Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tpms delete kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 10:49 PM
jonnyc
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Default tpms delete kit

i was browsing ebay and came across this delete kit for the tpm sensors.has anyone used this,and if so, does it work well?

anyone have input on this kit?

Last edited by jonnyc; 08-10-2010 at 12:49 AM.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:58 AM
Indy
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never heard of this...but it seems rather expensive to me...you can get rebuild tpms for that price. Indy
Old 12-27-2009, 11:33 AM
jonnyc
Pro

i was thinking more about the guys that want street setup and a track setup and not have to worry about tpms in the track tires.or re-setting the computer every time you want to change wheels.
plus,in my case i don't have a key fob.and this kit comes with 2 new fobs.

my kit should be here next week.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:24 AM
BlackedOutC6
Instructor

Originally Posted by Indy
Never heard of this...but it seems rather expensive to me...you can get rebuild tpms for that price. Indy
+1

Never heard of this
Old 01-03-2010, 04:34 PM
jonnyc
Pro

just got done installing it.very easy.just unplug and remove the factory tpms receiver(located above the driver rear wheel tub)and plug in the aftermarket receiver and snap it back in place.then program the new key fobs.
now the tire pressure info doesn't even come up on the DIC.both fobs work fine and now i can switch wheels and not have to worry about the tpm sensors.

if you have a 97-00 that you want to swap wheels/tires and not have to worry about sensors,i would recommend this kit.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:41 PM
wiedemab
Heel & Toe

I am thinking of buying this kit. Can you elaborate on how to reset it so that the new fobs work? Also, maybe take a pic of the location of the module?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:21 AM
drivinfast
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

even though there is the EBay buyer protection; the no returns accepted makes it a stopper for me
Old 04-24-2010, 04:28 PM
3318C5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm going to revive this post.

Anybody else have experiance with this product?

To the OP, is the product still holding up, any problems??
Old 04-24-2010, 09:33 PM
wiedemab
Heel & Toe

I bought one of the last few of these that SMC had in stock for my '99. It was plug and play. Just plug it in and reprogram/learn the new key fobs and you are good to go. The Tire Pressures do not even show in the display any more.

From the research that I've done, it is just the European RF receiver and apparently they did not have TPMS on the Euro Vettes. I still think the better option would be to just have it deleted using a Tech II, but I was having a hard time finding someone that would do it. I also read some unsubstantiated reports that the pre 2000 models wouldn't allow it to be deleted, but not sure how true that is. I got somewhat tired of messing around with it, so I just gave in and bought this product.

So far it works great, but the obvious drawback is price. I should have taken pics of the install, but didn't.

I hope this helps.....

Brandon

Last edited by wiedemab; 04-25-2010 at 10:55 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-25-2010, 03:30 PM
3318C5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wiedemab
I bought one of the last few of these that SMC had in stock for my '99. It was plug and play. Just plug it in and reprogram/learn the new key fobs and you are good to go. The Tire Pressures do not even show in the display any more.

From the research that I've done, it is just the European RF receiver and apparently they did not have TPMS on the Euro Vettes. I still think the better option would be to just have it deleted using a Tech II, but I was having a hard time finding someone that would do it. I also read some unsubstantiated reports that the pre 2000 models wouldn't allow it to be deleted, but not sure how true that is. I got somewhat tired of messing around with it, so I just gave in and bought this product.

So far it works great, but the obvious drawback is price. I should have taken pics of the install, but didn't.

I hope this helps.....

Branodn
Brandon thanks for the feedback. I'm going to try & remove the code/warning myself. I bought a diagnostic computer that reads & clears codes. I had actually forgotten about the code (I do not drive the vette daily). If i can't turn it off with the reader, I will buy one of the delete kits.

Great item, the price is a little high as some have stated, buty great item!!

Mike

Mike
Old 06-28-2010, 12:16 AM
BobAruba
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jonnyc, it looks like you own a '99 FRC... so do I. As some have said it's almost cost prohibitive but if it works it sounds like a great unit.

Brandon, I just wondered if your original key fob remotes could also be used along with the packaged remotes that come with the new delete receiver? Still no problems?

Mike, how did your attempt at removing the code/warning go?

Sorry, Jonnyc, I don't mean to highjack your thread. I sure would like to eliminate the TPMS on my '99 without the Vette coding every time I start it up.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:35 AM
wiedemab
Heel & Toe

I am pretty sure you have to use the new fobs, but I didn't try my old ones. So far I've had no issues.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:53 AM
BobAruba
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crap! Just called SMC Performance and was informed that all of their kits are sold nor do they anticipate being able to obtain more because they are a GM discontinued item… lost out by a few months.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:19 AM
Pack Leader
Racer

Couldn't you just mount the sensors in say a piece of 4" diameter sealed/capped pvc pipe then inflate to 30 psi & stow in the cubbie? Just a thought... You could swap tires all day long and the monitor would always detect your stowed sensors..
Old 08-02-2010, 02:32 PM
jmaal13
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pack Leader
Couldn't you just mount the sensors in say a piece of 4" diameter sealed/capped pvc pipe then inflate to 30 psi & stow in the cubbie? Just a thought... You could swap tires all day long and the monitor would always detect your stowed sensors..
I tried all of the above on my 97.
Tried the tech 2 and that option to remove is only on 2001 04. This is when the z06 wasadded which allowed the removal since the z06 does not have sensors. Also tried the container with sensors in it and keep it at 30 psi. It works when u program the sensors, but the sensors use gravity/inertia to "wake up" and send the reading to the receiver.
What happens is they stay in sleep mode unless you put a magnet near the canister or shAke the canister really hard. That left me with the smc option which has been working flawlessly for over a year. And to answer the other ? You cannot use 97-00 remotes with it, only 01-04 remotes. Now we need a diy with parts to make it ourselves since smc can't get it anymore.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:57 AM
jonnyc
Pro

i forgot about this thread.

my smc unit is still working perfect.the only thing i've found is that when you run a code check,it will always have code c2121 as current and you cannot reset it.but it never sets off the service engine light.

if i had to do it again,i would have just bought one from a z06 and got the 01-04 key fobs.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:40 AM
DTPDave
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jmaal13
You cannot use 97-00 remotes with it, only 01-04 remotes. Now we need a diy with parts to make it ourselves since smc can't get it anymore.
Anyone know if anyone has something like this available. TPMs are a PITA on the road course

Get notified of new replies

To tpms delete kit

Old 06-15-2012, 01:50 PM
0Luke@tirerack
Former Vendor

Received 148 Likes on 63 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

as federal law states "it is unlawful to eliminate and/or disable the tire pressure monitoring system in any passenger vehicle that is 2008 or newer"
The following users liked this post:
Eff A Ford (11-08-2016)
Old 06-15-2012, 02:43 PM
DTPDave
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Luke@tirerack
as federal law states "it is unlawful to eliminate and/or disable the tire pressure monitoring system in any passenger vehicle that is 2008 or newer"
car is a 2k. So I guess its Ok. But I'm sure the NO ONE on this site would remove any "unlawful" devices from their vehicle
Old 06-15-2012, 04:32 PM
0Luke@tirerack
Former Vendor

Received 148 Likes on 63 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Originally Posted by DTPDave
car is a 2k. So I guess its Ok. But I'm sure the NO ONE on this site would remove any "unlawful" devices from their vehicle
yes I am sure that every single member here who has a 76 or newer Vette still had catalytic converters on their car

my point was that a shop or dealership would not disable the system

Quick Reply: tpms delete kit