C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can firing order be changed

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 01:53 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Can firing order be changed

Can the 18436572 firing order to be changed for the ignition on our small block engines? If so I wonder how the engine would sound.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:09 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldguard 7
Can the 18436572 firing order to be changed for the ignition on our small block engines? If so I wonder how the engine would sound.
With a cam change. The 4-7 swap is common.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:19 PM
TheFinn
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Comp Cams offers 4&7 firing-order swap cams. The ones they list tend to be for oval track/drag race purposes, such as 12-823-14, but to my understanding they can custom grind just about anything.

It sounds like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R578A9_kXOE

V-P's car in above link also has 180 degree headers.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:21 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

4-7 swap cams only tend to show power increases in highly tuned single plane intake manifold applications.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:30 PM
ZL1powr
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As expressed by others you have to change the cam to change the firing order. Your options are to swap 4 and 7 and to swap 2 and 3. As allready stated the 4,7 swap is prety common. Less common is the 4,7 and 2,3 swap. The advantage of the latter is suposidly less stress on the crank and lower harmonics. The GM LS engins use the 4,7 and 2,3 swap firing order. The 433 BB in the "blown 65 sound clip" in my signature is a 4,7 swap and 565 in the "565 chasis dyno video" is a 4,7 and 2,3 swap (same as LS engines).
Old 03-07-2010, 10:52 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

FWIW, I'll be going with a 4/7 swap (1-8-7-3-6-5-4-2) custom grind from Comp on the BB I currently have in the works myself, however, it's more for the crank's sake than for any potential performance gain.

TheFinn is correct about CompCams doing nearly any custom grind you desire. If you don't see the cam you're looking for on their main menu, check with them directly to see if they have a suitable core that will fit your needs. (As ZL1powr has noted, you'll more likely be able to do a 4/7 than a 4/7 + 2/3.) That said, I suggest sticking with lobes already in their library and, tho one might well tweak the LSA and/or advance, in the case of dual pattern cams to stay with lobe combinations typically used together.

Last edited by TheSkunkWorks; 03-07-2010 at 10:54 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:27 PM
skaping
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will not sound different. No matter the firing order 1 firing pulse every 90 deg crankshaft rotation. Like the other guys said, the only practical reason to do this is for crankshaft longevity. GM changed the firing order in later engines to reduce crankshaft torsional stresses.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:14 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by skaping
It will not sound different. No matter the firing order 1 firing pulse every 90 deg crankshaft rotation. Like the other guys said, the only practical reason to do this is for crankshaft longevity. GM changed the firing order in later engines to reduce crankshaft torsional stresses.
While theory suggests 4/7 swap shouldn't sound different, practice has shown otherwise.

Regional circle track rules prohibit 4/7 swap cams. Some of the more experienced tech guys (track inspectors) can & have identified likely cam cheat suspects via exhaust note. Corroboration usually achieved as simply as taking a look at distributor cap & the order plug wires are arranged in. Protest monies ($teardown$) will verify; seldom occurs 'though 'cuz it's lots cheaper to simply accept being tossed as DNF. Yes, with open exhausts, a savvy tech guy can hear the difference.

True, there're "cheater caps" too that re-arrange wire order ... but those are known too ... & one peek beneath it & it's definately over.

*everything on internet's suspect; including the very words I just wrote.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:31 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

13456278..is possible also....if you want it to spin counter clockwise!....
Old 03-08-2010, 01:37 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,926 Likes on 1,931 Posts

I'm running a 4-7 swap in my latest engine (407), and you can hear the difference - no question about it. It doesn't sound like a SBC anymore. I'm also running a single plane intake and I used 28 pulls on the dyno to fine-tune and optimize everything from cam timing, ignition timing, intake plenum volume, to carb sizing and jetting.

Lars
Old 03-08-2010, 01:58 PM
TheFinn
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To my old and untrained ears the swapped firing order-engines sound like they are more busy ie. less lumpy boat anchor like. And I like it.

With these swapped firing orders in a street engine what do you get? Numbers about the same? Rev easier? Tq move up or down rpm scale?
Old 03-08-2010, 02:15 PM
southern_vette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah you can spin the motor backwards, ask me how i know this on a boat motor rebuild. But on your car you could do about 150 in reverse...
Old 03-08-2010, 06:35 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
FWIW, I'll be going with a 4/7 swap (1-8-7-3-6-5-4-2) custom grind from Comp on the BB I currently have in the works myself, however, it's more for the crank's sake than for any potential performance gain.

TheFinn is correct about CompCams doing nearly any custom grind you desire. If you don't see the cam you're looking for on their main menu, check with them directly to see if they have a suitable core that will fit your needs. (As ZL1powr has noted, you'll more likely be able to do a 4/7 than a 4/7 + 2/3.) That said, I suggest sticking with lobes already in their library and, tho one might well tweak the LSA and/or advance, in the case of dual pattern cams to stay with lobe combinations typically used together.

Okay. In order to acheive the 4-7 swap or 4-7/-2-3 swap is to have a cam ground for a gen I sbc engine. I was just wondering how the firing order was acheived with the LS blocks of today.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:48 PM
skaping
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jackson
While theory suggests 4/7 swap shouldn't sound different, practice has shown otherwise.

Regional circle track rules prohibit 4/7 swap cams. Some of the more experienced tech guys (track inspectors) can & have identified likely cam cheat suspects via exhaust note. Corroboration usually achieved as simply as taking a look at distributor cap & the order plug wires are arranged in. Protest monies ($teardown$) will verify; seldom occurs 'though 'cuz it's lots cheaper to simply accept being tossed as DNF. Yes, with open exhausts, a savvy tech guy can hear the difference.

True, there're "cheater caps" too that re-arrange wire order ... but those are known too ... & one peek beneath it & it's definately over.

*everything on internet's suspect; including the very words I just wrote.
OK, I was thinking street car exhaust. I guess on a car with open headers it is plausible to hear a difference as you are hearing just one side of the engine and the rythm would be different. I guess that was a quick dismissal on my part given I have been able to determine which plug is fouled on a racing engine by listening to the exhaust. Thanks for your explanation Jackson and others.
Steve
Old 03-08-2010, 07:39 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Okay. In order to acheive the 4-7 swap or 4-7/-2-3 swap is to have a cam ground for a gen I sbc engine. I was just wondering how the firing order was acheived with the LS blocks of today.
They've simply rearranging a few cam lobes and re-ordered when the plugs fire...
Old 03-08-2010, 08:56 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The short answer for the 'casual' driver with a Chevy engine is "No". The firing order is a design feature and is dependent on the lobe positions of the cam. As mentioned, if a 4-7 swap cam is installed, then the normal #4 and #7 wire positions in the distributor cap are reversed.

And, yes, you can rewire the distributor so that the engine will run backwards...but you would have to reverse the idle timing to the "retarded" side of TDC ; but it wouldn't do much for the torque converter in an automatic tranny. [A novel little 'factoid' that has no useful purpose for anyone on this Forum.]
Old 03-09-2010, 07:07 AM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Firing orders

G'day,

I don't have any experience with 4/7 swaps, but one reason I have seen quoted is to do away with having two adjacent cylinders firing sequentially. In the case of a SB1, these two are 5 & 7. If you swap the firing order from 18436572 to 18736542, you then have 2 & 4 running sequentially, so what have you gained?

All V8 engines have one thing in common, the centre four cylinders fire for 360 degrees of crankshaft rotation, then the outer four fire for the remaining 360. (Or the other way around) Doesn't matter if it's a Chev, Ford, Buick or Holden, they all do this. The only exception would be an engine fitted with a single plane crankshaft, where each bank runs like a four cylinder engine with equal 90 degree firings along each side. Trouble is, they vibrate like crazy though, unless a lot of money is spent on balancing it.

For the street, I wouldn't bother with a 4/7 swap as you would be hard pressed to notice any gain, although I bow to the Lord Lars and accept that the exhaust note would be different. I would rather spend the money on a 180 degree header system and then you would REALLY notice the different exhaust note. And probably some neddies too!

Just my 02c worth.

Regards from Down Under

aussiejohn
Old 04-07-2010, 12:44 PM
Black_Magic
Safety Car

Received 448 Likes on 205 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year (appearance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
CI 4-5-7-9-10-11 Car Show Winner
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-9-10-11 Vet

Here's what stock firing order look like:

George

Get notified of new replies

To Can firing order be changed

Quick Reply: Can firing order be changed