Sponsored by:

chrome bumper ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 03:36 PM
pauls71stingray
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default chrome bumper ?

My bumpers are straight but the chrome is badly worn. Is it cheaper to re-chrome or replace? If re-chroming is the preferred option can anyone make a suggestion of a good place near Allentown Pa.?

Thanks, Paul
Old 12-16-2014, 04:25 PM
jhudec
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 129 Posts

Better to get them rechromed.
Aftermarket will not fit correctly.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:51 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Originally Posted by jhudec
Better to get them rechromed.
Aftermarket will not fit correctly.

Better, but not cheaper.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:26 PM
70Yellowbird
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Librandi's Plating, located in Middletown ... near Harrisburg, may be the closest to you.

They do quality work.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:18 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
I'll second the vote for Librandi.
They're adjacent to the Harrisburg airport on Airport Drive in Middletown.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 12-16-2014 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:21 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

It's pretty much a wash cost wise, but I'd say if you like the fit of your bumpers, then your better off getting them rechromed.

You can expect to pay at least $300 per bumper for chroming, while the good US made repro bumpers cost about $360 each.

Frankford Plating in Philadelphia, has been doing collector car plating for over 30 years. They do a lot of work for the restoration shops, in the Delaware Valley. They're right off of I-95, near the Betsy Ross Bridge. The number is 215-288-4518.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:43 PM
1974ta
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Frankford

Originally Posted by gbvette62
It's pretty much a wash cost wise, but I'd say if you like the fit of your bumpers, then your better off getting them rechromed.

You can expect to pay at least $300 per bumper for chroming, while the good US made repro bumpers cost about $360 each.

Frankford Plating in Philadelphia, has been doing collector car plating for over 30 years. They do a lot of work for the restoration shops, in the Delaware Valley. They're right off of I-95, near the Betsy Ross Bridge. The number is 215-288-4518.
I was very disappointed with Frankford on some smaller chrome parts.

I ultimately had Librandi's do the bumpers and they came out perfect.

I tried another shop and after ruining my original bumpers, they refunded my money and I had to find a good set of cores for Librandi's to plate.

This is not an area on which to go cheap IMHO.

Bill
Old 12-17-2014, 08:46 AM
EASYGEAR
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62

... while the good US made repro bumpers cost about $360 each.
i was always thinking there are only chinese ones available today, where can i find those, and is there any experience with them ?
Old 12-17-2014, 08:58 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

For a 'normal' street C3, it is less expensive (and less trouble) to purchase a new bumper. If you purchase one from a reputable supplier, it should last you many, many years.

If you NEED to keep yours as an 'original' factory bumper, have it rechromed. But, be aware: once you get the front bumper rechromed and see how good it looks, you will want to get the other chrome stuff redone, too.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:44 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

I had mine re-chromed at M&P refinishing in Jeanette , Pa. They did a great job and it has a lifetime warranty .I think it was a very reasonable price for everything at $1139. for show chrome.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:03 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi EG,
Check out the bumpers produced and sold by Paragon Reproductions.
You never know how new bumpers will fit until you mount them.
This is why if you're happy with the fit of your present bumpers, it's a good idea to have them re-chrome plated.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 12-17-2014 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:10 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default Paragon bumpers

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi EG,
This is why if you're happy with the fit of your present bumpers, it's a good idea to have them re-chrome plated.
Regards,
Alan
I thought I read somewhere that Paragon was getting their bumpers from a guy that somehow got the original dies from GM ??? and this guy was using these old original dies to still make reproductions that are available today???
Old 12-17-2014, 04:25 PM
EASYGEAR
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi EG,
Regards,
Alan
Thanks Alan, fitment may not be the main concern in that case, as that build is a conversion, there never have been chromeys on it before.
So there is chance to make the glass fit the bumpers, if anything.
I was more thinking of quality and look all together.

Though there is a lot of complains about todays far east produced spare parts, i also know this must not apply to any specific part from there.
On the other hand i think it is not guaranteed the western parts are always great.
On another place recently i have seen a replacement dash from Al Knoch, fitment can only be called extremely terrible (then again i don`t know where those are made)
Old 12-17-2014, 08:10 PM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 262 Likes on 209 Posts

some of the aftermarket bumpers seem to have a myth regarding fit. do your research. if you get your existing bumpers rechromed you have issues of how well it is done, how long it takes and how long you are in the work queue.. additional add on costs potential, plus shipping both ways and the months down time you will have.

i would find a good reputable vendor that will sell you guaranteed new ones and then sell your old ones. no downtime, no worry about shoddy work.. no surprises from the rechromer who will want extra money for this or that, no extra shipping, no sitting at the back of the shop for months at a time..... I wouldn't use a rechromer unless I absolutely had to.. i have heard lots of horror stories here regarding shoddy rechrome work.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:15 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

Hi EG,
Regards,
Alan
With C3's, particularly early C3's,..really talking 68's now, a lot of the front bumper chrome bits and pieces and the bumper didn't bit too well. But sticking to stock bumper parts, rechromed..is a safe procedure. There are repro front bumpers for C3 that don't fit...I have a very nice repro bumper that doesn't fit.

I recently had my 68 body extensively restored. The body shop rechromed my original front bumper (looked fine to me!) and then merged the body to match the bumper...They also broke loose the front clip and moved the inner finder wells etc to match the hood into the front. They also matched the door panels with the rear quarter panels and the convertible lid to be exact...from the factory there was gross miss-alignment. There were a lot of micro-cracks in the body, plus some fiberglass areas that had to be replaced due to oil contamination. Total cost was about $18,000, of which $3500 was for the paint and painting labor/materials. In the restoration process, parts of the body were ground out and replaced with bit splotches of fiberglass/resin, an occasional body blemish was just completely ground out. Their fiberglass guy did a fantastic job. All these initially ugly splots of fiberglass/resin were ground out extremely smooth. The body looks perfect, with a glass smooth uniform curving surface and no orange peel. Better than show room stock, even with remedial fiberglass repair.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:19 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 20mercury
I thought I read somewhere that Paragon was getting their bumpers from a guy that somehow got the original dies from GM ??? and this guy was using these old original dies to still make reproductions that are available today???
That's what I've read. If you buy a repro bumper, you really need one of these. I bought a bumper on ebay, and it didn't fit. It was a repro bumper probably made by someone other than Paragon..Chinese???
Old 12-17-2014, 11:24 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bj1k
I had mine re-chromed at M&P refinishing in Jeanette , Pa. They did a great job and it has a lifetime warranty .I think it was a very reasonable price for everything at $1139. for show chrome.
You had a front bumper rechromed for $1139? I had my 68 front bumper just rechromed here in SoCal for $350.00. This is an area where the EPA is really causing replating shops to incur great expenses.

I'd like to read more details about your $1139 show chrome replate. Maybe your chrome replate shop used shaped anodes/cathodes...which what a perfect rechrome job should use. .

Get notified of new replies

To chrome bumper ?

Old 12-18-2014, 12:37 PM
AkrHack
Drifting

Received 260 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
You had a front bumper rechromed for $1139? I had my 68 front bumper just rechromed here in SoCal for $350.00. This is an area where the EPA is really causing replating shops to incur great expenses.

I'd like to read more details about your $1139 show chrome replate. Maybe your chrome replate shop used shaped anodes/cathodes...which what a perfect rechrome job should use. .
I could be wrong, but my understanding of bj1k's post was that the $1139 paid was for all of the bumpers and related chrome on the car. If that is the case, $1139 isn't a bad price.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:46 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by AkrHack
I could be wrong, but my understanding of bj1k's post was that the $1139 paid was for all of the bumpers and related chrome on the car. If that is the case, $1139 isn't a bad price.
You are correct . I said $1139. for everything . That included the front bumper and both back bumpers and the turn around time was only 2- 1/2 weeks . Not many places that offer quality re-plating will get it done in that amount of time. Very nice people to deal with.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:21 PM
63vette427
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had my front bumper rechromed by Librandi's this past winter. It cost me around $300 for triple chrome show quality. They did a great job. It did take 8-10 weeks to get it complete but I had it done over the winter so I could care less about the time frame. It was well worth it to me to get my original one rechromed as I didn't have to worry about it fitting correctly..

Quick Reply: chrome bumper ?