Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Height issues on 74 C3 (im short)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 03:35 PM
drave199
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Height issues on 74 C3 (im short)

Im looking at a 1974 stingray. Honestly i have never sat in one before. I am concerned that i may have issues with seeing over the steering wheel. I am only 5'8" and maybe a half on a good day. I know that the seat will move forward and back so i don't think reaching the pedals will be an issue? This particular car doesn't have the TT steering wheel option on it (or power steering ). So i guess my question is are any of you as short as me and can give me some feedback if i will be alright? Has anyone ever had the seat customized to had a little more height to it?

Or because these seats will need to be re upholstered sometime in the near future, is there a way to maybe add extra height to it then (thicker foam)? Or any good direct replacement aftermarket seats out there?

Thanks.

Last edited by drave199; 02-26-2015 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:18 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Why not take the seller for a test drive in his/her 74? My better half is 5'6" and has no hesitation jumping behind the wheel of either of her two (71 and 96) and cruising all day.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:20 PM
drave199
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Why not take the seller for a test drive in his/her 74? My better half is 5'6" and has no hesitation jumping behind the wheel of either of her two (71 and 96) and cruising all day.
Well yes for sure i will do that, but i will be driving 12 hours to get it lol so it would be nice to have an idea before hand.

Last edited by drave199; 02-26-2015 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:40 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi d,
A new old 74 for you NICE! You must be pretty excited!
The slope of the backrest of the seat can be decreased by use of shims. In fact some shims came along with each car when new for that very purpose. That'll help you sit a bit more up-right.
Also the way the seat tracks are bolted to the underbody allows the tracks to be raised a bit too with shims and slightly longer seat mounting bolts.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan
Old 02-26-2015, 06:20 PM
73Reprise
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by drave199
Im looking at a 1974 stingray. Honestly i have never sat in one before. I am concerned that i may have issues with seeing over the steering wheel. I am only 5'8" and maybe a half on a good day. I know that the seat will move forward and back so i don't think reaching the pedals will be an issue? This particular car doesn't have the TT steering wheel option on it (or power steering ). So i guess my question is are any of you as short as me and can give me some feedback if i will be alright? Has anyone ever had the seat customized to had a little more height to it?

Or because these seats will need to be re upholstered sometime in the near future, is there a way to maybe add extra height to it then (thicker foam)? Or any good direct replacement aftermarket seats out there?

Thanks.
I am 5'7" and have a 73. As Alan71 posted, adding shims to seat back helps considerably. You definately will feel that you are sitting IN the car rather than ON it but you can see just fine. Since my son is 6'4", I won't be raising the seat.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:28 PM
chiefttp
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm 5'5" and no problems in my 81
Old 02-26-2015, 11:22 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

Manual steering, in my opinion, is not good. Fortunately converting to power steering is pretty easy and not too expensive.

With manual steering, parking requires a lot of arm strength. My 68 with a 16 inch steering wheel required a lot of muscle power. If you have a later year Corvette, you have smaller diameter steering wheel and even more muscle power is required. What did it for me was the thin metal spokes on the steering wheel. Hitting one of those parking curbs in a parking lot would cause the steering wheel to suddenly jerk and the metal spokes would hit my thumbs....talk about pain! After a few such incidents, I installed power steering. Be aware that early C3/GM power steering is not like power steering today. There's almost no (well OK maybe NO) road feed back. Under all driving conditions, you can steer the car with your little finger...including parking...no back pressure. My 08 Corvette takes a little arm power to hold it in a turn, not so with the 68.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:26 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

I wish I was 5'8"

I'm 5'5 and have no issue.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:22 AM
richard emmanuel
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default seat height

Originally Posted by ddawson
I wish I was 5'8"

I'm 5'5 and have no issue.
I am 5/7--I had no problem in mine for years, its a 77 by the way. It also has a hi rise custom Daytona hood. The previous owner used the shims as mentioned by others in the previous post. Also the long threaded screws can be screwed in or out to give you a lift effect. The one problem I did have was on long rides. The these cars as you know detect every road bump. As the old saying goes ride over a nickle and you can tell if its on heads or tails. I had my seats redone, padding, foam new leather, new springs and all. Still I ended up with the same uncomfortable ride. The solution was to go to a Fiero Seat. They bolted right on the track Mr Mike's makes a kit for the Corvette so check on his website. These seats also have a factory lumbar so on long trips these are very comfortable and the height is better too.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:24 AM
Bad Bird
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
Be aware that early C3/GM power steering is not like power steering today. There's almost no (well OK maybe NO) road feed back. Under all driving conditions, you can steer the car with your little finger...including parking...no back pressure.
Whilst I agree with you that it isn't the same as today's modern power steering, my '69 drives nothing like how you are describing your '68. Mine actually has a fair (not amazing, but not none) amount of road feedback,it offers only a fairly low amount of assist and it has great return-to-center. Maybe your car has the later (softer, 40 lb I think) springs installed in the power steering valve.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:30 AM
74Ken
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by richard emmanuel
I am 5/7--I had no problem in mine for years, its a 77 by the way. It also has a hi rise custom Daytona hood. The previous owner used the shims as mentioned by others in the previous post. Also the long threaded screws can be screwed in or out to give you a lift effect. The one problem I did have was on long rides. The these cars as you know detect every road bump. As the old saying goes ride over a nickle and you can tell if its on heads or tails. I had my seats redone, padding, foam new leather, new springs and all. Still I ended up with the same uncomfortable ride. The solution was to go to a Fiero Seat. They bolted right on the track Mr Mike's makes a kit for the Corvette so check on his website. These seats also have a factory lumbar so on long trips these are very comfortable and the height is better too.
I too am 5'8.5", but I am long in the torso.
The seat height will not be a problem for you. These cars have more of a problem for people over 5'10" in my opinion.
I swapped out my seats for Fiero seats also and love the newer comfort. These seats raise me up another 1" or so already and I have not gotten my Mr. Mike seats yet.

As for reaching the peddles, I have short legs and I still have the seat all the way back.

Ken

PS. Welcome to the 74 club...assuming you go thru with it,
Old 02-27-2015, 09:21 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

You should have no problem driving a Corvette. My wife is 5'6". When we got engaged in 79, I bought her a 74. She never had any trouble driving the car, and we didn't have to shim the seat or anything. I'm 6', and there were never issues with having enough seat adjustment for either of us.

Like most sports cars, being a little shorter, is actually an advantage. The people who have trouble driving old Corvettes, are those over 6 foot!
Old 02-27-2015, 06:22 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Some of the taller people have complained that when getting the seats re-done with new foams that they sit too high so I think when you have the seats re-done with the thicker foam it will probably be just right . I just had my seats done with new foams and covers and it really raised them up.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:55 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

I'm about the same height as you and I've been driving C3's for over 40 years and never had a problem.

However, it will take you a bit of time to get used to:

1.) having your *** 3" off the pavement;

2.) looking over the fender humps;

3.) figuring out when to stop so that you don't run the front end over tire stops, etc.

If the seat is angled back too far, you may have to install some washers or shims under the seat-back stops to get the seat-back in a more upright position. Tall drivers tend to remove them.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:09 PM
M A Fry
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

I'm 5'6" an have a '69 vert with no TT and have no problems at all. In fact when I first
got mine it had no PS as well and the only reason I have PS now is that I couldn't find
a non PS RHD r&p unit for my steering upgrade. The only time PS is really useful is when
your parking or stationary, other than that it is totally unnecessary.

Mark
Old 02-27-2015, 09:32 PM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

I am only 5'4" and I sit comfortable, but the nose length takes a little getting used to. I can see, but cautous how close I get to things when parking. I have taken a 12 hour road trip and enjoyed every minute of it.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:19 PM
drave199
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
Manual steering, in my opinion, is not good. Fortunately converting to power steering is pretty easy and not too expensive.

With manual steering, parking requires a lot of arm strength. My 68 with a 16 inch steering wheel required a lot of muscle power. If you have a later year Corvette, you have smaller diameter steering wheel and even more muscle power is required. What did it for me was the thin metal spokes on the steering wheel. Hitting one of those parking curbs in a parking lot would cause the steering wheel to suddenly jerk and the metal spokes would hit my thumbs....talk about pain! After a few such incidents, I installed power steering. Be aware that early C3/GM power steering is not like power steering today. There's almost no (well OK maybe NO) road feed back. Under all driving conditions, you can steer the car with your little finger...including parking...no back pressure. My 08 Corvette takes a little arm power to hold it in a turn, not so with the 68.
Im confused here. So manual steering is bad? AND Early year Gm power steering is bad? So what am to do? haha

Get notified of new replies

To Height issues on 74 C3 (im short)

Old 02-28-2015, 03:30 PM
drave199
Heel & Toe

Thanks everyone for your comments. I didnt get any notifications so i thought this thread was a dud.

All of your feedback has eased my mind, thanks.

Turns out this is pretty much a base model. Doesn't have power breaks either. Which i am told isn't really that big a deal either. Does have disk brakes all the way around.

Unless something goes wrong i will have it in garage Monday night.

Last edited by drave199; 02-28-2015 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:22 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm 5'7" and was really surprised how high up the seating position in my '81 was. But I'm used to driving C4,5,6, and 7s at work.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:42 AM
Brother Rob
Instructor

You're not that short. Average male height in America is 5'10"

I'm 5'4" and seriously wonder how taller people even fit into a Vette.

Quick Reply: Height issues on 74 C3 (im short)