C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmonic Balancer slip-Crank pulley drill pin kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 09:27 AM
FLORIDA
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Harmonic Balancer slip-Crank pulley drill pin kit?

Has anyone used Crank pulley drill pin kit from eBay?
Is this the best way to fix the slipping Hamonic balancer/Crank pulley. My crank bolt come loose and the pulley walks out until it hits the rack and pinion.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:18 AM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Received 352 Likes on 278 Posts

The pin kit will keep the pulley from spinning on the crank snout. If the bolt is backing out you should probably get a new ARP or GM bolt so you can replace the old one when you go to pin the crank.

If your pulley is spinning off and you aren't doing anything outside the ordinary with your car the pulley may need replaced as well.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:24 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The OEM Dampener bolt is a SPECIAL ONE TIME USE "TORQUE TO YEILD" bolt. It has a VERY SPECIFIC tightening and torque procedure that IF NOT followed will result in guaranteed failure.

Are you using a new bolt and following the torque procedure to the letter??????????????

IF,,,,,,,,,,,, the dampener is /was spinning on the crank, you will need a NEW DAMPENER and you MIGHT have permanent crank to dampener clearance issues. The joint is a VERY TIGHT interference fit and the bolt just holds it on the crank.

Bill
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Curlee:
ArmchairArchitect (10-09-2017), SG Lou (01-15-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 04:53 PM
FLORIDA
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '07

Thanks Bill I know you have been working on Vettes many year. I have read many of your posts.
Not spinning just slipped enough to unscrew the bolt.
What is your opinion using Drill pin kit that drills along the crank axis? Is this the way to go?

Last edited by FLORIDA; 01-14-2016 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:15 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by FLORIDA
Thanks Bill I know you have been working on Vettes many year. I have read many of your posts.
Not spinning just slipped enough to unscrew the bolt.
What is your opinion using Drill pin kit that drills along the crank axis? Is this the way to go?
Thats called the ATI Side pinning kit. IMHO,, Its an OUTSTANDING kit and works excellent!

Thats what i used on my 02 Z. You MUST have a dampener with a key way to use that kit. Power Bond is one of the ones that have a keyway.

The OEM Bolt has a coating on the bolt head that grips the dampener face and prevents it from spinning on the crank

If the bolt is truely LOOSE, you have a spinning issue and possible crank snout damage.

You have to purchase the complete ATI pinning kit to properly install the pin. The dampener has to be removed from the crank to use the drill guide and all the tools in the kit to install the pin.

With the pin that inserts between the dampener and the crank, the drill guide bolts to the front of the crank and there is NO need to remove the dampener to install it,

Front installed pin in an OEM Dampener:

Old 01-15-2016, 07:39 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

The biggest issue with the pin along the axis of the crank is if you need to remove later and try to re-align or install a new damper.

Also, which damper did you install?
Old 01-15-2016, 11:14 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

My 04, with approximately 62k on the clock has a very, and I mean very slight wobble. Been keeping an eye on it and still hasn't changed.
When the time comes, and I know it will come, this procedure will be a MUST -DO when it's Balancer replacement time.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:53 AM
FLORIDA
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '07

The LS1 crank pulley drill pin kit from eBay worked like a charm. Easy to use. Great fir. No more problems. Highly recommended.

Get notified of new replies

To Harmonic Balancer slip-Crank pulley drill pin kit?

Quick Reply: Harmonic Balancer slip-Crank pulley drill pin kit?