C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would seriously appreciate your thoughts...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 07:09 AM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by paul 74
Get rid of the Corvette. A used Toyota Corolla is what you need. Sorry to be so blunt.
^^This^^
Buy another Corvette when it makes sense to do after your life is back in order.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:47 AM
CPTCroaker
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Wee
If your apartment complex doesn't have covered parking, you need sell the vette....2-4 K wouldn't even fix the birdcage rust issues much less paint it....No one wants to work on them cause they are a PITA to work on but that goes for just about any 40 year car.

Brian

I have to agree with Brian and a lot of the other posts. I am having some birdcage repairs done to my car in conjunction with a lot of other work and would estimate that just the rust repair cost me about $5k. It is costing me less because everything else is already being removed as part of the initial process. Most estimates I heard from forum members with near the $10k mark and it could be more.

You could keep the car if you really wanted too but with everything else going on I think this vehicle could add a lot of unneeded stress to your life. Car could be fine, but it might not be and you need to ask yourself if you can really afford to keep it right now. Additionally if it stays outside in the elements it will just get worse and lose more value. Post some pics of the area behind the kick panels and people can give you some more feedback on its condition.

Ultimately I would recommend you either move it to dry storage or sell it. Use your current funds get something more reliable and then come back stronger down the road.
The following users liked this post:
wcgreen (12-08-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 07:50 AM
pigfarmer
Burning Brakes

Received 295 Likes on 158 Posts

Sorry to hear about everything and I can sympathize. The world is in absolutely no danger of running out of Corvettes in the next few years. Get rid of it. These things are money pits even under the best of circumstances.

At the risk of sounding trite, things really do get better.
wcgreen (12-08-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 08:58 AM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 262 Likes on 209 Posts

i am somewhat of a pessimist when it comes to rookies buying corvettes and later asking for help regarding rust. I did the same thing, but got lucky and broke even after owning the rust bucket for 14 years.. so lots of folks make the same mistake.
you have received good advice regarding selling the car and wait for future positives in order to get a better one.

one's first classic car is usually a big learning experience and a headache to boot...

the first thing you need to do it get some money in the bank for your future.. classic cars are for those that can afford it.. not for those that have nothing but.. if you don't know how to work on it, then it is a formula for failure and will constantly keep you from getting ahead by giving all your money to mechanics, not to mention the downtime, and shoddy repairs... you won't own the car.. it will own you.

when a 39 year old car is leaking at the windshield area, it is a sure sign that there is extensive damage in the windshield frame, birdcage and frame. sure, you can throw a couple of tubes of caulk at it, but a correct repair will cost more than the car is worth.
wcgreen (12-08-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 11:56 AM
wcgreen
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

Thanks for all the advice, either way. Wanted to post an update. Will pull the kick panels later today to take pics. I DO have access to covered parking at my apt. and at school. I was going to move to a house with a garage when my wife joined me, but that will not be happening. So, I have covered parking for another year and a half.

I went out just now, and took a flashlight. It's very dark in there so I wanted to get a good look at the outside, through the glass, down the rails to the dash, and a the top of the frame, looking at that thin gap that is visible.

All the way down both sides and into the corners of the dash, it is smooth, black and clean. At the very top, the glass is rusty and hazy. This is just from a few inches in from the corner of each side, and across the middle.

Will pull the kick panels later to get a look. If this is any indicator, I am hoping they are clean.

Does this change any opinions?

Thanks again!
B
Old 12-07-2016, 12:33 PM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoomin
That's the way they do things in AL.

OP, unless you can bicycle everywhere you need to go, then you might have a plan because your car is going to be out of commission for a year or more. Second, 5k is not going to get you very far in getting this done.

My advice is to sell the car and buy a nice little Toyota that isn't going to leech every dime you have. After you graduate and have a real job then buy another car then.
Originally Posted by paul 74
Get rid of the Corvette. A used Toyota Corolla is what you need. Sorry to be so blunt.
Originally Posted by MajD
these old Corvettes were never designed to last 30+ years. Wiring, vacuum lines, bushings, body mounts, suspension components, weather stripping, etc. all eventually require attention. Most C3 corvettes I'm familiar with require regular infusions of cash unless they've been restored.

..put it in "dry dock" and work on it as the funds are available and use the money you were going to spend on the car to purchase a daily driver.

MajD
Originally Posted by CPTCroaker
Ultimately I would recommend you either move it to dry storage or sell it. Use your current funds get something more reliable and then come back stronger down the road.
Originally Posted by pigfarmer
Sorry to hear about everything and I can sympathize. The world is in absolutely no danger of running out of Corvettes in the next few years. Get rid of it. These things are money pits even under the best of circumstances.

At the risk of sounding trite, things really do get better.
Notice a trend here? You don't need a money pit C3 with a bad birdcage in your situation. Go get a used honda, toyota, etc. with your $5k that will be reliable for years to come with minimal maintenance.

As recommended before - you NEED to pull the kick panels off. Take some pics and post here. Unfortunately, based on your description, I think most of us know what to expect, and its not going to be good.

Not trying to be debbie-downer, but the last thing you need is more "bad things" and mishaps. Once you spend your $5k to repair the winsdshield frame, what happens when the trailing arm bushings go bad, or the rear wheel bearings (on these cars is $$$ & time!!) Just sayin'

Good luck.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:53 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

It is possible that when a replacement windshield was installed, it was not shimmed correctly and a gap was left that should not be there. That would allow the water to get into the windshield frame area and into the interior. Obviously, if that is the case, the windshield frame would be rusted...the extent of which is unknown, except for the pieces of rust coming in with the water.

You could have a windshield installer (ie, Safelight Auto Glass) come to re-install your existing windshield properly, in hopes that a good install would reseal everything. That would be another 'fingers crossed' action, and success may not be the outcome. But, success is at least possible. You would need to call and fully explain the circumstances (the car, not your personal issues) and your expectations. And, it might cost you about as much as if you got a new windshield installed. If this is successful at sealing the birdcage and interior, it would allow you to keep using the car as your daily driver.

P.S. It is not uncommon for a glass replacement company to install the C3 windshield improperly. There are special spacers required to position the glass properly; and there are seals in the stainless steel exterior covers that need to be replaced/repaired when that job is properly done. Make sure you discuss those needs with whoever is contracted to do that work.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 12-07-2016 at 12:56 PM.
wcgreen (12-08-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 12:57 PM
wcgreen
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
It is possible that when a replacement windshield was installed, it was not shimmed correctly and a gap was left that should not be there. That would allow the water to get into the windshield frame area and into the interior. Obviously, if that is the case, the windshield frame would be rusted...the extent of which is unknown, except for the pieces of rust coming in with the water.

You could have a windshield installer (ie, Safelight Auto Glass) come to re-install your existing windshield properly, in hopes that a good install would reseal everything. That would be another 'fingers crossed' action, and success may not be the outcome. But, success is at least possible. You would need to call and fully explain the circumstances (the car, not your personal issues) and your expectations. And, it might cost you about as much as if you got a new windshield installed. If this is successful at sealing the birdcage and interior, it would allow you to keep using the car as your daily driver.

P.S. It is not uncommon for a glass replacement company to install the C3 windshield improperly. There are special spacers required to position the glass properly; and there are seals in the stainless steel exterior covers that need to be replaced/repaired when that job is properly done. Make sure you discuss those needs with whoever is contracted to do that work.
Hey! Thanks... I will definitely look into this.
Billy
Old 12-07-2016, 02:43 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

This what we are worried about.

wcgreen (12-08-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 03:28 PM
wcgreen
Intermediate

Default Update

OK- removed the kick panels and door sill trim. It appears worse to me in the picks than viewing. What you see is either surface rust or loose bits on both sides. The areas show are all solid and no holes. Tapped it well... majority of stuff has fallen from above clearly. As I said before, I took a flashlight and followed all down the exterior looking and the metal you see through the glass on the pillars is black and no visible rust. You only see some rust fogging the glass at the center top and going to each top corner. So, thoughts?

host image online
free upload pictures
Old 12-07-2016, 04:02 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 718 Likes on 518 Posts

Can you afford to buy a cheap daily driver and keep the 'Vette for nice weekends? You are single now, it's a lot easier for a 52 year old man to pick up women in a 'Vette than a Toyota...That's why I got mine.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:06 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Billy,
Quite a tale of woe!
Putting what you describe as your last $5000 in a 37 year old NEEDY car doesn't make much sense.
I agree that using that money to buy a car that you can depend on DAILY might be the first step in getting your life under control.
It seems to me that this would be the adult decision!
Sorry!
Regards,
Alan
Old 12-07-2016, 04:16 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Richard Daugird
...it's a lot easier for a 52 year old man to pick up women in a 'Vette than a Toyota...That's why I got mine...
Has it worked?
Richard Daugird (12-07-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 05:24 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 718 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Has it worked?
Not yet, my helpers spent three months of spare time painting the car, then threw a rod on the way to bring the car back! I got the block back from the machine shop yesterday, gonna start assembly tonight.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:54 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,414 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

In 2008 my airline pilot career came to an end with the collapse of DHL in the U.S., that major collapse in my life resulted in a divorce from wife of 25 years. I had just bought my first Corvette, after a long life of wanting one. On my birthday of that year, I watched as the guy I sold the project to drive away with the car on a flatbed. The following year and a half were a further spiral decline in my life.

Eight years has passed since then. I have a new wife, a new career in aviation that is more secure than flying airplanes, and I have bought and restored my 77 Corvette.

Life can turn, and you just have to keep trying, but sometimes you have to take a step back before you can move forward, AND believe that better things can happen. They did for me, and I never believed it would happen till it did. Consider that.
wcgreen (12-08-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 09:47 PM
Franks73
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like you have a lot of challenges to deal with. I think you are an intelligent mature individual, able to get over these hurdles. You are on a tight budget, working on your degree, living in an apartment, going through a divorce. I understand your love of the C3 Vette. What a beautiful car! My favorite! But a 40 y/o Vette, is like a high maintenance mistress. Fun on a sat night, and needs her own apartment. Let this one go. Get your degree, a simple reliable mode of transportation, put the divorce behind you. Hope you get a job you enjoy, get a house with a garage, and study Vettes! Good Luck Sir!
wcgreen (12-08-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 10:35 PM
wcgreen
Intermediate

I appreciate all the thoughts and input. There is a shop inMobile where I am from- they did my brother in law's frame off resto of an old Ford pickup. Just did a Vette this year. They are gonna look it over for me over the holidays if I take it down. Their thoughta are the same- sell it if it's as bad as they think- question? Can you find a C3 in this kind of mechanical and cosmetic shape with no birdcage rust for 10k? If so- lots of searching or common? Im just worried it will be tough to sell this one as Thera no title now that AL doesn't title vehicles this old.

Get notified of new replies

To Would seriously appreciate your thoughts...

Old 12-07-2016, 10:42 PM
Wee
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 237 Posts

Trade it at a "buy here pay here lot" for something more dependable.

Brian
Old 12-08-2016, 12:27 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

You will have no trouble selling it in Alabama. Having no title for a car is common down there.

The kickpanels don't look as bad as I expected them to be. However, if the car was not regularly garaged...and it allowed water to get into the birdcage area often, the windshield frame could be "toast". Nice that you have some folks that can check that out for you. Since they will need to remove the SS fascia moldings off the w/s frame to look at its condition, could they arrange to properly re-install the windshield at that time? Even if the damage is more than you are willing to accept, having the w/s installed correctly will prevent water from getting into the birdcage and the interior, and it will be much easier to sell. And, if the damage is NOT too bad, that may just allow you to continue using it as your daily driver.
wcgreen (12-08-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 01:06 AM
wcgreen
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
You will have no trouble selling it in Alabama. Having no title for a car is common down there.

The kickpanels don't look as bad as I expected them to be. However, if the car was not regularly garaged...and it allowed water to get into the birdcage area often, the windshield frame could be "toast". Nice that you have some folks that can check that out for you. Since they will need to remove the SS fascia moldings off the w/s frame to look at its condition, could they arrange to properly re-install the windshield at that time? Even if the damage is more than you are willing to accept, having the w/s installed correctly will prevent water from getting into the birdcage and the interior, and it will be much easier to sell. And, if the damage is NOT too bad, that may just allow you to continue using it as your daily driver.
I am told the car was always garaged. Guy purchased it in '81 for his wife and he drove a '79. They kept them and garaged them around '96 and stopped driving them. Elderly well off couple. Guy I got the car from knew them through his elderly dad and they bought the pair from them last year. From what I'm told, they sat since '96 and were always garaged. When I got it, it had 68k, number matching, never rebuilt.

Last edited by wcgreen; 12-08-2016 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Spellig

Quick Reply: Would seriously appreciate your thoughts...