C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange No Start Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 06:00 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Glad you fixed it. We should have asked you what the Security light was doing when you could not get it to start.

Mr. Sam
Old 12-26-2015, 10:34 AM
VengeanceVette
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dadaroo
Glad you fixed it. We should have asked you what the Security light was doing when you could not get it to start.

Mr. Sam
If I put the new key I had cut in the security light would stay solid, but if I put the old key in one specific way (up or down it will only work one way) it didn't come on at all.
Old 12-26-2015, 11:39 AM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by VengeanceVette
Problem fixed! First i would like to thank everyone who chimed in, and second the problem ended up being loose contacts on the harness that goes to the resistor. I performed a drag test and it had hardly any drag, so i pulled it apart and bent the connection tabs up and cleaned all contacts with R22. Haven't had a problem since!
"I performed a drag test and it had hardly any drag" ????

Don't understand what you are doing??? Need more info to understand. Just curious.

Last edited by helga203; 12-26-2015 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:14 AM
VengeanceVette
Instructor

Originally Posted by helga203
"I performed a drag test and it had hardly any drag" ????

Don't understand what you are doing??? Need more info to understand. Just curious.
A drag test is when you use a male connector and put it inside the female connector and pull it out to see if it has plenty of tension. If its loose that means you don't have a good connection and like in my case will ultimately cause the car not to start randomly.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:19 AM
VengeanceVette
Instructor

Well just when I thought I had the car fixed, it wouldn't start these past few morning when it got cold outside down here in Georgia. I am completely confused now when I thought I had it down. Any ideas ?
Old 01-05-2016, 12:52 PM
VengeanceVette
Instructor

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
What is "not start"?

Does not crank???

Cranks but will not run????

Since you found problems and made changes and the problem seemed to be corrected you should treat this as a brand new problem and redo all the diagnosis you had done.

Are there any codes?

What does the security light do with the key in the ON position and not cranking the car??

Do you hear the TDR click when you attempt to crank the car?
Turn the key and the cluster lights up but car does not turnover. There are no codes, and the security light briefly comes on then goes off. The TDR does not click, I had to start the car by jumping the red and purple wires on the tdr.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:01 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Lets START at the TDR..

1- Do you have 12 VDC on the YELLOW wire when you make all the steps to crank the engine? Use a DC Volt Meter and TEST!

2. IF,, you jump the YELLOW/BLACK stripe wire to ground, will the engine START & RUN when you make all the steps to crank the engine?

Please try those steps and answer those questions.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:10 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,216 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Lets START at the TDR..

1- Do you have 12 VDC on the YELLOW wire when you make all the steps to crank the engine? Use a DC Volt Meter and TEST!

2. IF,, you jump the YELLOW/BLACK stripe wire to ground, will the engine START & RUN when you make all the steps to crank the engine?

What is a TDR?
Old 01-05-2016, 02:11 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by rrwirsi
What is a TDR?
THEFT DETERRENT RELAY! (TDR) Look in the passengers foot well... Remove the toe board that covers the fuse panel/BCM. On the fire wall, above the BCM will be some relays. Different numbers for different years.

The relay with FOUR WIRES is the TDR. The wire colors are: Purple, Red, Yellow and Yellow Black Stripe.
The following users liked this post:
rrwirsi (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 09:08 PM
drtyTshrt
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the same issue. I have only cleaned the contacts in the switch past the tumbler per Bill's write up. I thought that did the trick but it still happens occasionally. I put my key in the same way every time I start the car (one side is missing the logo) I only have one key, it seems to not happen as often this way. It is not a shock any more I just turn the key off and say a prayer and it usually starts right up.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:22 AM
VengeanceVette
Instructor

Lets START at the TDR..

For question 1 I did last night after the car sat in heat all day, but I tested it again this morning after letting it get cold and had nothing going to the yellow wire.

For question 2 it did not cause the car to start.

I've even went as far as to putting a resistor ohmed out to 1.13K for key #5 and made sure it worked last night while the car was warm and It did. This morning while cold apparently didn't fix anything. I have no clue what this problem could be
Old 01-06-2016, 08:24 AM
VengeanceVette
Instructor

Originally Posted by drtyTshrt
I have the same issue. I have only cleaned the contacts in the switch past the tumbler per Bill's write up. I thought that did the trick but it still happens occasionally. I put my key in the same way every time I start the car (one side is missing the logo) I only have one key, it seems to not happen as often this way. It is not a shock any more I just turn the key off and say a prayer and it usually starts right up.
Haha I wish my prayers would be answered in the morning when its cold out and my car wont start!
Old 01-06-2016, 08:27 AM
VengeanceVette
Instructor

Jumping the red and purple wire bypasses the TDR function completely.

Refer to the wiring diagram that Bill posted in post #8 of this thread.

What Bill is asking you to do will determine if you are getting the proper voltage to the TDR to operate it properly or if the problem is after the TDR.

If you have 12V on the yellow wire and you then connect the yellow/black wire to ground and the engine cranks then the issue is in the BCM which should be providing that ground.

If there is NOT 12V on the yellow wire then the problem is BEFORE the TDR. Specifically it could be the clutch pedal start switch or fuse #14 in the IP fuse box or the ignition switch itself.
There is 12V when the car is in a warm climate but as soon as it gets below approximately 40 degrees I lose voltage which is ultimately causing the car to not start. When I connected the wires it still wouldn't crank.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:18 AM
VengeanceVette
Instructor

With someone holding the key in the start position you need to start checking voltages using the wiring diagram in Post #7.

When no voltage at the yellow wire of the TDR then you need to check the purple wire at the clutch pedal start switch. If there is 12V at the purple wire then the switch is the problem, If no voltage at the purple wire then you need to check for 12V at fuse #14 in the IP fuse box. Check both sides of fuse 14.

Basically you need to keep backing up in the circuit to find where the voltage stops.
I will check fuse 14 tonight, but my car is an auto so should I check the neutral safety switch instead of the clutch pedal start switch?
Old 01-06-2016, 09:54 AM
enoniam
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 46 Posts

I suspect the Park Neutral Safety Switch and would try moving the shifter lever around some when it isn't starting.

My wife drove my truck to the store when I was out of town. She called me when the truck wouldn't start at the store, doing pretty much exactly what you are describing. I advised her to try wiggling the column shift lever some. Sure enough it fired right up for her.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:10 PM
VengeanceVette
Instructor

Yes...

My error, I thought the car was a manual.

Just looked at my shop manual and the park neutral switch is bolted to the side of the trans so your only check that will be easy is at the output side of fuse 14.
Went outside of my dealership to get the car and it was about 55 outside so of course the car started up, brought it in my shop and tested #14 fuse and have 12V at start up. Retested the tdr and had 12V at the yellow wire and 12V at the yellow black wire. I'm dazzled
Old 01-07-2016, 08:47 AM
VengeanceVette
Instructor

You have a poor connection somewhere in the components shown in the wiring diagram in post #7. Components that get cold can shrink enough to cause intermittent or failed electrical connections if the connection is suspect to begin with.

Since your early posts indicated you had worked around the ignition switch I would revisit the connectors to the ignition switch. Disconnect them and examine for deformed pins. I've seen a few posts with starting issues that were traced back to damaged pins in the connectors at the ignition switch.

As stated by another poster the park neutral switch could be problematic. When you get a chance to get the car in the air I would examine the switch (drivers side of the trans.) to see if the wires may be damaged, the connector is on tight and I would unplug the connector and check for water or corrosion or damaged pins.

Has there ever been water on the carpet in the passenger foot well?? I have read posts where water had gotten into the fuse box and corroded connections causing all sorts of strange electrical problems.

Intermittent electrical problems are a bitch to resolve. Have to keep plugging away at the components to find the cause.
After using a test light this morning I'm with you on the problem being a short somewhere, because I put the test light on the #14 fuse in foot-well and sure enough the light would barely light up for a second and then turn off. same goes for when I put the test light in the yellow wires for the TDR. I'm not very good with electrical so I don't know if I should test the ignition switch wires now or the neutral safety switch. Thanks a ton for your help I'm finally narrowing it down.

Get notified of new replies

To Strange No Start Issue

Old 01-07-2016, 03:33 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

After using a test light this morning I'm with you on the problem being a short somewhere, because I put the test light on the #14 fuse in foot-well and sure enough the light would barely light up for a second and then turn off. same goes for when I put the test light in the yellow wires for the TDR. I'm not very good with electrical so I don't know if I should test the ignition switch wires now or the neutral safety switch. Thanks a ton for your help I'm finally narrowing it down.
YOU DONT HAVE A SHORT! If you did, the fuse would BLOW or you would see smoke and flames. You might have a POOR CONNECTION or a HIGH RESISTANCE CONNECTION but, not a short.

If the Ignition Switch had/has dirty, corroded or BURNT CONTACTS inside the switch, that would cause the VOLTAGE/Current out of the switch on those contacts to be LOW or even fail.

You really need to get a good Multimeter and learn how to use it to troubleshoot. Unless your made of cash, you need to do everything you can to tool up and troubleshoot and fix your own car..

Bill

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 01-07-2016 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:51 PM
VengeanceVette
Instructor

YOU DONT HAVE A SHORT! If you did, the fuse would BLOW or you would see smoke and flames. You might have a POOR CONNECTION or a HIGH RESISTANCE CONNECTION but, not a short.

If the Ignition Switch had/has dirty, corroded or BURNT CONTACTS inside the switch, that would cause the VOLTAGE/Current out of the switch on those contacts to be LOW or even fail.

You really need to get a good Multimeter and learn how to use it to troubleshoot. Unless your made of cash, you need to do everything you can to tool up and troubleshoot and fix your own car..

Bill
When testing the voltage at the TDR is there a way to keep the car from starting while its hot outside?? Or is this a problem that must be tested while its cold outside and not functioning properly?
Old 01-12-2016, 06:04 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

When testing the voltage at the TDR is there a way to keep the car from starting while its hot outside?? Or is this a problem that must be tested while its cold outside and not functioning properly?
If your car isnt having an issue, its a great time to take measurements to see how its SUPPOSE to be working.

That way, when its not working, you will see the difference in voltage readings.

I kind of dont understand your question. Do you mean, what would cause the starter not to crank the engine when it hot out?

Bill

Quick Reply: Strange No Start Issue