C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1965 emergency brake, photo's/diagrams needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 04:45 PM
fastrad
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 1965 emergency brake, photo's/diagrams needed

Working on my 65 parking brakes, previous owner took everything off. I need a photo or diagram of the e-cable going into the disk brake. Not sure of the hardware inside or the pivot point. Any photo’s or diagrams would be appreciated.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:17 PM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 97 Posts

Name:  photo708.jpg
Views: 5136
Size:  484.2 KB
The following users liked this post:
Weasel (07-18-2023)
Old 04-17-2016, 05:38 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by fastrad
Working on my 65 parking brakes, previous owner took everything off. I need a photo or diagram of the e-cable going into the disk brake. Not sure of the hardware inside or the pivot point. Any photo’s or diagrams would be appreciated.
If you bought quality parts....they should have come with a diagram and instruction on how to set up the adjuster wheel....because the adjuster wheel needs to be correctly positioned to be able to follow the instructions in a service manual.

Hopefully you also purchased the correct factory design woven steel cable housing for the rear cross-over parking brake cable because they hold up and provide maximum rigidity for the cable when the parking brake handle is pulled. Some of the aftermarket rear cross over cables have black housing which in some cases can fail due to its design. Also the correct cross over cable uses a unique wire clip to secure it that looks like 'Mickey Mouse' ears.

Posting good photos of what you currently have can allow us to give you some feedback. IF everything has been removed...there still should be at least ONE pin still installed for hold the parking brake shoe on each side. This pin is caged and the dust shield keeps it from coming out....unless some one has cut it off....which is WHY a photo is requested. This is so you do not start into it and come to find out that you have this problem....which I HAVE encountered MANY times.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
Weasel (07-18-2023)
Old 04-17-2016, 06:21 PM
fastrad
Instructor

Originally Posted by babbah
what does the actuating lever attach to? Thanks to all for the information will try and attach photo's tomorrow.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:31 PM
fastrad
Instructor

Originally Posted by DUB
If you bought quality parts....they should have come with a diagram and instruction on how to set up the adjuster wheel....because the adjuster wheel needs to be correctly positioned to be able to follow the instructions in a service manual.

Hopefully you also purchased the correct factory design woven steel cable housing for the rear cross-over parking brake cable because they hold up and provide maximum rigidity for the cable when the parking brake handle is pulled. Some of the aftermarket rear cross over cables have black housing which in some cases can fail due to its design. Also the correct cross over cable uses a unique wire clip to secure it that looks like 'Mickey Mouse' ears.

Posting good photos of what you currently have can allow us to give you some feedback. IF everything has been removed...there still should be at least ONE pin still installed for hold the parking brake shoe on each side. This pin is caged and the dust shield keeps it from coming out....unless some one has cut it off....which is WHY a photo is requested. This is so you do not start into it and come to find out that you have this problem....which I HAVE encountered MANY times.

DUB
Is it as simple as welding a new pin on or should I purchase a new backing plate? will try and add photo tomorrow, have reassembled but will look tomorrow...thank you

Last edited by fastrad; 04-17-2016 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:02 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

We just went thru a lengthy discussion and instruction with Ratdog and his 1967 car. The parking brakes are essentially the same.

Search under his name from a few weeks back, or simply scroll thru back forum pages a few weeks to perhaps a month back. A wealth of info was provided. DUB was a major contributor.

Larry

EDIT: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ake-cable.html

Last edited by Powershift; 04-17-2016 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:26 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 736 Likes on 456 Posts

The attached file might be of some help.
DZ
The following 2 users liked this post by DZVette:
1960 (02-25-2022), Weasel (07-18-2023)
Old 04-17-2016, 08:37 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by DZVette
DZ
Outstanding!!!

Larry
The following 2 users liked this post by Powershift:
1960 (02-25-2022), Weasel (07-18-2023)
Old 04-18-2016, 05:37 PM
fastrad
Instructor

Originally Posted by DZVette
DZ
thank you, great information!!
Old 04-19-2016, 12:02 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Powershift
We just went thru a lengthy discussion and instruction with Ratdog and his 1967 car. The parking brakes are essentially the same.

Search under his name from a few weeks back, or simply scroll thru back forum pages a few weeks to perhaps a month back. A wealth of info was provided. DUB was a major contributor.

Larry

EDIT: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ake-cable.html
Yes, read that thread and check out all the links and photos and you can't go wrong. These guys were great at holding my hand through this process. The job turned out great and I'm confident I could do it again.

Steve
Old 04-19-2016, 06:19 PM
DUB
Race Director

Is it as simple as welding a new pin on or should I purchase a new backing plate? will try and add photo tomorrow, have reassembled but will look tomorrow...thank you
AS you might know by now...the 'pin' is not welded on...it is a caged pin that is able to move freely.

Not knowing if you are all done with it or if you are going to post a photo or how it is going. I guess all is good.

DUB
Old 04-20-2016, 08:36 AM
fastrad
Instructor

Originally Posted by DUB
AS you might know by now...the 'pin' is not welded on...it is a caged pin that is able to move freely.

Not knowing if you are all done with it or if you are going to post a photo or how it is going. I guess all is good.

DUB
waiting on parts, pins were gone as stated. hope to receive parts today. I unbolted the backing plate and it appears to be room to slide pin in. will update and include photos as I go...thank you
Old 04-20-2016, 07:02 PM
DUB
Race Director

I have had to do this so YES...you can install a pin with the dust shield loosened.

DUB
Old 07-18-2023, 05:01 AM
Weasel
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

What a timely post. My 1965 coupe's previous owner took all the parts off too, leaving only the cable and handle. I was looking for a youtube video and was directed to this post. Thanks!
Old 07-18-2023, 08:39 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by Weasel
What a timely post. My 1965 coupe's previous owner took all the parts off too, leaving only the cable and handle. I was looking for a youtube video and was directed to this post. Thanks!
timely from seven years ago
Old 07-18-2023, 08:44 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
timely from seven years ago
But timely for him and his issue.

Take care,