Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

Denied services by an Airbrush artist?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 12:15 AM
smajicek
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

Default Denied services by an Airbrush artist?

Hello everyone, has this ever happened to you where you requested services from a vendor, agreed on a price, and later was told by that vendor he does not think he can meet your expectations, then he refunds your money in anger, 8 months later you try to contact him that you want some of his work of the shelf from him and he tells you DO NOT CALL ME, DO NOT EMAIL, DO NOT EVER CONTACT ME, I DO NOT WANT TO DO ANY WORK FOR YOU.

Here is what happened, last year in April I contacted a hoodliner airbrush artist Steve Ray from Airbrush Inc. that does great work and I considered him as Pablo Picasso who can do anything and has done some of our forum members hoodliners. elegant and Jagaramajan.

I wanted a replica of a photo I took of my car with the background on the entire hoodliner and was given a price for full color photo replicated on the hoodliner. I was told he is all booked up and there is a 4 month wait. In September I contacted him for this and gave him this photo and because there was so much detail in this photo the price jumped from $1,500 up another $1,000 to $2,500. After admittingly agreeing with him that was true and I wanted this to be near perfect I gave him my credit card for the full payment of $2,500 to get started. A week goes by and a couple of phone conversations he stated to me if I wanted it to be near perfect the price would have to go up in price by another $8,000 to a tune of $10,500 for a hoodliner? I told him sorry but that is just way too much for me to spend on a hoodliner that will be seen at cars & coffee and car shows only when the hood is open. He refunded my money without even starting on it and life went on.

A couple of weeks ago I contacted him again by email to get a price on one of his hoodliners that he has done in the past and on his website that is very simple with just the corvette flags painted in color, some flames and a jake skull. A week goes by with no reply I decide to call him. His phone conversation was the opposite of pleasant and he told me DO NOT CALL ME, DO NOT EMAIL, DO NOT EVER CONTACT ME, I DO NOT WANT TO DO ANY WORK FOR YOU.

I can see he is fuming that he had to pay 3% surgarge on running my credit card, that comes to about $72, you can get a nice steak dinner for 2 on the east coast for that.

What ever happened to customer service? He is a baller doing great work and has lots of customers, so he does not need my business and money.

Has anyone here been denied giving money into a vendors pocket because of some misunderstandings in the past?

Just a word of caution if you are thinking of doing business with Steve Ray from Airbrush Inc. don't get on his bad side because he will refuse doing business with you going forward.

This is the hoodliner I wanted originally last year that he refused to do and will never be.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:40 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,195 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

FWIW he hasn't been a vendor on the forum for quite awhile...
Old 05-17-2018, 12:50 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 277 Posts

Sometimes in business you get a feel for what customers expectations are, and its simply not worth your time to deal with it.

With that said, that doesnt mean his response to you was proper, but it may be rooted in unrealistic exceptions??
Old 05-17-2018, 08:53 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,359 Likes on 2,787 Posts

I don’t see the problem. The guy is in business for himself and a creative one at that. His decision that he does not want to do business with a particular customer for whatever reason is his decision, I think.

I’ve known more than one businessman who has decided not to deal with a particular customer if he doesn’t want to.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:09 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

One of the most important attributes of a successful business owner is to be able to tell early on who you can work with and not to waste your time on folks you can't for whatever reason. The guy that started me out in my 30 year career said it this way. The difference between a real egg and a china egg is that the china egg feels like an egg and looks like an egg but you can't eat it. And early on he congratulated me on being able to tell the difference in an industry where the wrong client can waste an awful lot of your time and make you ultimately unsuccessful. That didn't or doesn't make the china eggs bad people or even lesser people than the real eggs, but sometimes you simply can't work with someone else for reasons that are nobodies fault.

Last edited by pkincy; 05-17-2018 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:15 PM
smajicek
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by atljar
Sometimes in business you get a feel for what customers expectations are, and its simply not worth your time to deal with it.

With that said, that doesnt mean his response to you was proper, but it may be rooted in unrealistic exceptions??
Sure understood, and when my 1st custom hoodliner was not going to get done I simply asked for a simple off the shelf hoodliner that he already has, whats wrong with that. its already made, just put in box and ship.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:30 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,763 Likes on 1,530 Posts

Default ttt

He had a bad weekend with the wife & didn't get any, came in on a Monday & took it out on the first call which was you.Robert
Old 05-23-2018, 02:52 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

I know a few vendors and a wanna be or two who likely wouldn't deal with me, one was a total dbag to me but i look at it as a blessing in disguise.

Get notified of new replies

To Denied services by an Airbrush artist?