C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Cover Seal Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 09:09 PM
rcwilbur
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Timing Cover Seal Replacement

I originally posted this in the C5 General Category but see that it is more appropriate here:

I did a head a cam swap on my 99 C5 a few years ago and followed the LS1Howto process. I must not have gotten the timing cover aligned correctly and am going to have to replace the seal. When I swapped the cam, I had to remove radiator to allow enough room to pull the cam out of the block. I'm thinking there should be enough room to pull the balancer (after moving the steering rack) and remover the timing cover without removing the radiator, but just checking to see if anyone has done it and knows whether the radiator can stay. Thanks
Old 05-27-2016, 12:01 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

NO need to remove the radiator. When you replaced the cam, did you install a new Balancer??

The OEM GM Front Cover seals were very hard and had a tendency to SCAR the dampener sealing surface. My old seal carved out a large area of sealing surface. I had OIL E V E R Y W H E R E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The following users liked this post:
rcwilbur (05-31-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 06:33 PM
SPEED750
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

When you replace the seal, leave the timing cover lose and install the harmonic balancer.
THEN tighten down the timing cover. If it's bolted down before the harmonic you have a chance that the seal wont be centered.

This is how I did mine and it's bone dry.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:25 AM
rcwilbur
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
NO need to remove the radiator. When you replaced the cam, did you install a new Balancer??

The OEM GM Front Cover seals were very hard and had a tendency to SCAR the dampener sealing surface. My old seal carved out a large area of sealing surface. I had OIL E V E R Y W H E R E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow! That really did score the dampener. I will have to take a look before I put it all back together. I was not leaking oil before the cam install, so I am assuming it wasn't scored and I just didn't get it aligned correctly. It held oil for two years but now is leaking pretty badly.

THanks for sharing the picture.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:32 PM
rcwilbur
Intermediate

Just wanted to thank you again for taking the time to reply. After reading about all of the balancer issues on others have had and looking at mine I decided to go ahead and replace it. I probably would not have thought about it without you suggesting it and doing a little more reading. Thx again.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:16 PM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I would highly recommend using one of these alignit tools from saccity corvette. Allows you to line up the front cover with excellent accuracy. They make one for the rear cover as well. However, if you've already installed the seal in the front cover, it's too late. Can't get the seal out without destroying it. You could however just buy another seal.

http://www.saccitycorvette.com/AlignItTools.html
Old 05-31-2016, 05:50 PM
rcwilbur
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SaberD
I would highly recommend using one of these alignit tools from saccity corvette. Allows you to line up the front cover with excellent accuracy. They make one for the rear cover as well. However, if you've already installed the seal in the front cover, it's too late. Can't get the seal out without destroying it. You could however just buy another seal.

http://www.saccitycorvette.com/AlignItTools.html
Thanks. It was delivered in the mail today. I want to do all in my power to stop the oil leak and not have to do this project again.
Old 06-04-2016, 04:36 PM
rcwilbur
Intermediate

Thanks again Bill for suggesting that I look at the balancer and consider installing a new one. It may have been bad when I replaced the cam and I did not know any better. In any event here is what it looked like when I got it off the car today. The scoring is really bad. Without your post I might not have put on another one. Thanks again.
Attached Images  
Old 06-04-2016, 09:22 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

No problem my friend... Glad to be able to help you resolve your issue.

Bill
Old 06-05-2016, 09:22 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Don't follow LS1howto on this. The methods just make a mess of things and can lead to damaged crank threads from damper removal and installation. All of the RTV he puts on the bottom of the timing cover is unnecessary and makes a mess. His torque value for the GM bolt is wrong as well.

Put dabs in the corner per the service manual and correctly align with the tool you bought and it shouldn't leak.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:14 AM
rcwilbur
Intermediate

Thanks. I'll take a look at the installation instructions and the torque specs in the service manual.

When I got the timing cover off, the crank seal was so loose I could spin it in the opening with my finger. I grabbed it and it almost fell out into my hand. I'm wondering if perhaps the seat is damaged from the seal spinning in the opening? I have not seen anyone describe this as a problem in anything I read, but am really trying to avoid having to do this again if at all possible.

Thanks.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:26 PM
rcwilbur
Intermediate

A short follow-up on my prior post. I installed a Summit Balancer SUM-C2501--an upgrade from the OEM balancer but not as expensive as the ATI balancer. I used Felpro gasket/seals and an ARP crank bolt.

Everything went back together well and I am now enjoying the car without oil being sprayed throughout the engine compartment. And surpringly (at least to me) the car seems to run better, especially at idle. Makes me enjoy driving the car again. Thanks again for everyone who responded. Carl.

Get notified of new replies

To Timing Cover Seal Replacement

Quick Reply: Timing Cover Seal Replacement