Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major TPMS Sensor Problem!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 07:48 PM
NORCALSTI
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major TPMS Sensor Problem!!!

I bought my farther new 3 piece wheels and in front we are fine but in rear on his 07 vette the new wheels we cannot use the stock tpms due to where the tire beads and size of the sensor.

The shop told me there is some sort of band i can use?? Does anyone have info on this band and can you reuse the stock sensor?

Thanks guys I just want to get my dad back on the road. This is a 07.

Last edited by NORCALSTI; 11-20-2010 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:42 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

What's normally used in this application is a very large "hose clamp", something that would be used in a heating/air condition duct application. For insurance, I'd also use a short piece of the 3M double sided tape that's used to hold air deflectors/sun shades in place. Tape the sensor in the "drop" in the center of the rim, then put the band clamp over the sensor.

On further thought, as I'm typing this, possibly Tire Rack sell the "bands", since they sell aftermarket wheels and sensors....
Old 11-21-2010, 02:44 PM
NORCALSTI
Intermediate

ok can i use my stock sensor and take off the valve stem section and just stick the plastic piece to the rim? I have a band allready and 3m tape but getting the sensor to sit flat on the rim the only way is to take off the valve stem and seeing if thats ok.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:09 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by NORCALSTI
ok can i use my stock sensor and take off the valve stem section and just stick the plastic piece to the rim? I have a band allready and 3m tape but getting the sensor to sit flat on the rim the only way is to take off the valve stem and seeing if thats ok.
That's kind of what you do, however you have to be careful, as the valve stem is also the sensor's "antenna", which sends the signal to the car's receiver. With my '01, the car's TPMS receiver is located in the LR of the hatch area, and when I had a set of aftermarket rims with the sensors "banded" in the front rims, and I cut down the valve stem, I had trouble with the receiver being able to pick up the signal from the RF tire.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:23 PM
NORCALSTI
Intermediate

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
That's kind of what you do, however you have to be careful, as the valve stem is also the sensor's "antenna", which sends the signal to the car's receiver. With my '01, the car's TPMS receiver is located in the LR of the hatch area, and when I had a set of aftermarket rims with the sensors "banded" in the front rims, and I cut down the valve stem, I had trouble with the receiver being able to pick up the signal from the RF tire.
what ill do is just cut a little off the ends and space it up off the wheel with a few 3m double sided strips.

Thanks again.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:58 AM
0Luke@tirerack
Former Vendor

Received 148 Likes on 63 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
On further thought, as I'm typing this, possibly Tire Rack sell the "bands", since they sell aftermarket wheels and sensors....
we do not sell the bands in question
Old 11-22-2010, 06:53 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Luke@tirerack
we do not sell the bands in question
I was pretty sure of that, Luke, but didn't I see at one time some sort of plastic band used on the aftermarket systems that had the sensor in the "drop" of the rim?

(or is my memory simply going to hell?)

Get notified of new replies

To Major TPMS Sensor Problem!!!

Quick Reply: Major TPMS Sensor Problem!!!