C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

windows leaking

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 03:56 PM
rnc
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default windows leaking

'93 both windows leaking water at top front. Have all new rubber seals on doors and top. Have heard of using silicone on the gap, but not recommended by some. Welcome a solution... Rain coming!
Old 11-06-2014, 06:53 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

May not be able to get it to stop leaking....depending on what weatherstrip you installed. Some of the aftermarket weatherstrips are too dense and cause for sealing issues.

DUB
Old 11-06-2014, 07:32 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by rnc
'93 both windows leaking water at top front. Have all new rubber seals on doors and top. Have heard of using silicone on the gap, but not recommended by some. Welcome a solution... Rain coming!
Hi
Is it leaking at the windshield header or the targa side? Or the windshield header weatherstrip to targa weatherstrip?

When the roof is on and tighened the targa weatherstrip gets pushed against the windshield header weatherstrip to seal the join.

If the side window does not go up enough or doesnt tilt inward toward the seals, you can adjust the window up limit and the tilt of the window.

See image below, the circled area is the side window tilt adjustment and one of two height adjustement points. One is near the front of the door and is like an L bracket that limits the front part of window height.
The rear guide has two screws that can adjust the hight, the screw at 90 degree angle can be accessed with a socket set to adjust the angle of the window inward or out.

Note only a small adjustment makes a big difference.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:07 PM
DUB
Race Director

The main issue I have found is that the weatherstripping ( if it is not latex) can often times be too dense and not want to seal correctly where the targa roof and the 'A' pillar meet. It should not bunch up there....and that can be controlled by how the 'A' pillar weatherstrip is installed.

I AGREE with samsonb....that if aftermarket weatherstrips are being installed and they are NOT latex...the mounts for the targe roof MUST be re-adjusted ESPECIALLY if you have an acrylic top. IF you don't...with an acrylic top...it can crack and or have buckles form in time. Seeing how I do not install NON-latex weatherstrips at all...I can not verify if damage to a painted targa roof can occur.

DUB
Old 11-09-2014, 11:23 AM
Ozzstar
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
The main issue I have found is that the weatherstripping ( if it is not latex) can often times be too dense and not want to seal correctly where the targa roof and the 'A' pillar meet. It should not bunch up there....and that can be controlled by how the 'A' pillar weatherstrip is installed.

I AGREE with samsonb....that if aftermarket weatherstrips are being installed and they are NOT latex...the mounts for the targe roof MUST be re-adjusted ESPECIALLY if you have an acrylic top. IF you don't...with an acrylic top...it can crack and or have buckles form in time. Seeing how I do not install NON-latex weatherstrips at all...I can not verify if damage to a painted targa roof can occur.

DUB
Which brand of weatherstripping do you use Dub, in this case?
Old 11-09-2014, 05:31 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Ozzstar
Which brand of weatherstripping do you use Dub, in this case?
I get the latex weatherstrips from Lone Star Caliper.
I believe Ecklers also sells the Lone Star Caliper weatherstrips also.....and maybe Mid America. Possibly Corvette Central. I get them straight from the source.

DUB
Old 11-09-2014, 08:42 PM
BucfanTitan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Saving this info to see if I can fix my top issues. I have in the upper corner where the window, windshield, and top meet it leaks. also can hear the wind blowing in the car at highway speeds
Old 11-10-2014, 05:52 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by samsonb
How good are those weatherstrips?

I had thought Lone Star was getting bad reviews on here, but maybe it was a different brand.

I do know putting rubber weatherstrips on the top doesn't mesh with latex on the A and B pillar. I think the ends on the rubber were to big/thick compared to the OEM latex and wouldn't let the top sit down all of the way. I ended up later on getting a top with the OEM latex and that sits down alot better into the A and B pillar weatherstripping.

One bad thing at least with the Latex is the OEM stuff will form an impression. Real noticeable on the A pillar as the front lip of the top will leave an impression, and if you replace tops a few times, then the A pillar weatherstripping will get flattened out and not seal well. I think the front lips of the tops don't exactly sit in the same place from top to top. Especially with rebuilt tops.
Lone Star did have a problem in the coating sticking. That has been corrected.

I have had my fill with the crappy weatherstrips that is out there and will NOT install it....they are too dense There is ALWAYS something that causes a problem in fit...or proper window operation, etc.

Nothing is perfect...so if impressions in the weatherstrip are a concern...then install a weatherstrip that is so hard that nothing will an impression or seal against it....its out there.

Damned if you do...damned if you don't.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To windows leaking

Quick Reply: windows leaking