Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tpms delete kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 04:03 PM
FordDefector
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if I have an '01 C5, can I just buy the Z06 receiver to get rid of the TPMS and reprogram my original key fobs? Would I have to get TPMS disabled in the tune so it doesn't give me the warning message on the DIC, defeating the purpose of changing the receiver, or will it just have the code present but not bother me through the DIC?

Last edited by FordDefector; 07-25-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:40 AM
FordDefector
Instructor

Nobody knows the answer to this?
Old 10-18-2012, 10:27 AM
DTPDave
Intermediate

you dont need to buy anything. Any 01-04 can have the monitors turned off with a Tech2
Old 10-20-2012, 07:20 PM
Dragracer_Art
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DTPDave
you dont need to buy anything. Any 01-04 can have the monitors turned off with a Tech2
How about an '05 ???
Old 10-21-2012, 04:53 AM
FordDefector
Instructor

Originally Posted by DTPDave
Seems like a Tech2 is prohibitively expensive given what I want it for. I'm guessing a dealership would have a Tech2 but would probably refuse to turn off TPMS for liability reasons.
Is this something that a shop could turn off for me in the tune? I know mine was tuned used HPTuners when the motor was built. It was my understanding that the TPMS is part of the BCM and HPTuners only communicates with the PCM. Is this true?
Old 10-21-2012, 11:41 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragracer_Art
How about an '05 ???
Can't disable the TPMS in a C6!!!

100% of all vehicles (cars/vans/light trucks less than 10,000 lbs) manufactured after Sept 2007 (start of the 2008 model year) must have tire pressure sensors and a TPMS.

For the several years prior to that there was a phase-in requirement where increasing percentages of a manufacturer's vehicles needed to be built with the system until the 100% date was reached.

The C6 came out when this regulation was just starting, and it was built to comply with the requirement.

Like Luke said in a post above, you cant disable the TPMS, at least on a street driven car - if your car is track only, you can do whatever you want and will comply with class rules and your organization's tech requirements.

Here's an except from the NHTSA ruling that says TPMS may not be disabled:

Under 49 U.S.C. 30122(b), "A manufacturer, distributor, dealer, or motor vehicle repair business may not knowingly make inoperative any part of a device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle or motor vehicle equipment in compliance with an applicable motor vehicle safety standard prescribed under this chapter...
So, disabling your TPMS would essentially be the same as disabling your airbags or taking the seat belts out of your car.

Any C5 or earlier Vette was built before that regulation, so doesn't need to comply.

However, if you read the fine print on the sidewall of every runflat tire it says that tire pressure sensors must be run in the tires. A zealous insurance agent could probably deny coverage if they found that you didn't have sensors in your runflats when your car ended up in a guard rail on the off ramp because you didn't know you lost pressure while driving down the highway and took the off ramp in your normal spirited manner and lost control due to a flat tire.

Just MHO, YMMV!!

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 10-21-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:47 PM
David Shiel
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts
Default An old post, but

Originally Posted by Luke@tirerack
as federal law states "it is unlawful to eliminate and/or disable the tire pressure monitoring system in any passenger vehicle that is 2008 or newer"
who gives a crap what the Nanny Fed Gov says !! We are lucky that the Feds haven't completely crashed the entire country F'em.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:52 PM
David Shiel
Drifting

Default I do't see anything about what an owner can do and,

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Can't disable the TPMS in a C6!!!

100% of all vehicles (cars/vans/light trucks less than 10,000 lbs) manufactured after Sept 2007 (start of the 2008 model year) must have tire pressure sensors and a TPMS.

For the several years prior to that there was a phase-in requirement where increasing percentages of a manufacturer's vehicles needed to be built with the system until the 100% date was reached.

The C6 came out when this regulation was just starting, and it wasmany have scrapped the runflats built to comply with the requirement.

Like Luke said in a post above, you cant disable the TPMS, at least on a street driven car - if your car is track only, you can do whatever you want and will comply with class rules and your organization's tech requirements.

Here's an except from the NHTSA ruling that says TPMS may not be disabled:

So, disabling your TPMS would essentially be the same as disabling your airbags or taking the seat belts out of your car.

Any C5 or earlier Vette was built before that regulation, so doesn't need to comply.

However, if you read the fine print on the sidewall of every runflat tire it says that tire pressure sensors must be run in the tires. A zealous insurance agent could probably deny coverage if they found that you didn't have sensors in your runflats when your car ended up in a guard rail on the off ramp because you didn't know you lost pressure while driving down the highway and took the off ramp in your normal spirited manner and lost control due to a flat tire.

Just MHO, YMMV!!

Bob
many are not using runflats. And, screw the FEDs as elsewhere.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:07 AM
ericwilloughby
4th Gear

Originally Posted by David Shiel
who gives a crap what the Nanny Fed Gov says !! We are lucky that the Feds haven't completely crashed the entire country F'em.
The business that sold you delete parts can be sued. Thats who cares
Old 11-03-2016, 09:55 AM
David Shiel
Drifting

Default And, so

[QUOTE=ericwilloughby;1593386999]The business that sold you delete parts can be sued. Thats who cares[/

Wrong, they don't give a fat rat's patoot about these onerous unwanted Federal intrusions either. There are documented cases of run flat catastrophic failures resulting in serious accidents.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:24 PM
ericwilloughby
4th Gear

[QUOTE=David Shiel;1593388047]
Originally Posted by ericwilloughby
The business that sold you delete parts can be sued. Thats who cares[/

Wrong, they don't give a fat rat's patoot about these onerous unwanted Federal intrusions either. There are documented cases of run flat catastrophic failures resulting in serious accidents.
Really. U think so. So why is there not a single option to delete the tpms? Name one

Quick Reply: tpms delete kit