are so quick to throw stones like they never make a mistake working on their cars. Everyone here never caused more damage or screwed up something, just because they where distracted or maybe were inexperienced? I know I have!

I don't know what happened here and really don't care. But what gives most of you the right to jump right in and say Oh free oil changes are a joke? Dealers are crap? Those statements are ridiculous as can be.

Folks with chips on their shoulders are always finding folks with bigger chips who knock them down.
With all of the instances where dealers have overfilled the dry sump oil system (I personally had it happen to me), it's safe to say that it's not just a one off situation. It happens quite often and I bet we only hear about a small portion of the true number of instances. I wish that I could give you my free oil changes since you're so willing to let them change yours.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:52 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Both sides have had their say. Closed.