Sponsored by:

C3 Return to the Road

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 11:14 AM
ugly85chevy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C3 Return to the Road

I picked up a '79 with 61Kmi for $3500. It needs work. Supposedly it had been in a barn for 20 years, of course the owner claimed it had an L82 too. I'll get as many pics up as I can. It ran when I got it, though not good.
1. First thing was to replace the gas and install new plugs, wires, cap & rotor. It runs much better now. At least good enough to get it under cover. I am getting some backfiring when starting, actually shooting a 12 in flame out of the carburetor; timing or a valve issue?
2. Second step will be fluids and filters.
3. Brakes. The brake pedal goes straight to the floor. The reservoir is empty. I'd like to rebuild the calipers and master cylinder, and replace the brake lines where necessary. Any suggestions where to source parts?
4. Take it for a spin and check things out then address any remaining mechanical issues. I know there is some rust, I'll have to evaluate that as time goes on, hopefully no major nightmares.
5. Headers & pipes. There are some cracks or rust through on the headers. I'm hoping I can get them off and repair them then reinstall. Worst case I simply replace them with new. I'm thinking about wrapping them to keep things a little cooler under the hood, therefore cooler in the cockpit.
6. The interior needs to be redone. Changing from the rotting red to black with red accents most likely although beige might help it stay cooler.
7. When everything else is done, paint and wheels.
Attached Images  
Old 09-11-2015, 11:23 AM
ggroller
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Always glad to see another old Vette brought back to life.

Good luck to you.
The following users liked this post:
ugly85chevy (09-11-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 11:37 AM
teamo
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts

I bought most of my brake rebuilding components from Corvette Central. They actually were sent by VB&P (Vette Brakes and Products). The next order I had to put in for the remaining parts I just went directly to them. Most of the big vendors are pretty close in price for the caliper and master cylinder rebuild kits and they all come from just a few suppliers.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:40 AM
Tooonz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

That's an ambitious list, but Then again we were in your shoes a couple of years ago. When it comes to brakes there are a LOT of great info on this site. I ordered new calipers from NAPA. they were rebuilds of the originals. I'm not happy with the original design at all. replace all the rubber lines if you can, new master cylinder if it's in your budget. Great find, price was right. We paid 3300.00. $2500 would have been better but it's getting harder to find these cars much lower.

Congrats from another 79'er
Old 09-11-2015, 11:44 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by ugly85chevy
I picked up a '79 with 61Kmi for $3500. It needs work. Supposedly it had been in a barn for 20 years, of course the owner claimed it had an L82 too. I'll get as many pics up as I can. It ran when I got it, though not good.
1. First thing was to replace the gas and install new plugs, wires, cap & rotor. It runs much better now. At least good enough to get it under cover. I am getting some backfiring when starting, actually shooting a 12 in flame out of the carburetor; timing or a valve issue?
2. Second step will be fluids and filters.
3. Brakes. The brake pedal goes straight to the floor. The reservoir is empty. I'd like to rebuild the calipers and master cylinder, and replace the brake lines where necessary. Any suggestions where to source parts?
4. Take it for a spin and check things out then address any remaining mechanical issues. I know there is some rust, I'll have to evaluate that as time goes on, hopefully no major nightmares.
5. Headers & pipes. There are some cracks or rust through on the headers. I'm hoping I can get them off and repair them then reinstall. Worst case I simply replace them with new. I'm thinking about wrapping them to keep things a little cooler under the hood, therefore cooler in the cockpit.
6. The interior needs to be redone. Changing from the rotting red to black with red accents most likely although beige might help it stay cooler.
7. When everything else is done, paint and wheels.
Be careful with the 12 inch flame coming out of the carb. Do a search for pictures of what is left of corvettes that played with fire. Different outcome than with metal cars.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:12 PM
ugly85chevy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bj1k
Be careful with the 12 inch flame coming out of the carb. Do a search for pictures of what is left of corvettes that played with fire. Different outcome than with metal cars.
Thanks.. Still working with the hood up. Hopefully as things loosen up that situation will get better. I already roasted the foam Edlebrock aircleaner that was on it... ooops.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:52 AM
ugly85chevy
Intermediate

So it looks like the headers and pipes may be moving up on the priority list. It looks like there are more severe leaks than I originally thought. I wonder if they are worth repairing or if I should just replace with new. Does anyone know if headers are compatible between the L48 and L82? That will affect my decision.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:26 PM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 343 Likes on 250 Posts

Yes headers are the same. I'd just replace them if I was you. I would stay away from the hedman elites though, I have those on and had some troubles on both sides.
ugly85chevy (09-15-2015)
Old 09-14-2015, 12:34 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

Willcox is a great parts source as well as technical source, he gives forum discounts too. I wouldn't buy a stick of gum from Ecklers, they are a bunch of jerks and ripoffs so stay away from them...
ugly85chevy (09-15-2015)
Old 10-03-2015, 12:53 PM
ugly85chevy
Intermediate

Ok it looks like step 2 is getting brakes on this thing. I'm afraid to move it again without brakes. I pulled off the master cylinder cover and it is dry and cruddy. I think I may just replace it with a rebuilt unit rather than try to rebuild myself. I need to get underneath and inspect the brake lines. Any recommendations on should I bend my own if I need to replace or is it possible to get custom cut and bent lines?
Old 10-03-2015, 01:21 PM
Jud Chapin
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I pulled off the master cylinder cover and it is dry and cruddy. I think I may just replace it with a rebuilt unit rather than try to rebuild myself.
That's probably the best bet. If the car's been sitting around, there's a good chance the cylinder is corroded. M/C's are not expensive. Good luck.
Old 10-03-2015, 01:27 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi u,
There are reproduction brake lines available for all the various lines needed. Some (the shorter lines) are easy to replace… but replacing the long line with a one piece line (as original) with the body in place takes a LOT of creativity.
Regards,
Alan
Old 10-05-2015, 09:10 AM
ugly85chevy
Intermediate

I picked up a refurbished master cylinder. I plan to clean and paint it before installing so it doesn't get so rusty. I'm wondering if I should consider rebuilding the calipers or just replace them and how does one tell if they are good candidates for home rebuild?
Old 10-05-2015, 09:52 AM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

I picked up a refurbished master cylinder. I plan to clean and paint it before installing so it doesn't get so rusty. I'm wondering if I should consider rebuilding the calipers or just replace them and how does one tell if they are good candidates for home rebuild?
I replaced my front calipers with NAPA lifetime warranty calipers, not too sure it was a completely wise move as a year later I had to replace one of them, free of course
Old 10-05-2015, 06:39 PM
Sluefoot
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

I also used NAPA life. warranty rotors, calipers, & pads....along w/ all the other brake parts in the rear...including replacing the entire park brake parts, which I wouldn't
be without!
Old 12-07-2015, 11:55 AM
ugly85chevy
Intermediate

I've been slowly working on getting the headers off. Soaking bolts with PB-Blaster and pleasantly surprised that they are coming out. Dip stick is in the way but I may cut a section out of the header mounting plate if I cannot get it out.
I started pulling apart interior. I've got some rust pitting on floor but it still seems solid. I'll hit it with a wire wheel and some paint. The doors are near perfect almost no rust.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:01 PM
KYC4
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 39 Posts

Good to hear you are moving forward and making progress! Got any pics to share?

Later,

Lee

Get notified of new replies

To C3 Return to the Road

Old 12-07-2015, 01:48 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default Brakes

I always first focus on brakes and steering. I would pull one of the calipers off and open to determine if they have been sleeved in stainless steel. If so, then you can rebuild them yourself with new seals, pistons etc. Consider using an O-ring set-up which you can purchase for about $150. Good luck. Jerry
ugly85chevy (12-14-2015)
Old 12-07-2015, 07:45 PM
M A Fry
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Don't forget the rubber o' rings on the wheels. If the car has been sitting for 20yrs the
tyres will be rotten.

Mark
Old 12-14-2015, 11:09 AM
ugly85chevy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by M A Fry
Don't forget the rubber o' rings on the wheels. If the car has been sitting for 20yrs the
tyres will be rotten.

Mark
Ah yeah, good advice but that is one thing the previous owner did is put on new tires. Just a couple years old according to the date code and no wear. Gonna clean and paint the rims then remount with white letters out.

Quick Reply: C3 Return to the Road