Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

Boardwalk did not disclose material information

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 09:27 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

There haven't been matching numbers for quite some time but with computerized service records the "purists" will be able to track these things far into the future.

Twenty years from now it wouldn't bother me but if a dealer had sold me a new car and not disclosed this info I wouldn't be happy and in some states this behavior would violate state codes. My biggest concern would be whether this is a dealership that is capable and also known for handling service jobs well or if it is one that may or may not properly do the oil change for a dry sump car. It brings to mind my Cadillac dealer that took four attempts to do a simple OnStar module that was replaced under recall; I wouldn't want anything major going under the knife at that shop.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:42 PM
Bikeman
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Are new car engine block numbers still “matched” to the car? Does “matching numbers” mean anything now?
This is an amazing story .lm astounded at some of the responses here. Maybe to some replacing a total engine is not a big deal but to a reasonable and prudent individual it most certainly is! Paying for a new car does not include this.Just purchased a new Zo6. If This happened to me the car would be back on the lot and I would be going elsewhere .its their problem not mine. I hope you’re not talking about Boardwalk. If it is l will never give them any more of my business. Regardless of what the fine points of the law are or what GM/dealorship thinks they can legally can get away with seems pretty clearly non disclosure fraud to me. Ask yourself how a magistrate would feel if this happened to him.Why should the buyer accept ANYTHING less the a perfectly new car?
Old 12-18-2017, 10:04 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

I would Not want a New car with the engine replaced.
OTOH, at this point we don't know if it was replaced at the Factory or the Dealer.
I could live with a car if the engine was replaced at the Factory before ever leaving the Factory.
But no way I would want it if the engine was replaced by a Dealer.
Just my 2 cents
Old 12-18-2017, 10:16 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by rick t
have to ask, did the servicing dealer diagnose and fix the rattle noise you took it in for?

Please keep us informed and we all hope you're happy no matter what happens.
x2?
Old 12-18-2017, 10:18 PM
2500 hd
Race Director

Received 364 Likes on 231 Posts
St. Jude Donor ‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Dif
OTOH, at this point we don't know if it was replaced at the Factory or the Dealer.
I could live with a car if the engine was replaced at the Factory before ever leaving the Factory.
Just my 2 cents
Exactly..
Old 12-18-2017, 10:36 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif
I could live with a car if the engine was replaced at the Factory before ever leaving the Factory. But no way I would want it if the engine was replaced by a Dealer.
Just my 2 cents.
At the factory there is a high probability a second engine will be installed properly. At many dealers this would not be assured.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:54 PM
VroomAB
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif
Just my 2 cents
The engine was replaced at / by the dealer, not at the Factory.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:06 PM
Ron'sGS
Burning Brakes

Received 266 Likes on 198 Posts

Following.....
Old 12-18-2017, 11:12 PM
red62vette
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 152 Posts

To me, it would be one thing if a dealer told me they have a car that's had the engine replaced, they're offering a good deal on it, and I negotiated with full knowledge. But I'd be completely pissed if I were in your shoes.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:25 PM
JGarland
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

Why be upset?

I'd be upset if they DIDN'T replace the bad factory motor.

Enjoy your new car!
Old 12-18-2017, 11:27 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I'm with Rick T and can see both sides of the issues now that I've read it to this point. And, in my opinion, an engine replaced at the factory will not trigger a VIS-written line item about engine replacement. So, unless I miss my guess this wasn't done at the factory. Not all cars, but several are held up at the factory before delivery to give them a more thorough testing---during that time, things may get fixed/replaced. This car probably wasn't one of them.

I'd say if it was anyone including me, I'd want a new car, not a new car with a replaced engine. I don't know, like Gearhead Jim said, the CA laws, but I bet any lawyer could make the case for a replacement new car---but maybe not in CA. I doubt that a dealer can argue caveat emptor on a new car and that not disclosing a new car with an engine replaced is a-ok. But, one thing I do remember is that auto dealers in many states have some very strong things going in their favor that most other businesses do not have.

Good luck. Tell us how it all turns out for you.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:30 PM
red62vette
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by JGarland
Why be upset?

I'd be upset if they DIDN'T replace the bad factory motor.

Enjoy your new car!
So for those who wouldn't be upset, then is it reasonable to assume if you were given the choice between two new Vettes at the same cost, but one had the factory engine and the other a replacement, you'd be indifferent between the two cars?
Old 12-18-2017, 11:35 PM
MerakiAutoworks
Supporting Vendor

Received 588 Likes on 519 Posts

Interesting to see peoples opinions lol

-Josh
Old 12-18-2017, 11:36 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

I wouldn't have been happy either if I were in this situation.

Good luck with getting it resolved.

That being said, what would you be happy with as the solution?
Old 12-18-2017, 11:37 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
You were sold a brand new car with 7 miles on the odometer that has a brand new engine in it, all done by GM authorized service personnel. The car has a full bumper to bumper warranty, which will cover whatever rattle you have going on right now. And you want compensation why? I don't see how you have been damaged in any way.
While I agree with you that it's not fundamentally different than an engine replaced at the factory before the car was released, if you read the CA statute posted by the OP, you would see this dealership was clearly in violation of the disclosure requirement. The purpose of the statute is to allow a customer to decide whether to accept a new car that has been repaired before sale or not. The statute clearly applies only to major repairs, and an engine replacement certainly qualifies.

I agree the car will probably be fine, but that's not really the point here.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-18-2017 at 11:39 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:40 PM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

If you like the car, perhaps you should demand $$$$ from selling dealer and then keep it if they give you enough $$$$ for their deception. It's under warranty for 60K.

I would also demand to know what issues with the original engine that caused them to replace it.

Replacing the engine is less work and likely less problematic than replacing the Torque Converter which many of us have had done.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:43 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

I'm in the "pissed" camp. After being in a C2 for many years and having a Top Flight car, originality is a big deal which gives me a biased opinion. I hope it works out to the OP's satisfaction.

Get notified of new replies

To Boardwalk did not disclose material information

Old 12-18-2017, 11:47 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

OP, I can speak as someone who bought a used (CPO) C7, not a new car. One of the first things I did was ask to see the GM VIS report for both cars that I made offers on. When I bought the car from Mike at Criswell, I told him when I got there, to have the report waiting. He sat down with me and went over every detail in the report. The folks at Hendrick did the same thing when I was looking at one of their C7s. Neither dealer was surprised with this request.
If you plan on keeping this car a long time, it will not make much, if any, difference. But if you're the type to replace your car every two or three years, then yes it might affect the trade in or resale value.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:48 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
And the Internet Lawyers will have a field day with it.

Me, I'm just smart enough to know that I don't know beans about what California law says on this subject.
If OP doesn't feel satisfied with what the dealer(s) is doing to make him happy, he needs a real lawyer to tell him what his options are.
In this case, the CA statute is very clear. It doesn't take either a real or "internet lawyer" to understand disclosure was required in this case, just an understanding of plain English.

OP linked it in post #13.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...er=4.&article=

Last edited by Foosh; 12-18-2017 at 11:54 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:52 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Reminded of when I sold a 1988 Vette, my first. A fellow who had a number of Vettes had a condo in Charleston SC and lived in the Mid West. Saw my News Paper ad and came up to look at the car.

He was checking for the serial number on the engine! I assured him it was the engine that came with the car. He said yes, but if there was a problem when they started the car at the end of the assembly line they could have installed a replacement engine they have on hand for that possibility! He said he could tell if it was by the engine serial number!

He bought the car, drove it back home and I ordered a '93 40th Anniversary model! So could use that as a reason for possible reduced resale. However with the high volumes of C7's sold doubt there are many folks who would care! But takes all kinds so it's possible!

Last edited by JerryU; 12-18-2017 at 11:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Boardwalk did not disclose material information