Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C5 Tech
Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace Sponsored by
Karl Chevrolet

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-07-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
mikeidentity
Junior Member
 
mikeidentity's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles CA
Default PCV smog fail?

Hey guys. Did a search but couldnt find what i was looking for.

I went in to get a smog check and the guy told me i failed the visual check because of missing pcv hose on driver side. There is one pcv hose on the passenger side but the driver side seems to have a cap over it.

I just bought this car and im pretty sure the previous owner did not touch the mentioned items. Anyone here ever have same issues when smogging?
mikeidentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:12 PM   #2
lucky131969
Tech Contributor
 
lucky131969's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: Hoffman Estates IL
Send a message via Yahoo to lucky131969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeidentity View Post
Hey guys. Did a search but couldnt find what i was looking for.

I went in to get a smog check and the guy told me i failed the visual check because of missing pcv hose on driver side. There is one pcv hose on the passenger side but the driver side seems to have a cap over it.

I just bought this car and im pretty sure the previous owner did not touch the mentioned items. Anyone here ever have same issues when smogging?
No info in your sig....no idea year/model you have.....

Take pics
lucky131969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:48 PM   #3
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Bill Curlee's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2001
Location: Gales Ferry CT
Default

I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 100% There are at least TWO different C5 PCV designs for the C5. Need specific info and some pictures of the drivers side of the top of the engine.

Unless the Inspection Dude KNOWS Corvette's,,,,,,,,, hes probably misinformed and its most likely NOT the PCV thats missing or capped. If its capped,,, it could be a late model C5 and that part of the PCV should be capped.

Please provide the requested info and fill out your profile. Who knows,,, You and i could live in the same community.

BC

BC
Bill Curlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:16 PM   #4
mikeidentity
Junior Member
 
mikeidentity's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Curlee View Post
I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 100% There are at least TWO different C5 PCV designs for the C5. Need specific info and some pictures of the drivers side of the top of the engine.

Unless the Inspection Dude KNOWS Corvette's,,,,,,,,, hes probably misinformed and its most likely NOT the PCV thats missing or capped. If its capped,,, it could be a late model C5 and that part of the PCV should be capped.

Please provide the requested info and fill out your profile. Who knows,,, You and i could live in the same community.

BC

BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky131969 View Post
No info in your sig....no idea year/model you have.....

Take pics
Thanks guys. sorry should've posted some info.

2004 coupe mn6 got about 31k miles on it, just picked it up last week. I live in southern california.

here are some pictures I took after work... I was pretty frustrated with the whole situation and I can't really blame the smog guy since he probably has never worked on a vette. anyway someone can share a picture of what there pcv looks like? or any suggestions on how to prove to this guy that this is how it came out of the factory?

or should I just go smog it somewhere else.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by mikeidentity; 09-07-2011 at 11:24 PM.
mikeidentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:23 AM   #5
Dave68
CF Senior Member
 
Dave68's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2000
Location: San Diego CA
Default

Check out:

http://www.conceptualpolymer.com/PCV...eplacement.htm
__________________


2001 Mag-Red Coupe 6-Speed, 1SC, Z51, Born: May 17, 2001, delivered June 7th, 2001
315.9 RWHP 337.7 RWTQ (Dynojet) 6/8/02 (no mods)
328.8 RWHP 352.2 RWTQ (Dynojet) 5/22/04 with Halltech Stinger intake and CAI mod
Quad Round Borla Stingers 9/6/03
2002 Z06 airbox, 2013
Cold-air scoop mod 5/20/04
TPS Z06 shifter (replaced BPP on 12/26/11)
Intake install, oil trap, and CAI mod: http://www.conceptualpolymer.com/corvette_c5_corner.htm
Dave68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:42 AM   #6
Lothar34
CF Senior Member
 
Lothar34's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2010
Location: Pearland, TX
Lothar34
Send a message via AIM to Lothar34 Send a message via Yahoo to Lothar34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeidentity View Post
Thanks guys. sorry should've posted some info.

2004 coupe mn6 got about 31k miles on it, just picked it up last week. I live in southern california.

here are some pictures I took after work... I was pretty frustrated with the whole situation and I can't really blame the smog guy since he probably has never worked on a vette. anyway someone can share a picture of what there pcv looks like? or any suggestions on how to prove to this guy that this is how it came out of the factory?

or should I just go smog it somewhere else.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Your setup is correct and does not appear to have been modified. Is there not a PCV hose diagram under the hood somewhere?

Take it somewhere else.
Lothar34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:43 AM   #7
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Bill Curlee's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2001
Location: Gales Ferry CT
Default

Your SMOG INSPECTOR is a BOZO! He is totally INCORRECT in his diagnosis!! The late model C5, "DOES NOT" use that PCV port. It has a new design PCV system that is improved and the ONLY PCV connection is in the PASSENGERS SIDE and uses a small U shaped hose with the PCV valve inside it that connects to the nipple on the valve valley and then routes directly to the intake manifold.

Click the image to open in full size.

You can see the PCV nipple in this pic:


Click the image to open in full size.

I hope you go back and run this up his BUTT!
Bill Curlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:30 PM   #8
mikeidentity
Junior Member
 
mikeidentity's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Curlee View Post
Your SMOG INSPECTOR is a BOZO! He is totally INCORRECT in his diagnosis!! The late model C5, "DOES NOT" use that PCV port. It has a new design PCV system that is improved and the ONLY PCV connection is in the PASSENGERS SIDE and uses a small U shaped hose with the PCV valve inside it that connects to the nipple on the valve valley and then routes directly to the intake manifold.

Click the image to open in full size.

You can see the PCV nipple in this pic:


Click the image to open in full size.

I hope you go back and run this up his BUTT!
thanks I appreciate it.

I plan on showing this as proof... the whole process seems backwards to me. Shouldn't they be the ones proving me why it's an illegal setup?!
mikeidentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:52 PM   #9
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Bill Curlee's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2001
Location: Gales Ferry CT
Default

When I get home tonight and have access to my ESI, I will try to send you the PCV hose routeing for an early C5 and one for a late model C5.

If that isnt proof,,, nothing is!

BC
Bill Curlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #10
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14
 
Quicksilver Vert 01's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2008
Location: Tolland County CT
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeidentity View Post
Shouldn't they be the ones proving me why it's an illegal setup?!
You are absolutely right about that! It's a shame that some idiot doesn't know what he's talking about, but still has the authority to cause needless grief to people.

Here in CT, emissions test stations don't even look under your hood.
It's a simple pass or fail, based on the data obtained from the OBDII diagnostic connector.

ALL states that test for emissions should follow a standardized procedure.
Quicksilver Vert 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:14 PM   #11
bumble-z
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 2007
Location: Belleville Mich.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver Vert 01 View Post
You are absolutely right about that! It's a shame that some idiot doesn't know what he's talking about, but still has the authority to cause needless grief to people.

Here in CT, emissions test stations don't even look under your hood.
It's a simple pass or fail, based on the data obtained from the OBDII diagnostic connector.

ALL states that test for emissions should follow a standardized procedure.
Well said.
bumble-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:34 PM   #12
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Bill Curlee's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2001
Location: Gales Ferry CT
Default

I sent you some stuff by PM. Check it out. You may need to use OPEN WITH file like paint or bit map to open the files. Let me know if you can open them

BC

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 09-08-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Bill Curlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:36 PM   #13
Z06supercharged
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2008
Default

Its sad but many smog inspection techs don't know crap. There are so many different models out there they cant possibly know what even half of them are suppose to look like smog device hookups and hoses. But in all fairness I love smog tech idiots because you can get cars by them that are way illegal with some things and they dont even know. We have a list around here which techs are idiots for modded cars.
Z06supercharged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:28 PM   #14
mountainbiker2
CF Senior Member
 
mountainbiker2's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2004
Location: Burbank. CA.
Default

My setup is exactly like the OP. I have a 99. Go to anther shop.

Steve A.
mountainbiker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:36 PM   #15
Lothar34
CF Senior Member
 
Lothar34's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2010
Location: Pearland, TX
Lothar34
Send a message via AIM to Lothar34 Send a message via Yahoo to Lothar34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothar34 View Post
Is there not a PCV hose diagram under the hood somewhere?
Do you have this sticker over by your washer fluid reservoir?:

Click the image to open in full size.
Lothar34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:20 AM   #16
mikeidentity
Junior Member
 
mikeidentity's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles CA
Default

My sticker looks like this.

Click the image to open in full size.
mikeidentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:41 AM   #17
Lothar34
CF Senior Member
 
Lothar34's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2010
Location: Pearland, TX
Lothar34
Send a message via AIM to Lothar34 Send a message via Yahoo to Lothar34
Default

Yeah mine's different because it's a '98.

Anyway go back and shove that guy's nose into the sticker.
Lothar34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:41 AM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Tech
Reload this Page PCV smog fail?
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
c5, controversy, corvette, ct, diagram, emission, factory, fail, failed, ls1, pcv, routing, smog, stations, tech, valve


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:00 PM.


Emails & Password Backup