C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Differential Rebuild Paper

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 11:03 AM
claysmoker
Race Director

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by finally kool
I recently had my ring and pinion gear replaced...I don't think he lubed the posi clutches,Can the rear diff clutches be oiled/lubed separatly with out going thru a complicated rebuild...?
No worries. The diff oil works its way in.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:01 AM
finally kool
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replace clutches

Originally Posted by claysmoker
No worries. The diff oil works its way in.
Hello Claysmoker...Can the clutches be replaced w/o removing ring and pinion...? approx how long does it take for a competent mechanic...to replace clutches...?
Old 06-10-2016, 10:08 AM
claysmoker
Race Director

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11-'12-'13-'14

Hello Claysmoker...Can the clutches be replaced w/o removing ring and pinion...? approx how long does it take for a competent mechanic...to replace clutches...?
Nope. The diff needs to be completely disassembled. If the rear end need to be rebuilt, contact Tracdogg or GTR1999 here on the forum. Either can help with your diff. Don't trust this to your average mechanic. Some can do the job, but many can't even though they think they can.

Good Luck!

Oh by the way, the original thread is from 2009. Best to just start a new thread for yourself if the original is that old. You'll get better response.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:43 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 717 Likes on 517 Posts

Jeremy should wright instruction manuals. I have not read all of this yet, but I will be someday when I need to do my rear diff. I wish he would do one showing how to change out the power window motors, adjust the shifter, etc. etc.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:50 PM
tracdogg2
Drifting

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

At the very least the stub axles and carrier must be removed. The clutches can be done with a 3.08 gear(still very hard) but not with 3.36, 3.55, etc.
Mike
Old 06-10-2016, 10:05 PM
finally kool
Cruising

tanks
Old 10-09-2019, 10:12 PM
Chalie M
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts

Default Differential rebuild paper

Someone please set me straight I always thought (tech school) & back in the dealership days did some 10/12bolts & one 9” on my race car back in the day, we should shoot for a pattern more in the center. When I see your end result it looks to be low into the toe to middle.
I mean no disrespect to the young mans work or to his teachers (again I’m not being a wise guy, please, just OCD as well).. I’m thinking about doing my C2 because of a banging i get around turns & sometimes when its cold backing down my driveway.
I was able to eliminate the noise on turns after adding GM additive & doing numerous figure 8’s, but still have a slight rumble when backing down my driveway cold?
Thanks again appreciate all the info especially on the seating of the cap’s, I was never taught to checked for that & till this day I don’t hear anyone talk about setting of the caps or internal axle end play? Just backlash, pinion in. Lb. preload & pattern ? I’m learning a lot but please set me straight on the middle of the pattern target ?
Thanks again for all your hard work
Chalie
Old 10-11-2019, 04:10 AM
DorianC3
Melting Slicks

Received 354 Likes on 265 Posts

Thank you for taking the time to do this

Unbelievably valuable.
Old 04-11-2024, 06:07 AM
Budd-C3
2nd Gear

Default Question re end-play

Amazing work, thank you.
When finished, how much axial end-play is acceptable in the side yoke?
Old 04-11-2024, 08:18 AM
Piersonpie
Instructor

Received 106 Likes on 45 Posts

A quote from Gary from a different thread:
Originally Posted by GTR1999
A lot of new owners of 63-79's find out one way or another about axle end play soon enough. Now to be clear, the differential has inner axles but many call them side yokes- same thing. If the endplay is more then 040" on a used differential you should check into the reason for the endplay. If you have a newly rebuilt differential and the endplay is over 010" I would certainly question it. There is no spec that I am aware of for the axle end play but I set mine up to 005-007 but up to 010 is ok.

Last edited by Piersonpie; 04-11-2024 at 07:16 PM.
Old 04-11-2024, 08:30 AM
Budd-C3
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Piersonpie
A quote from Gary from a different thread:

The OP of this thread hasn’t been active on the forum in months. If you have any more questions consider starting a new thread.
thanks, when you say 010 is that 10 mm?
Old 04-11-2024, 10:21 AM
leigh1322
Old Pro Solo Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,480 Likes on 1,588 Posts

.005" min to .007" to .009" max
Those are Gray's "blueprint" numbers.
Some used rears with shot axles can be up to .250" and that you can definately feel while you are driving as the rear suspension shifts!

I followed Gary's entire diff procedure, as well outlined here, and it took a lot of hours! 100? maybe 150? But at least I know it was done well, And Gary even watched over my "shoulder" and agreed. And Jeremy did a much better job of documenting this than I did. This high performance rebuild way is much better and stronger than a typical "rebuilt" diff which is done in a couple of hours. This procedure would cost $thousands if you had to pay someone to do it. I even sort-of "enjoyed" doing it myself, well the satisfaction anyway. I found four cracked used posi housing along the way before I found a good one. I even went farther and cryo treated my carrier housing. Total parts outlay for me was around $900. Hopefully it will put up with a strong BB for a while. I do not plan on ever doing this again!

My Diff Thread: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...iff-build.html

THIS CAN BE DONE AT HOME

IF you are motivated enough.
and
IF you are patient enough.

Last edited by leigh1322; 04-11-2024 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-11-2024, 11:49 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,338 Posts

16 year old thread.
The kid did a good job but hard to tell a story from one build since many are in various conditions to start from.
Some of the parts available then are gone now. Prices have tripled since then. Some of the people mentioned in this thread are of dubious character or for lack of a better word conmen.
Tuning a posi is time consuming and most won’t get it right. I have coached a lot of people how to do tuning but I have backed off on a lot of that. I certainly support those that I work with but if you want to know all the details of how to custom build a vette diff you should check with those who sold you the parts.
The spiders shown here, the gears shown here, are long gone today.
Some of the replacements sold today are not as good, some are ok
as
As with anything today you better do your research before buying anything or you may end up with expensive junk.
maybe it’s time to close this thread or revise it with current information

Last edited by GTR1999; 04-11-2024 at 08:41 PM.

Quick Reply: My Differential Rebuild Paper