C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] '61 Courtesy Light Is Always On

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 11:13 AM
johngammel
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist

Default '61 Courtesy Light Is Always On

Just buttoning things up and have found that the courtesy light is always on. Rotating the light switch doesn't affect it. Used a VOM and both door switches work. With the doors opened had each switch depressed and it's still on. It is a new LL harness and the feed wires are orange and white (although I wish they were a little longer).

Thoughts on where to look next?
Old 09-23-2016, 11:44 AM
MCMLXI
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts
Finalist 2022 C1 of the Year - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C1 of the Year Finalist
Finalist 2022 C1 of the Year - Unmodified

It is pretty easy to remove the door switches - that would be where I would start. Kevin
Old 09-23-2016, 11:48 AM
Tooth Doctor
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 201 Posts

The courtesy lights have power all the time, the door switch cuts the ground to make it go off and on. Seems like the lights are getting ground from somewhere other than the door switch. Trace the wiring, something is hooked up wrong.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:18 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 736 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Tooth Doctor
The courtesy lights have power all the time, the door switch cuts the ground to make it go off and on. Seems like the lights are getting ground from somewhere other than the door switch. Trace the wiring, something is hooked up wrong.
John

The courtesy light door switch connectors are shown on pgs. 3 & 4 of the attached PDF. They are black and Black/white for the '61 same as for the '60.

If you get the urge to dig into the switched the other PDF shows the inner workings.

I don't recall having trouble getting the orange and white wires to the courtesy light fixture in the dash when I redid our 60 with new LL harnesses but that was some time ago.

Maybe this will help a bit.

Dave Z
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
C1 Courtesy Lamp Door Switch.pdf (624.4 KB, 109 views)
The following users liked this post:
johngammel (09-23-2016)
Old 09-23-2016, 03:37 PM
johngammel
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

After looking at DZ's excellent documentation I retested the switches. With both switches out of the door the light does not illuminate. Turns out one of them is intermittent which I never found in my simplistic VOM testing. I think this is the source of the problem.

I'll could take both of them apart (they look very old) and inspect the innards. Or maybe I'll just give in to the "Corvette gods" and spend the medium bucks for two correct reproduction switches. It would be the pits to go somewhere and have the light on all day and run the battery down.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:52 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Check the gaskets under those switches for the proper thickness and confirm there is only ONE under each switch....don't ask me how I know this...
Old 09-25-2016, 01:57 PM
johngammel
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

They are original switches I believe but with new gaskets. I know that the lamp will stay on with the door "clicked" closed but not fully engaged. The difference isn't much in that plane so at the switch it's got to be very small. But one of them didn't VOM correctly 100% of the time on retest. If I have time I might take it apart but with this problem it might just be worn.

I just went out and the light didn't illuminate. Funny. So I rotated the button and now it works. Time for correct repro parts.

Get notified of new replies

To '61 Courtesy Light Is Always On

Quick Reply: [C1] '61 Courtesy Light Is Always On